Conan calls Colbert the "right man for the job"

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Don't feel bad for Conan O'Brien. Again.

The 50-year-old talk show host said he was never a contender to take over CBS' the "Late Show" when David Letterman announced his retirement last week. The funnyman, who has hosted his talk show "Conan" on TBS since 2010, said he believes Stephen Colbert is the "right person" to take over the show from Letterman.

"I wasn't up for it," O'Brien said backstage Friday during a break from rehearsing for Sunday's MTV Movie Awards, which he's hosting for the first time. "I'm very happy where I am, but I love Stephen. I think Stephen is great. I'm a huge fan of his as a comic and as a human being. I think it's fantastic. I'm really glad that he got the job. I look forward to seeing his show."

O'Brien originally succeeded Letterman on NBC's "Late Night" in 1993 when Letterman moved to CBS to headline the "Late Show." O'Brien infamously replaced Jay Leno as host of NBC's "The Tonight Show" for a mere seven months beginning in 2009 before Leno was reinstated as host in 2010.

"I was very happy because I have such respect for Dave," O'Brien said. "I'm glad that it's the right person getting it."

O'Brien, who has appeared as a guest on Letterman's show, said he's excited to see the "Colbert Report" host tackle the "Late Show," but he definitely didn't apply for the gig.

"Whenever I would hear there was speculation (that I'd take over the 'Late Show'), I was like, 'No. What?' I'm happy," said O'Brien, whose TBS talk show has been renewed through November 2015. "I get to do what I want."

sterling reg. April 13 2014 at 12:11 AM

Very Hostile and Virulent Comments. I guess Some of You will not be Watching Mr. Colbert

bocavert April 12 2014 at 10:17 AM

As beauty is in the eye of the beholder, not everyone has the same sense of humor. These late night comedian's wouldn't be there if they weren't capable. One has to admire Conan's graciousness, but these guy's are all made [wealthy],why fight ? One can never tell when a favor is needed.

lewgarnet51 April 12 2014 at 8:40 PM

i can't stay up past nine thirty

shobizzzz lewgarnet51 April 12 2014 at 9:19 PM

Trust me, there's nothing on past nine thirty worth even staying up for anymore or losing a single bit of sleep over!

vlh4361 April 12 2014 at 9:58 AM

Conan isn't funny. I have tried watching it but his opening routine of jumping up and down and his praying hands gestures after each announcement of his guests really turns me off.

rrusrjr2 April 12 2014 at 8:51 PM

Conan O'Brien was well compensated several times for his troubles. In 2004, he got a new contract at NBC so he could take over from Leno once he retired. Then, compensated heavily again to leave NBC after he flopped on the Tonight show. Mediocre talent, rich way beyond his capabilities, IMO. Leno, indirectly, made Conan a very rich man, but O'Brien still is bitter about flopping on NBC, blames Leno.

wlkywy1 April 12 2014 at 10:29 AM

Conan's a good man, with a lot of class. keep it up Conan. I'm glad you're not wasting you're life on a losing network like NBC.

AlBenHeather April 13 2014 at 12:17 AM

I wanted Ferguson to move up!

dwtomczyk April 12 2014 at 10:46 AM

weres johnny

Hello, Mary April 12 2014 at 11:39 PM

I thought Conan would have been the ideal replacement ..... but if he don't want it, he don't want it (sic)!

stevcor Hello, Mary April 13 2014 at 1:04 AM

I agree. Conan is by far the most talented of all of the talk show hosts. He is in a direct line to Steve Allen, the original Tonight Show host; both zany, witty, and touched with true comic genius. To be kind about it and less angry than Conan's detractors, they don't get his humor and possibly satire in general.

Well, humor is subjective after all. I just read that an awful lot of people didn't see Archie Bunker as a caricature of a bigot, and in fact shared his views. What're you going to do. Conan is the best.

Froggy April 12 2014 at 10:46 AM

No one has come close to Carson including the current narcissist.

gigi1105 Froggy April 12 2014 at 11:10 AM

froggy you are so right...why do they keep this tired old show around??? you can never duplicate success!!!