Jerry Lewis : Women are funny, but not when crude

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Jerry Lewis says women are funny, but not as crude standup comics.

The 88-year-old entertainer was criticized for expressing his distaste for female comedians a few years ago, but in clarifying his comments, he called Lucille Ball "brilliant" and said Carol Burnett is "the greatest female entrepreneur of comedy."

Ball "went to the lowest level of the barrel, and she was brilliant because of it," Lewis said Saturday after leaving his hand and footprints in cement outside Hollywood's Chinese Theatre.

"Seeing a woman project the kind of aggression that you have to project as a comic just rubs me wrong. And they're funny - I mean you got some very, very funny people that do beautiful work - but I have a problem with the lady up there that's going to give birth to a child - which is a miracle," Lewis said. "But when you have women like Carol Burnett, that's the greatest female entrepreneur of comedy. I just saw Carol at the Smith Center at home in Vegas, and I was stunned by how brilliant she is and how brilliantly she brings the audience right up to her."

Lewis was accompanied by his wife and daughter at the cement ceremony, during which he asked his daughter to take a bow.

"This is an incredible time for me," he said. "I have never, ever had an experience like this and had my daughter present. And this is the first time I've ever asked her to join me."

Danielle Sara Lewis is Jerry Lewis' only daughter and the youngest of his seven children.

Quentin Tarantino introduced Lewis Saturday. Comedians Richard Belzer and Dane Cook were among the guests. Lewis planned to attend a 50th anniversary screening of "The Nutty Professor" later that evening as part of the TCM Classic Film Festival.

itchy1958 April 13 2014 at 11:30 AM

Even the three stooges had more class than the filth the entertainment industry spews out these days.

mbaileyexchange April 13 2014 at 1:17 AM

I agree with him that crude female comics rub me the wrong way BUT I don't like crude male comics either. Yes, it's a double standard but both are distasteful and they can do a lot better to prepare themselves with some class to respectfully entertain their audiences.

mrgrtannp mbaileyexchange April 13 2014 at 1:51 AM

I agree completely. If a person has talent they don't have to resort to vulgarity. Anyone can do that.

hurleymill1892 April 13 2014 at 12:25 PM

I firmly believe a good comedian does not have to be aggresive nor crude to be successfully entertaining, gender aside!! ... Seems now-a-days, many folks are crude when they don't know the correct word to use & just for the seeming sake of projecting offensiveness.

Alexis Elizabeth April 13 2014 at 11:31 AM

The trouble with "ALL" comedians (male and female) is the sick disgusting fowl uneccessary and vulgar language. Comedians today seem to think the more vulgar and disgusting the jokes the funnier they are when in fact all it does is show their disrespect for themselves and their audience. There is nothin funny about cussing up a storm or insulting other people just to get a laugh!!!

My favorite old time comedians were funny because they didn't need vulgarity and insults to make people laugh. Red Skelton, Foster Brooks, Rich Little & many others were some of my favorite comedians. WE certainly don't make them like that anymore and that's sad!! There's simply no talent in comedy anymore!!!

Judy Alexis Elizabeth April 13 2014 at 11:39 AM

I agree 100%! Let's add Jack Benny, Bob Hope, Flip Wilson, Lucille Ball, Carol Burnette. I know there are others but these are my favorites along with Red Skelton. I guess they were much better commediennes than present day not to have to resort to common, foul language. I doesn't say much for todays audiennce to laugh at their vulgarity.

Ollie April 13 2014 at 12:28 AM

I know I'm showing my age here and, possibly my nationality, but an old time comedienne I enjoyed was Minnie Pearl. Google her sometime.

Susan Ollie April 13 2014 at 12:42 AM

How does that indicate your nationality? Just curious.

hattie54 Ollie April 13 2014 at 8:43 AM

I loved Phyliss Diller too!!!

leahmost April 13 2014 at 12:13 AM

You know what rubs me wrong? Male comedians who are crude. Actually, I really don't care for anyone that is crude.

docngolf April 13 2014 at 12:52 PM

Never thought he was funny. His fund raising efforts are admirable but his immature, nacisistic personality always showed through.

nam2205 docngolf April 13 2014 at 12:58 PM

I guess you like the other nacistic personality,,,,obama.

Stacey nam2205 April 13 2014 at 1:10 PM

No, the other narcissistic personality...bush.

Flag +1 rate up
emeraldknightsky nam2205 April 13 2014 at 1:37 PM

What does any of this have to do with your anti-American need to bash our President?

Flag 0 rate up
NANCAN docngolf April 13 2014 at 1:00 PM

I agree.

Rob Jones April 13 2014 at 12:10 AM

You know what's REALLY funny? I just gave the thumbs down to a poster who already had one thumbs down. So any sane person would reckon that person would now have 2 thumbs down, right?

Well, this is HuffPost, and far from sane. When I posted my thumbs down to that lonely little thumbs up, what do you think happened? I mean, really?!! When I posted my one thumb down to the one other thumb down, it came up to +7. Seriously. And I don't care if you're liberal, conservative, or somewhere in the middle, that amounts to the media flat out lying.

Are we going to do something about it except whine? Don't misunderstand me; I believe all the way in the 1st Rights Amendment. But that means we have our right to our say, too.

If everyone is to pu**y out in this country to actualy take action, we're goners. If, on the other hand, we put our heads and resources together, we may yet come out with not only a democratic country, but a country better than the corrupted one we currently live in.

It's not up to you. It's up to US.

couko April 13 2014 at 12:56 PM

Its funny that a lot of these crude and vulgar comics, male or female, seem to sell out every arena they get booked in. Its a very tough business theyre in and clean doesnt sell anymore, i hate to say.
You have to be able to get noticed and the quickest way unfortunately is with shock value. And there is definitely a double standard when it comes to race. A black comic can shred whites and its funny but anything close to the other way is racist and is met with huge backlash and blacklisting.

Ray Sisson April 13 2014 at 1:46 AM

Henny Youngman! Now there was a comedian! Never had to resort to vulgarity but kept us laughing. I am so sick of listening to "jokes" about bodily functions.

abourge458 Ray Sisson April 13 2014 at 6:24 AM

Henny Youngman and Bob Hope's jokes were corny..... However, the timing and WAY they told them made them rich and famous.
On a bet, I once borrowed a list of 10 jokes that a relative had told at a Comedy night thing where he groused about the audience and how he BOMBED and got boooed........... I went to the same club about 7 months later using his ten joke list. I was huge hit with the same jokes.
LOL...... Well, maybe I just LOOKED funnier to start?