Woman arrested for leaving kids alone while she was gambling

Police: Florida Woman Leaves Kids, Grandchild Home Alone To Gamble

A Florida woman has been charged with five felony counts of child neglect after police say she left her four kids and a grandchild alone while she gambled at a casino in Miami.

She told WTVJ, "I was out trying to get my rent paid!"

35-year-old Crystal Hernandez was arrested Tuesday, according to WPLG. She's accused of leaving the five kids, who are between the ages of 2 and 12 years old, home alone with no supervision or food.

WSVN says, "Investigators say there were feces on the floor and on the counter. We were just in there, and I can tell you, there was a strong odor of urine in that apartment."

According to court records, officers were called to the scene when neighbors called 9-1-1 to report seeing the children wandering around the neighborhood asking for food.

WFOR reports child protective services immediately removed all five children from Hernandez's home, and on Wednesday, a judge ordered her not to have contact with any of them.

But Hernandez, who moved to South Florida about three months ago, told WTVJ she had a babysitter watching the kids at the time of her arrest and that she had plenty of food in her house for them to eat.

Hernandez was formally charged with five counts of child abuse without great bodily harm, and her bail was set at $5,000.

christina1220 April 12 2014 at 11:56 PM

Similar to Las Vegas trash.

Qazer April 12 2014 at 4:54 PM

Worst mother ever. She is not a Mother more like trying to kill off her own kids? I hate her.

jcat144 April 12 2014 at 10:42 PM

Just another WASTE OF OUR AIR... she doesn't deserve to be breathing it!!!! I wish we could stop all this "breeding" , so sick to death with it. These ppl are as dumb as a box of rocks..

zygi & paris jcat144 April 12 2014 at 11:37 PM

Why are you taking it so personal. Someone close to you has done the same thing?

petpetdon jcat144 April 12 2014 at 11:42 PM

jcat, YOU just insulted a box of rocks.

are2900 April 12 2014 at 5:03 PM

I say what a Dead beat Mother . Give here the book & throw away the Key .

dazedboy420 April 12 2014 at 10:36 PM

Is 12 old enough to babysit?

DAVID W. JOYNER dazedboy420 April 12 2014 at 10:59 PM

12 is old enough to babysit up to four children,but you need to be at least a teenager to be qualified to oversee 5 or more. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!! A twelve year old shouldn't be left unattended,let alone left to care for 4 or 5 kids alone. Unreal!!!

kathybrady April 12 2014 at 5:11 PM

Although I feel bad for the woman for not being able to pay her rent, what moron leaves their kids alone? Lame excuse -I had a babysitter for them. Where was the babysitter when the kids were found wandering the streets? When she finishes for stint in jail, she needs to get help for her gambling addiction!

cruiserm32 April 12 2014 at 5:11 PM

My kids are 12 and 9 and I leave for an hour to go grocery shop. :/ Does that make me bad? Granted we have ample food and a clean home....I'm trying to get a handle on the age thing.

carmpence cruiserm32 April 12 2014 at 5:22 PM

your kids were running around a neighborhood begging for food. I bet anything their was no babysitter and no 12 year old should be left alone with 3 younger kids. Be the parent if your going to breed.

bobluc cruiserm32 April 12 2014 at 5:49 PM

I am betting that your kids learned how to call 911 and when at an early age. I hope also that you have working smoke and CO alarms and have taught them what to do. Other safety measures?

cruiserm32 bobluc April 12 2014 at 6:00 PM

Yes! .....of course yes to all points. Rules of communication and safety. Neither me or my children are idiots. Seriously?

Flag +1 rate up
bcr.cr April 12 2014 at 5:13 PM

She most probably lost in the casino and will surely lose in the court for five felony counts of child neglect.

dazedboy420 April 12 2014 at 10:36 PM

If she left them home alone how that child abuse? Shouldn't it be child neglect?

Lamceton21 April 12 2014 at 5:16 PM

Ok, what's the ral story, the caption said the cop's fond them in her car and how long were they left a lone?