Girl gets $20k for diamond found in Arkansas park

Okla. Teen Sells Diamond She Found For $20K

Posted: 04/11/2014 11:25 am EDT
Updated: 04/11/2014 1:59 pm EDT

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - An Oklahoma City girl has sold a 3.85-carat diamond she found at an Arkansas park for $20,000.

Tana Clymer told television station KWTV that she plans to use the money from the recent sale of the yellow diamond to help pay for college.

Tana found the diamond last October while hunting for gems with her family at Crater of Diamonds State Park in Murfreesboro, Ark. She says she couldn't believe her good luck and asked her father if she was dreaming.

The park is the only diamond-producing site in the U.S. that is open to the public. Other gems discovered at the state park include amethyst, garnet, peridot, jasper, agate, calcite, barite, and quartz.

The yellow diamond the teen found is teardrop-shaped and about the size of a jellybean.

© 2014 THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED. Learn more about our PRIVACY POLICY andTERMS OF USE.

elaynefr April 12 2014 at 12:50 PM

my husbnd & I were there many long years ago, we found a couple little ones , nothing big tho, good for her and her decision to use it wisely............

wboozer@mail.com April 11 2014 at 8:54 PM

Too many seem to be disappointed that some details are wrong, that she should have gotten more for her find, and that her schooling will cost more than she got. Just be happy for this little girl!

KATHI AND JOHN April 11 2014 at 8:53 PM

as others have said...........GOOD FOR HER

ladub1 April 11 2014 at 8:35 PM

I need to go there

war3saw ladub1 April 11 2014 at 10:48 PM

I've been twice. All I got was dirt under my fingernails.

cqdeed April 11 2014 at 7:46 PM

Starting life as a winner. Hope it continues as such.

RICKS AOL April 11 2014 at 7:31 PM

smart girl good for her

ajt1025 April 11 2014 at 7:26 PM

Good for her

ttemple110 April 11 2014 at 6:46 PM

Good for her

shondascott1 April 11 2014 at 6:07 PM

congratulations to the young girl! and hello, she was maybe in Arkansas on a vacation. is there anyone on the internet that can be happy for sumone even if they dont know the person?! Wow' i scroll down to see other peoples comments and they get even more ridiculous! like the saying goes, IF YOU CANT SAY ANYTHING NICE THEN DONT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!!!!!

bighope78 April 11 2014 at 5:44 PM

You are so incredibly lucky. I am so glad to hear you are using the money for a good purpose. Twenty thousand dollars would be a life changing amount of money for my family. When I think of people that drop ten thousand dollars for a designer hand bag, I get physically ill. My family has lived off that amount of money for a year!!!!! Congratulations on your incredible find!!!!!!