'Blood Moon' Attracts Stargazers in North America

'Blood Moon' Attracts Stargazers, Conspiracy Theories

By Irene Klotz

(Reuters) - Night owls and early risers in North America will be able to watch a rare celestial show on Tuesday as Earth's shadow falls across the moon, shifting its color from bright orange to blood red to brown, depending on local weather conditions.

The lunar eclipse will unfold over three hours beginning at 1:58 a.m. EDT when the moon begins moving into Earth's shadow. A little more than an hour later, the moon will be fully eclipsed and shrouded in a red glow.

The celestial show will be over by 5:33 a.m., according to astronomers at the University of Texas's McDonald Observatory.

Eclipses occurs two or three times per year when the sun, Earth and the full moon line up so that the moon passes through Earth's shadow.

Tuesday's eclipse will be the last full lunar eclipse visible from the United States until 2019, NASA said.

Weather permitting, the eclipse will be visible from most of the country, with the exception of New England and Alaska.

Alaskans can get a view of the moon rising already partly eclipsed. From New England, the moon sets before the eclipse ends.

NASA plans live coverage of the eclipse on NASA TV, the NASA.gov website and on its social media accounts. Coverage will begin at 2 a.m. EDT.

mshapagurl15 April 15 2014 at 12:12 AM

Can't wait to see this tonight. It's going to be very interesting. I love looking at the moon, but this is going to be special as this won't be seen again in the next five years from now.

dropdeadlegs35 mshapagurl15 April 15 2014 at 12:18 AM

Actually it will. There are going to be 4 blood moons between now and the end of 2015.

mytutu dropdeadlegs35 April 15 2014 at 12:39 AM

and they are all on Jewish festivals. tomorrow is passover.

Flag +4 rate up
Sally Crawford April 14 2014 at 7:48 PM

There are 2 this year and 2 next year all on the Jewish holidays

liswpwll April 14 2014 at 7:48 PM

wish I could stay up and see it

Joy April 14 2014 at 7:37 PM

I hope the sky clears before it happens!

Patti Joy April 14 2014 at 8:40 PM

I do too, Kathleen.

I live on the coast, so I never know if the sky will be clear or overcast.

That would be nice to have a telescope, wouldn't it?

marysown50 April 14 2014 at 1:57 PM

Cool hope I can see tonight, never seen it before.

fullyscottish40 April 14 2014 at 7:07 PM

was looking forward to sitting out and watching the eclipse but forecast is making it basically impossible hopefully im still alive to see the next one in 2019

qu13tryan April 14 2014 at 7:02 PM

Uhhm, forecast says nothing but clouds in the skys here in Indiana... So to those that can see this enjoy.

bowtieladyck qu13tryan April 14 2014 at 7:15 PM

Yeah - send us Hoosiers some pictures. We've been missing meteor showers and all kinds of things due to cloud cover. Sucks to be us!

laclone bowtieladyck April 14 2014 at 8:11 PM

That's why I moved.

Flag +1 rate up
joycetpbart April 14 2014 at 6:37 PM

we are setting our alarm clock for 3 am to hopefully catch a look at the blood moon......waking children too.

pattieve April 14 2014 at 6:32 PM

OK..i'm hoping to wake up sometime in the wee hours of Tues. morn to get a glimpse of the Blood moon1

suzzanne.mendenhall April 14 2014 at 6:23 PM

Even though I have to be up for work at 5am....I will set my alarm...gather my photography gear, dress warm and head out to watch and record this event. I am a lunar, celestial and solar junkie...and always feel like I've missed out when I don't get at least one good shot. The last event was the solar eclipse that we watched here in NorCal (Weed, CA)...I also burnt out a good lense...but I got a shot of venus over the sun. (basically a tiny black dot on a bigger bright sun) but I GOT IT!! I know Christ is coming...I just don't think it'll be tomorrow....I have lattes and mochas to make in the morning....and choir practice in the evening...lol...cheers and happy blood moon day....