Late-Night Reacts To Colbert's 'Late Show' News

Late-Night Reacts To Colbert's 'Late Show' News

CBS announced Thursday that Stephen Colbert will take over for David Letterman as host of the network's "Late Show" next year.

Of course, Colbert had something to say about the big news on his current show, "The Colbert Report," Thursday night. "This man has influenced every host who came after him, and even a few who came before him. He's that good. And I gotta tell you, I do not envy whoever they try to put in that chair."

Colbert wasn't the only one with something to say -- his Comedy Central compatriot Jon Stewart chimed in, too. "There is no greater joy than seeing a genuinely good man who works as hard as he can every day, and deserves all the success in the world, actually get that success..."

Then there was Jimmy Fallon. "They're talking about how there's going to be a new late-night war. I just want to say, there's not gonna be any war. It'll be a dance off."

A dance off, and some hazing apparently -- Seth Meyers said he was excited to no longer be the new kid in late night. "So, I'm so psyched now that Stephen will be the new guy, and then I can join in the hazing. I'll get my own jacket. It's very nice. It's a beautiful satin jacket that we all get. But congratulations, and give it up for Stephen Colbert."

And "The Late Late Show" host Craig Ferguson brought it home, welcoming Colbert to the network. "Congratulations, Stephen. A fine edition to the CBS cavalcade of stars."

Brodakfan April 11 2014 at 9:20 AM

I am thrilled and just hope he'll be himself and not another persona. By all accounts, Colbert is a decent human being, a truly nice man, and I wish him the very best.

jjscreen April 11 2014 at 7:51 AM

I p[refer John Stewart, think he is a lot funnier than Colbert what do I know after Leno left do not watch late night anymore.

billcdaly April 11 2014 at 7:58 AM

If he continues in the shoes of the ever more political Letterman, he will fail.
A lot of people stopped watching Letterman who turned into a cranky old
political shill.

plehmanofc billcdaly April 11 2014 at 8:07 AM

Anyone in the mood for yet another prime example of the dumbing down of Americans? Colbert on the heels of Steve Allen, Jack Parr, and Johnny Carson...what an insult to those gentlemen...and every thinking American

chauncy billcdaly April 11 2014 at 8:27 AM

thats exactly true Bill...its a fact, and not an opinion. h e had it in his pocket before that.

We dont need politics when we expect entertainment.

phil914 April 11 2014 at 8:16 AM

maybe I'm crazy---but really is late night TV fading?

raplano April 11 2014 at 11:59 AM

I don't think they understood how polarizing Colbert is. Folks either love him or hate him. Successful talk show hosts have personalities that appeal to a very wide audience; without that, they cannot attract big audiences they want. Even Jimmy Fallon, a really likeable guy, moved a little toward the middle when he took over the tonight show. It will be interesting to see if Colbert does the same.

ladmer April 11 2014 at 9:42 AM

When you consider that these late nights TV host have a team write their material.....................
You can get R2D2 to host the show?!?

mbrheljr April 11 2014 at 11:53 AM

Some folks mistake Colbert for a conservative.

He's NOT.

His so-called satire is left-wing all the way.

I still remember the look of horror on George W. Bush's face when he realized Colbert was not a bonafide conservative, as he was being roasted by him.

Not sure if the staffer responsible simply didn't do their homework or did it because they were upset with W...

ken herman April 11 2014 at 8:31 AM

Middle of the road Leno always beat liberal Letterman in the ratings. If Colbert can figure out why that happened he could have the top rated show. What are the odds of that happening?

tanneddam April 11 2014 at 11:11 AM

Craig Ferguson was misquoted...you putz o a writer. It's ADDITON to the CBS cavalcade, not EDITION. I see lots of mistakes on line, I sure wish editors were added back to the list of employees.

Sandy tanneddam April 11 2014 at 11:48 AM

Gee, maybe they should hire you as a proofreader.

Butch April 11 2014 at 11:07 AM