New Scrabble word - geocache - first ever chosen by gamers

Scrabble

(Reuters) - There's a new word in play on the Scrabble game board: geocache.

The word, a verb meaning to track down items as part of a game using a Global Positioning System device, beat out 15 other nominated words in an online fan vote to select the newest addition to The Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.

It's the first change in nearly a decade to the beloved board game in which players build words - and earn points - using alphabet letter tiles, said Hasbro, the Pawtucket, Rhode Island, maker of Scrabble.

It's also the first time the players' dictionary has included a word chosen by fans.

"Scrabble fans are passionate about the words they get to play in the game, so we were thrilled to get them involved in selecting a new word," Jonathan Berkowitz, Hasbro's vice president of marketing, said on Thursday.

"We... are looking forward to adding geocache as a legal, playable word," Berkowitz said.

Geocache beat out other popular choices such as bitcoin, cosplay, ew and the runner-up, zen. The words were nominated by fans on Hasbro's Game Night Facebook page in March and the voting took place April 2-10.

While the next edition of the dictionary, which will include geocache, will not be available until later this year, players competing in national Scrabble competitions will be able to use the word.

(Reporting by Fausto Giovanny Pinto; Editing by Barbara Goldberg and Gunna Dickson)

cact25 April 14 2014 at 3:36 AM

When we play Scrabble, we use a real dictionary, Not the Scrabble limited dictionary. That would be a dumbing down of the game.

Gregorytu April 13 2014 at 6:32 PM

I think they ought to add: BAZINGA.

gerald01612 April 13 2014 at 7:02 PM

I wish I thought of that. My words are so 1940 and 1950's. Oh well, i think I,ll go watch Howdy Doody

Fred gerald01612 April 13 2014 at 9:42 PM

It's Howdy Doody Time and no ones gives a dime,

abourge458 gerald01612 April 14 2014 at 3:47 AM

Howdy Doody? Wasn't he on that show that starred Princess SummerFallWinterSpring? *

As I recall, he was a lousy actor... He seemed stiff and wooden on stage!

* I had a crush on her LOL

Roncopopohauntis April 13 2014 at 5:06 PM

I wish they would add "gullible" to the approved word list.

lisacatz Roncopopohauntis April 13 2014 at 6:13 PM

What? All words are created, not a single one stands as an absolute, but all are grounded in the language, ans social structures, etc. of its time of creation.

bradyguy Roncopopohauntis April 13 2014 at 7:05 PM

They did! About two years ago....

ticknert2 bradyguy April 13 2014 at 9:34 PM

Yup. When conservatives believed the polls were wrong.

Flag 0 rate up
Charles April 13 2014 at 6:56 PM

I was taught that every word has at least one vowel. Scrabble accepts sh, hm, hmm, (zo, and ee from Collins dictionary, if you are unfortunate enough to have an opponent choose that, which are NOT accepted by the U.S. dictionary used by Americans). I have had cajun, being, wok, and stirfry all rejected the first time I played them (REALLY?). It's gotten to where I don't even know what are considered words or not considered words and some words when you look them up don't have a definition. Also words from other countries are sometimes accepted and sometimes not. Some words have endings that you would never think of having that particular ending. I'm waiting to play haboob (a very strong dust storm) that blankets large areas just to see if that is accepted. Qoph, the 19th letter of the Hebrew alphabet is accepted, but oui is not. I'd bet that oui is far more understood in America than qoph.

terwalk2 Charles April 13 2014 at 11:08 PM

my gf plays words w/friends on her i-phone,i think it is. its just like scrabble. getting really good at it too.

abourge458 Charles April 14 2014 at 3:50 AM

How about German names/words like ........ Schwartz ? Silly people. 7 letters and only ONE vowel!

cindy April 13 2014 at 11:19 PM

The English language evolves everyday. Words such as wok and zen have been adopted into English. Jerky is the only english word from the Mayan culture. Can I use jerky? Also, I have tried to place words such as "ulu"...the eskimo knife. Nope. No good. So...as a culture evolves so does our language and what it adopts. However, it can be frustrating, when you know its a word but no legit as of yet.

kpflip April 14 2014 at 12:30 AM

I hate Scrabble. Not good at it and anyone that wins always act like they are so darned
intelligent.

Ken April 13 2014 at 9:51 PM

I play Scrabble in a small group. Our house rules are the word must be in a standard dictionary and if challenged, before you look it up, you must define it. Even though it may be in the dictionary and your spelling is correct, your definition must be correct or you lose your turn.

Vincelle Ken April 13 2014 at 11:50 PM

Scrabble also prints their own dictionary. I would suspect they they will be updating their dictionary to reflect any new words they (Scrabble) have added so it would make challenging, while playing the game, a little easier or difficult depending on which way we're swaying with a word.
I have an old swivel version of the game and have enjoyed playing it over the last 30 years off and on. I wish I were an expert.

hman570 April 13 2014 at 9:02 PM

Wow

kevinlshirleyii April 14 2014 at 12:06 AM

I play that same word every time I play scrabble; then I walk off like a G...