Man claims mayor duped him into getting a ticket

Man Claims Mayor Is Tricking Drivers Into Getting Tickets

A Cumberland County man says Mechanicsburg's mayor duped him at a pedestrian crosswalk, FOX43 reports. On Thursday Joe Erdos got pulled over and ticketed for failing to stop at a pedestrian crosswalk on Main Street in Mechanicsburg.

"After I got the ticket I was a little bit ticked off about it" said Erdos.

That's because Erdos said he stopped, but the pedestrian never crossed the street -- so he kept driving. A short while later he saw the same pedestrian at the same crosswalk, so he walked up and confronted him while filming it on his cellphone.

In the cellphone video,Erdos said "you acted like you were going to cross the street and then you stopped when I tried to let you go and then they pulled me over." Erdos goes on to say "this is a heck of a scam you got going."

It turns out the person he confronted was Mechanicsburg Mayor Jack Ritter who remembers the incident differently. "He did not yield at a crosswalk and was pulled over and not happy about that. And I don't blame him, he's just not happy about that" said Ritter. Erdos said he feels slighted. "It's a disingenuous way to give people tickets. And that ticket's not cheap, it was $150."

Ritter said he volunteers as part of a program sponsored by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation to reduce pedestrian accidents. As for Erdos, he's no longer upset. "I don't want to turn this into a personal attack on the guy. He was probably surprised that I was coming up to him" said Erdos.

Mechanicsburg's Chief of Police said that when they started the program 3 years ago there were roughly 12 pedestrian accidents as opposed to about 4 last year.

semperlost April 14 2014 at 7:41 PM

Good thing this mayor wasn't in Nevada. People know how to handle government corruption there.

chris1957nj April 14 2014 at 1:50 PM

It has so little to do with Public Safety, and everything to do with revenue generating. Sad, really sad, but I see it around here in NJ as well.

David April 14 2014 at 1:49 PM

Just one more reason to have cameras in your car. You have to protect yourself from these bureaucrats. They admitted there is a "program" and that program is to entrap people and fine them because they know the majority of people can not and will not fight things like this. The courts, the police and the lawyers are not on your side. They all socialize outside of the office so in reality when you come in front of a judge with only your word....who are they going to believe and protect? NOT YOU, the public

Rodger April 14 2014 at 8:38 PM

This reeks of total screwing a driver who did the right thing. The mayor should be ashamed of
duping this driver this way. This says a lot about this town and tells others to avoid shopping there.

mattyh223 Rodger April 14 2014 at 8:44 PM

scumbag mayor and police ,,,, they know what they are dogn its all to about how much cash they can make

Kay mattyh223 April 14 2014 at 8:52 PM

yes, and they are probably putting some of it in their own pockets! Thats why they are working so hard at it.

Flag +1 rate up
lo411 April 14 2014 at 1:44 PM

All of the below. Except I HATE speed bumps. Hard on the alignment unless you crawl

glogic April 14 2014 at 1:43 PM

Why am I reminded of an incident a number of years ago where my company was in competition to the Post Office for delivery to the home of Readers Digest magazine. We were delivering magazines in plastic bags on doors in Hopkins Mn and the Post Office continually claimed we were putting them in mailboxes and sending us a bill for using their mailboxes. The delivery person insisted she was putting them on knobs. So I had an area delivered and then waited for the mailman with a camera. I took photos of the mailman stealing the magazines of of door knobs and waited for the bill. When it came I sent the photos and the bill to the U.S. Postal service in D.C. Who reprimanded the local Postmaster and the postal carrier for interfering with our private postal delivery. That stopped the SOB's. You need to set up a video camera and show these government bullies playing games to the local TV station. That will shut them up.

no7mk1 April 14 2014 at 8:48 PM

Ritter, I can only hope you step out in front of me....and I hope your little stooge police chief is holding hands with you when you do....you are both a blight on a fine town....I know these "men" and they are both corrupt rats!!!!

Brian Workman April 14 2014 at 1:36 PM

I understand the need for people to obey the law, but to entrap people by NOT crossing the street, isn't a true vehicle violation law violation! The Mayer was too lazy to cross on the crosswalk!! The Mayer just wanted to collect the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ fines for the cash strap city!!!

vernsmaria April 14 2014 at 1:34 PM

Sounds like something a politician would do!

Al April 14 2014 at 8:52 PM

the mayor is a crook and should remove his self from office, what a idiot