Which is worse: Skipping breakfast vs. morning doughnut

Skipping Breakfast Vs. Morning Doughnut
On those days when you're running late, is it better to go sans breakfast or eat the office pastries? The breakfast dilemma is a big one. SELF's health experts break it down for you so you don't hit the snooze button on your metabolism.

Ideally we'd all eat a perfect breakfast, but if you're not a morning person, that can be pretty tough. Because our bodies need really those nutrients, grabbing a pastry is much better than simply skipping the meal entirely.

In fact, if the coffee/doughnut cart is your only option, you can sort of (and that's a really big 'sort of') make it healthy. A donut gives you the fuel you need to make it to a healthy lunch. Go with a plain glazed treat, as that's 260 calories. If you combine it with some protein, like skim milk, your blood sugar spikes are regulated.

Eating that donut is certainly better than starving, which can lead to overeating, being forgetful ... and just plain being a cranky brat at work.

cgssnavickas April 14 2014 at 10:23 AM

If I eat breakfast I find that I get hungry quicker than not eating breakfast. I don't feel run down and still think clearly, and am still pleasant to people (At least, no one has complained about it or made any remarks). Not everybody is "wired" the same way. Whatever works for you is fine.

Don Halasz April 14 2014 at 10:38 AM

Don't have time for breakfast? HEY, wake up 15 minutes earlier! You wouldn't go to work without taking a shower so don't go to work without feeding yourself a good breakfast. BOTH are important to your health.

vafilec_39 Don Halasz April 14 2014 at 11:36 AM

Why force people to eat a breakfast when they are not hungry. Women know that men have to have their breakfasts. However, it seems that women do not always feel the same as men. What is important is not someone telling you to eat.....when you don't feel like it.

cricket.100 vafilec_39 April 14 2014 at 12:43 PM

Whether you feel like it or not, eating breakfast is important for your health. If you get in the habit of eating breakfast, then you will WANT to eat it every morning... which is good.

Flag 0 rate up
pj512 April 14 2014 at 9:38 AM

Years ago, my doctor told me to eat something for breakfast. Even if it was a Snickers, eat something. I find that I am happier and more productive in the morning if I do eat something. And if I eat something sweet, I am less likely to want something sweet at lunch. But, you only live once, so you may as well enjoy yourself while you are here.

gsscpprez April 14 2014 at 8:18 AM

This article was perfectly insightful. This is not something you would do everyday. It mere stated "if" you had to skip breakfast, this is a better alternative for brain function and to prevent over eating later. Sugar does cause a spike and crash, but before that happens, you would be eating a healthy lunch. Do you people read?

Tom P April 14 2014 at 10:37 AM

that donut is made from white flour which turns into sugar which spikes your blood sugar big time

Ron April 14 2014 at 12:53 PM

You see? They're practically telling you that a donut diet will give you all the nutrients you need to be healthy and happy. Finally, some advice I can use! Now I'm going to look for an article on pizza, maybe if I add that to the donut diet I will be even healthier.

dr scott kanner April 14 2014 at 1:03 PM

Skipping breakfast does not qualify as 'starving'....eating a glazed donut will spike your blood sugar and make you even hungrier later in the day.

Steve & Linda dr scott kanner April 15 2014 at 12:53 AM

Well, the video did note that if you combine the donut with some protein, such as a glass of milk, it will help regulate the blood sugar spike. But then, if you're doing that I guess you're not really just having a donut for breakfast...

catbell7 April 14 2014 at 9:25 AM

and tuna with hard-boiled egg white, thin sliced red onion, thin sliced celery -- on a piece of toasted cinnamon toast or cinnamon bagel - absolutely wonderful b-fast - my online buddy said her kids love it on the way to their bus stop -- and her kids love b-fast for dinner and did that 3 days in a row when their dad was out of town :) and google cauliflower pizza -- it is so yummmmy you'll never regret it!!

rexminervastar April 14 2014 at 7:13 AM

just had a donut, I feel like a million bucks :)

rexeccoach April 14 2014 at 9:50 AM

Personally I do not feel any different in the AM whether I eat or not. Now retired my routine is to exercise vigorously in the morning and not eat until around Noon. I have been keeping my daily calorie count to under 1,800, do not feel particularly hungry and have ample energy. Metabolism may work much differently in different people. The "one size fits all" approach of the "experts" may not be correct for each individual.