Struggling coffee shop owner gets generous tip

Struggling Coffee Shop Owner Gets Generous Tip

A coffee shop owner in Spokane, Washington, was truly struggling to keep his business open. Then, an unexpected act of kindness change everything.

Isaiah Crandall says he's been forced to close down his shop numerous times since his wife Tammy was diagnosed with breast cancer last year.

Crandall: "Things just become very, very tight. Everything. Life is way different when something like this is going on in your life."

But he got some unexpected help from a charity called "Big Table" that helps workers in the service industry. The founder, Kevin Finch, heard about Crandall's story and paid him a visit during lunch ... and left him a little something extra.

Finch: "I planned to come in when I knew he was working. Ordered a grilled cheese sandwich and left the tip."

Crandall: "It was a $500 tip. When something like that comes around, it's absolutely appreciated. I can't say enough for people going through what we are."

He used the money to pay for his wife's treatment and plan a family vacation. Customers have served up pretty generous tips before to help out some hard workers.

This year, one waitress in Los Angeles became the "victim" of what's probably the best prank ever after a fake customer left her a $1,000 tip, a paid trip to Hawaii, a free car and a dream job offer.

Owen April 15 2014 at 8:08 AM

Wow.........

chibblitz April 15 2014 at 6:21 PM

God Bless people like these.

enrico.casem@gmail.com April 15 2014 at 7:53 PM

wow

Beverly April 15 2014 at 7:58 PM

Very nice story.......$10, $100 or $500 it's better then all the negativity we hear or read about every day.

silsoileau Beverly April 15 2014 at 8:51 PM

men to that

Madeleine April 15 2014 at 8:12 PM

Stories like this one make me smile. Reminds me that so many people are good.

ltg1201 Madeleine April 15 2014 at 9:35 PM

Yes, there are many good people in the world.

ltg1201 April 15 2014 at 9:34 PM

Back in December, 2013 FOX News NY ran a special of a small boy needing a prosthetic arm & $25K was needed. While sitting on Santa's lap he was asked what he wanted for Christmas, he told Santa that he wanted to play ball like the other boys and he needed an arm. So as the story goes over $50K was raised. We were so proud to have contributed $3K for this worthy cause. It is stories like these that make me happy----------helping others that genuinely need the help. On Christmas Day the little boy was presented with his arm and he is doing well. His uncle had contacted the donors to personally thank them. We love helping others in need.

bonitoking61 ltg1201 April 15 2014 at 10:45 PM

OMG your not much of a narcissist are you. It's one thing praising others, but to give yourself praise kind of spoils it.

IRENE April 15 2014 at 11:03 PM

WELL, I GOT AN EVEN BETTER STORY. 11 YEARS AGO I HAD BREAST CANCER FOR THE SECOND TIME...FIRST TIME WAS 18 YEARS BEFORE...I WAS SHOCKED THAT IT CAME BACK AFTER 18 YEARS ON THE SECOND BREAST. ANYWAY, IT WAS MY LAST DAY AT WORK IN THE RESTAURANT BEFORE MY OPERATION....I WORKED THAT CLOSE TO MY OPERATION BECAUSE I NEEDED THE MONEY TO COVER MY EXPRENSES FOR THE TIME I WOULD BE OUT OF WORK.

THE CUSTOMER AND HIS LADY FRIEND THAT I WAS TAKING CARE OF WAS TOLD BY ANOTHER WAITRESS THAT I WAS GOING INTO THE HOSPITAL THE NEXT DAY FOR MY OPERATION. WHEN I CAME OUT OF THE KITCHEN THE TWO CUSTOMERS WERE GONE, I COULDN'T BELEIVE THEY WALKED OUT ON ME WITHOUT PAYING THEIR BILL.. I HAD THEIR BILL AND WAS ABOUT TO GO TO THE BOSS, WHEN I WENT OVER TO THE TABLE AND SAW ON THE CHAIR A NAPKIN THAT LOOKED LIKE IT HAD SOMETHING WRAPPED INSIDE OF IT.

I PICKED IT UP AND INSIDE WAS A LOT OF TWENTY DOLLAR BILLS, I COUNTED THEM IT WAS $1400.00. ON THE INSIDE OF THE NAPKIN THE MAN WROTE THAT IT WAS THE DAYS MONEY FROM HIS BARBER SHOP...HE WROTE" GOOD LUCK TOMORROW, I PAID THEY BILL UP FRONT TO YOUR BOSS, THE MONEY IS TO CARRY YOU OVER. " i WAS IN SHOCK, COULDN'T BELEIVE THAT SOMEONE WOULD DO THAT FOR ME, HE WAS MY ANGEL AND BECAUSE OF WHAT HE DID FOR ME, WHEN I WENT TO THE HOSPITAL THE NEXT DAY, I FELT THERE WAS HOPE AND GOODNESS AROUND ME..I JUST WASN'T THAT AFRAID.

Larry April 15 2014 at 10:19 AM

Bring them on! There ought to be a national awards show for those kindly people.

dmkei April 15 2014 at 6:20 PM

The need to have bells rung and horns blow when we give has become a national epidemic. The need to get patted on the back for everything has become a cancer. I thought this story about a stranger(not so) was going to leave this man a life Changsha amount of money. This was nominal amount. I was shocked this made the news. Give without cameras people. Sad story.

jyc925 April 15 2014 at 11:37 PM

I hope everyone in Spokane gets over to that coffee shop to help support their business. An act of kindness gets paid back two fold. Some organization should get together and start a fund raiser for this couple who is down and out in their luck !! " GET WITH IT SPOKANE"