Man claims mayor duped him into getting a ticket

Man Claims Mayor Is Tricking Drivers Into Getting Tickets

A Cumberland County man says Mechanicsburg's mayor duped him at a pedestrian crosswalk, FOX43 reports. On Thursday Joe Erdos got pulled over and ticketed for failing to stop at a pedestrian crosswalk on Main Street in Mechanicsburg.

"After I got the ticket I was a little bit ticked off about it" said Erdos.

That's because Erdos said he stopped, but the pedestrian never crossed the street -- so he kept driving. A short while later he saw the same pedestrian at the same crosswalk, so he walked up and confronted him while filming it on his cellphone.

In the cellphone video,Erdos said "you acted like you were going to cross the street and then you stopped when I tried to let you go and then they pulled me over." Erdos goes on to say "this is a heck of a scam you got going."

It turns out the person he confronted was Mechanicsburg Mayor Jack Ritter who remembers the incident differently. "He did not yield at a crosswalk and was pulled over and not happy about that. And I don't blame him, he's just not happy about that" said Ritter. Erdos said he feels slighted. "It's a disingenuous way to give people tickets. And that ticket's not cheap, it was $150."

Ritter said he volunteers as part of a program sponsored by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation to reduce pedestrian accidents. As for Erdos, he's no longer upset. "I don't want to turn this into a personal attack on the guy. He was probably surprised that I was coming up to him" said Erdos.

Mechanicsburg's Chief of Police said that when they started the program 3 years ago there were roughly 12 pedestrian accidents as opposed to about 4 last year.

William J April 14 2014 at 6:22 PM

One more reason to mount a dash cam.

ktz1017 April 14 2014 at 4:20 PM

Sounds just like a scam to me. You may want to try something else to build your revenues there people. Entrapment at its finest. It's like having a cop sitting at the point where a speed limit goes from 55 to 35 and the sign is hiding behind a tree. Not nice.

ReddSox35 April 14 2014 at 4:18 PM

I would advertise that the Mayor has a scam going on to warn others.... And I would have a bunch of friends that would help back that ad too!
From now on I am going to ask the next "pedestrian" I see * in this situation* if he/she is planning to cross and tape it for evidence.

roylagrone April 14 2014 at 4:01 PM

oUGHT TO BE GIVING HIM A TICKET FOR OBSTRUCTING TRAFFIC!

Frank April 14 2014 at 3:54 PM

But he was not in the cross-walk. He was just standing there watching and waiting. I have seen that happen and waived the person on. But if the person does not respond, what is a driver to do - wait forever. Sound like entrapment to me.

Van Frank April 14 2014 at 4:31 PM

Seems they will do anything for a buck. Mayor should be in his office taking care of city business.

msdaubie54 April 14 2014 at 3:54 PM

The mayor backed away from the crosswalk. I would have done the same thing. I would assume he changed his mind about crossing the street at that time.

LorettaLRusso April 14 2014 at 3:41 PM

Entrapment!

iamzoned78 April 14 2014 at 3:39 PM

Shady. Takes speed traps to a whole new level.

jspfarm April 14 2014 at 3:35 PM

The cop who wrote the ticket, and the mayor should both be fired for this case of entrapment. Additionally, the state DOT should investigate this misuse of their sponsorship of the program, if they find the Mayor and the cops were baiting drivers into violating the law, the money they gave the town for the "program" should be returned and all tickets written under this program should be voided and the fines returned to the victims of this scam.

theangelsofblood jspfarm April 14 2014 at 3:45 PM

This story does not include the part where the guy was driving a vehicle with expired tags, and that in a cross walk, the pedestrian has the 'right-of-way'.

pvevans01191980 theangelsofblood April 14 2014 at 4:24 PM

If the person isn't going to cross and just stand their what "right of way" are we suppose to give them? Are we as drivers suppose to just stop in the street and wait until the person is ready to cross? And in this case the mayor NEVER had any intention of crossing. So the driver would have been waiting a long time to give him the "right of way"

Flag +2 rate up
wizard2 April 14 2014 at 3:33 PM

Sounds like we all need to get a dashcam to protect ourselves from these kind of corrupt 'fund raisers' being perpetrated on the public.