Months after Craigslist purchase turned deadly, widow speaks out

Months After Craigslist Purchase Turned Deadly, Young Widow Speaks Out

Four months after her husband died in a Craigslist purchase gone bad, a young widow is speaking out for change in the community, FOX59 reports.

Before Jim Vester's death in December, violence was the last thing on his wife Jamie's mind.

"(I) paid attention to it but it didn't really ... hit me until ... it actually happened. Now I'm very aware of everything that's been going on," Jamie Vester said.

Sgt. First Class Jim Vester, who served in the Indiana National Guard, was answering a Craigslist ad to buy an iPad as a Christmas present. Two teenage brothers were later charged with ambushing Vester, shooting and killing him.

"Jim was always helping people and he still is, because this story is still going," Jamie said.

Not only has his story showed the dangers of buying online, but it's changing now, pushing Jamie to reach out.

That became even more clear after recent violence left other women in the same position. In particular, Jamie reached out to Jennifer Trapuzzano, whose husband Nathan was murdered on his daily walk April 1.

"She is the only person who knows what I went through and I know what she's going through," Vester said.

In mementos and photos, even more than the typical family since Jamie is a wedding photographer, she still has Jim with her. She especially remembers his great cooking and loud, lovable personality.

"Jim was a big storyteller. He could tell any story and it would be really funny," Vester said.

Now, it's become her story. One she's using to bring this message to you: reach out, be a mentor and help change your community.

"I'm really calling out to the males to get out there and mentor those boys and maybe we could prevent some of this violence," Vester said. "Every single person could use somebody to love them and be there for them."

To see more of Jamie's message, read her recent blog post here.

dcaddydan April 14 2014 at 10:43 AM

Poor guy. Always go to buy or sell something off of Craigslist with at least 2 or 3 other people. Better yet someone that has a CCL license. The more people with you the better chance a possible robbery will be foiled, its not hard to figure put people.

alspoolhall April 14 2014 at 2:47 PM

Black, white, pink or green. You do the crime, you do the time. It is a cryin' shame that Jim went to meet anyone other than in a public place like the parking lot of a police station.

PAUL B HAMILTON April 14 2014 at 2:45 PM

Eye for eye tooth. For. A tooth needs to come back they took a
life they need
there eyes gauged out and and 50 lashings a day
till there are almost. Dead let there body heal and
start it all over again

Newquest PAUL B HAMILTON April 14 2014 at 2:53 PM

Nice. I'm thinking you might need that very same thing!

franksmoody Newquest April 14 2014 at 3:02 PM

No Newsquest. I think you need it.

Flag +1 rate up
donpantanella April 14 2014 at 2:41 PM

and this is why Texas has the death penalty.....and uses it.

franksmoody donpantanella April 14 2014 at 3:04 PM

I'm glad they use it.

tdiplaci April 14 2014 at 2:31 PM

They should tear out those sickening dreadlocks one at a time and then give each punk 100 lashes with a bull whip. If they do not die from the whipping they should be hung.

Newquest tdiplaci April 14 2014 at 2:56 PM

Just so you understand, they aren't guilty because they are Black. For whatever reason, they committed a crime, they could have been white or hispanic or whatever.

b.shagnasty April 14 2014 at 2:30 PM

Four months ago two black youths ambushed and killed a white guy.

1) Why am I just now reading about this? Had the races been reversed, we'd never hear the end of it.
2) Why is this not a hate crime?

pavkevdoc April 14 2014 at 2:03 PM

sad thing about this death is that these two teenagers will get 15 years for killing this soldier. Serve maybe five years or less and be out on the streets to kill more. Now, if they would have got caught for drugs coke, weed etc. they would get 10 years and serve ten year . Our laws are backwards for stuff like this. These kids know they will not have to serve long terms for this. Jst sad

Will pavkevdoc April 14 2014 at 2:31 PM

10/20/life...

bitemysynergy April 14 2014 at 1:59 PM

String them up and let them rot. I'd rather not pay for these sh*tstains to rot in jail. They deserve death. The swifter and more brutal, the better.

burtonburtoncom April 14 2014 at 11:00 AM

My experience with Craiglist is it brings out nut jobs when trying to find tenants for a residential condo.

nutsietoo April 14 2014 at 1:57 PM

I contacted AOL on line. someone intercepted my request for help and telephoned me to assist me. He said he was calling from AOL. He had me sit in front of the computer and do various things...result was that I needed two new parts $100 & $195 and he would come and install them. I said no thanks.
I telephoned AOL. Please note...I phoned AOL did not go on line. I was told that AOL does not do it that way. The AOL operator was very concerned that I may have given a credit card number.Further investigation showed I had been hacked.BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU PUT ON LINE!!

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal