Jerry Lewis : Women are funny, but not when crude

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Jerry Lewis says women are funny, but not as crude standup comics.

The 88-year-old entertainer was criticized for expressing his distaste for female comedians a few years ago, but in clarifying his comments, he called Lucille Ball "brilliant" and said Carol Burnett is "the greatest female entrepreneur of comedy."

Ball "went to the lowest level of the barrel, and she was brilliant because of it," Lewis said Saturday after leaving his hand and footprints in cement outside Hollywood's Chinese Theatre.

"Seeing a woman project the kind of aggression that you have to project as a comic just rubs me wrong. And they're funny - I mean you got some very, very funny people that do beautiful work - but I have a problem with the lady up there that's going to give birth to a child - which is a miracle," Lewis said. "But when you have women like Carol Burnett, that's the greatest female entrepreneur of comedy. I just saw Carol at the Smith Center at home in Vegas, and I was stunned by how brilliant she is and how brilliantly she brings the audience right up to her."

Lewis was accompanied by his wife and daughter at the cement ceremony, during which he asked his daughter to take a bow.

"This is an incredible time for me," he said. "I have never, ever had an experience like this and had my daughter present. And this is the first time I've ever asked her to join me."

Danielle Sara Lewis is Jerry Lewis' only daughter and the youngest of his seven children.

Quentin Tarantino introduced Lewis Saturday. Comedians Richard Belzer and Dane Cook were among the guests. Lewis planned to attend a 50th anniversary screening of "The Nutty Professor" later that evening as part of the TCM Classic Film Festival.

rymic April 13 2014 at 1:11 PM

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

SumBreezeHuh April 13 2014 at 11:27 AM

Didn't even read the article, just the first sentence. I can't stand crude female comics either. For that matter, male comics who go the crude route turn me off too.

Rob Jones April 13 2014 at 12:10 AM

You know what's REALLY funny? I just gave the thumbs down to a poster who already had one thumbs down. So any sane person would reckon that person would now have 2 thumbs down, right?

Well, this is HuffPost, and far from sane. When I posted my thumbs down to that lonely little thumbs up, what do you think happened? I mean, really?!! When I posted my one thumb down to the one other thumb down, it came up to +7. Seriously. And I don't care if you're liberal, conservative, or somewhere in the middle, that amounts to the media flat out lying.

Are we going to do something about it except whine? Don't misunderstand me; I believe all the way in the 1st Rights Amendment. But that means we have our right to our say, too.

If everyone is to pu**y out in this country to actualy take action, we're goners. If, on the other hand, we put our heads and resources together, we may yet come out with not only a democratic country, but a country better than the corrupted one we currently live in.

It's not up to you. It's up to US.

itchy1958 April 13 2014 at 11:30 AM

Even the three stooges had more class than the filth the entertainment industry spews out these days.

trik cha April 13 2014 at 11:01 AM

Agree with wwyreddragon to be vulgar is not talent. Sinbad, Jim Gaffagin, Kathleen Madigan can put a stitch in your side without being trashy in the least.

Alexis Elizabeth April 13 2014 at 11:31 AM

The trouble with "ALL" comedians (male and female) is the sick disgusting fowl uneccessary and vulgar language. Comedians today seem to think the more vulgar and disgusting the jokes the funnier they are when in fact all it does is show their disrespect for themselves and their audience. There is nothin funny about cussing up a storm or insulting other people just to get a laugh!!!

My favorite old time comedians were funny because they didn't need vulgarity and insults to make people laugh. Red Skelton, Foster Brooks, Rich Little & many others were some of my favorite comedians. WE certainly don't make them like that anymore and that's sad!! There's simply no talent in comedy anymore!!!

Judy Alexis Elizabeth April 13 2014 at 11:39 AM

I agree 100%! Let's add Jack Benny, Bob Hope, Flip Wilson, Lucille Ball, Carol Burnette. I know there are others but these are my favorites along with Red Skelton. I guess they were much better commediennes than present day not to have to resort to common, foul language. I doesn't say much for todays audiennce to laugh at their vulgarity.

mam-ma April 13 2014 at 11:36 AM

It seems that many females think if they are doing stand up they need to talk dirty. I have always believed that if a pastor needs to bank on the pulpit and scream at you to get his word across needs help himself. The same goes for a female comic if she has to be dirty then either her life sucks or she can't be normal and funny. If all I need to do is listen to cuss words and filthy remarks I need to get a life.

Marcia April 12 2014 at 11:54 PM

"Crude" does not make men or women comics funny.

d1anaw Marcia April 13 2014 at 12:07 AM

No and being an ass doesn't make him important either.

bobi4kids1 April 13 2014 at 11:37 AM

Different humor appeasl to different people. I am 77 years old and Laugh at Jerry Lewis movies.
I like clean humor ..a child of slapstick too. Humor associated with a person's humorous look on life also. I like situational humor. What I don't understand is why watching someone getting hurt is humor. People who make fun of others at that person's expense I find distasteful .
But let me tell you I hope we never loose our sense of humor. My blind aunt told me one sense a
blind person must have is a sense of humor! I agree with her the ability of being able to laugh at our selves is a must. And those who are able share this with others is great!

leahmost April 13 2014 at 12:13 AM

You know what rubs me wrong? Male comedians who are crude. Actually, I really don't care for anyone that is crude.