What those awkward relationship dreams mean

What Those Awkward Relationship Dreams Mean

On "Steve Harvey," host Harvey spoke with dream expert Lauri Loewenberg to analyze what those awkward relationship dreams mean. First up, that pesky cheating dream.

'What that means is that you're feeling cheated out of your time together.'

We like that interpretation a lot better than the dream's literal meaning. Loewenberg also brought up those hot and heavy sexual fantasy dreams. Admit it. You've had 'em.

'It's more about a psychological union you need than a physical union you want.'

Loewenberg explained this type of dream doesn't exactly mean you want to have sex with the other person. Instead, it means you recognize that person possesses a particular trait you're looking for.

But then there are those dreams sometimes spurred from watching a scary movie too late -- yup, the dreaded nightmare.

The International Association for the Study of Dreams categorizes a nightmare as 'a very distressing dream which usually forces at least partial awakening.'

Interesting. So a nightmare is actually when you wake up from the terrible dream. Those other ones you sleep through are just categorized as 'bad dreams.'

So what about other types of nightmares? Business Insider spoke with dream interpreter Diane Brandon about the meanings behind some common nightmares.

If you're being attacked in a dream, it could mean you're fearful of others and not fitting in.

Drowning in a dream usually means you're feeling overwhelmed, and dreaming about being lost could actually mean you're feeling out of control in life.

Oh yeah, and that dream of falling? Brandon says this dream actually occurs when the dreamer is in a hypnagogic state, meaning they're at the point right between sleeping and waking up.

Phew, glad that one doesn't mean death is imminent.

tmad1990 April 11 2014 at 11:19 PM

I am 45 and have had the same repeated nightmare ever since I was a small child. I am being chased or..."someone trying to get me"...and being lost and not being to find my way out and save myself. Some of the people who are after me I know, and some are pure strangers. I wake myself thrashing back and forth trying to scream, sweating purfusely. My husband has witnessed this many times and says it disturbing to him. I would say this happens once every couple months. Does any one have any thoughts on this? Has this or something similar happen to you?

Se7en tmad1990 April 12 2014 at 1:29 AM

To dream that you are being chased signifies that you are avoiding a situation that you do not think is conquerable. It is a metaphor for some form of insecurity. In particular, to dream that you are chased by an animal represents your own unexpressed and unacknowledged anger which is being projected onto that animal. Alternatively, you may be running away from a primal urge or fear.

coldh2oranch April 11 2014 at 12:37 PM

Oh I forgot...you are a female

Christopher April 11 2014 at 2:15 PM

Where did they "learn" this? From a book?? I've had so called "cheating" dreams and it had nothing to do with cheated time. About every type of dream explained here might sound good when they say it, but it's a bunch of "I think" bull..

Mike April 11 2014 at 2:57 PM

It means you were asleep and dreaming. Nothing more.

scollegeville3 Mike April 11 2014 at 5:04 PM

EXACTLY, AND WHO CARES WHAT IT MEANS ENJOY IT

rdz69 April 11 2014 at 4:45 PM

don't agree at all- a dream is often what you subliminally want..................

scollegeville3 rdz69 April 11 2014 at 5:02 PM

HOW THE **** DO YOU KNOW

Mac rdz69 April 11 2014 at 8:30 PM

I want the hot young blonde next door but I dont dream about her.

dlonay April 11 2014 at 7:39 PM

WHAT AM I MISSING? IT HAS BEEN MANY YEARS SINCE I HAD A DREAM INVOLVING OTHER PEOPLE OR "AWKWARD " SITUATIONS. MOST OF THE "DREAMS" I HAVE ARE OBVIOUSLY FORGETABLE. I DON'T REMEMBER OR MISS THEM, I'M JUST GLAD I WOKE UP ;-)

sheliak195 April 12 2014 at 1:55 AM

how does anyone know what a dream means

dlonay April 11 2014 at 7:51 PM

The older one gets the less one has "dreams." Even the "experts" cannot honestly state what the 'dream" may be conveying to the dreamer. Being an octogenarian I can state that years ago I would have "dreams" of all kinds; good, bad and indifferent. Now I very seldom have dreams of any
kind and I don't recall any negative dreams for many years. It's possible that the "dreams" one has are a replay of an actual incident or noteworthy meeting.

Elizabeth dlonay April 11 2014 at 8:15 PM

At what age did you stop remembering dreams? I remember many of mine at 66, and quite honestly I had rather not recall most of them.

franslm April 11 2014 at 8:16 PM

I'm 75 and all I can say is, I've had a lifetime of great dreams! All kinds--my share of all of 'em. Some had me baffled, some were a little troubling, but I have always considered the vast majority of them as "cheap entertainment." Over the years, I've dreamt of flying in all formes--drifting over beautiful landscapes, flying straight up into outer space, a little disconcerting; and as a kid, dreamt I was killed by a "badman" (scary), but ended up flying around school, and the whole thing became very cool! Dreamt I was killed more than once, but always ended up a postitive experience. Hardly no sex dreams. A great marriage, with NO complaints in that area. Why dream!

NJLAGHOF April 11 2014 at 8:24 PM

Gee, this sure comes with GREAT irony - and sure makes me laugh! Just about a year ago, I had a VERY intense dream. it was so 'real' that when I woke up I still believed it actually happened. I even asked my spouse, "What did we do yesterday?" He said, we "stayed home and watched a DVD." Sure made me feel happy that it was just a dream, that I was doing some 'heavy' petting. It wasn't an X but certainly R-rated activity. The real irony of it all is that the object of my affection, that night, was a young blonde woman as this male couple (yup 110% Gay) have been together 40+ yrs (since college) !!! I, of course, confessed about my imaginary transgression. As a result, it has become a real joke between us - "Are you going to leave me for the woman of your dreams?" or "if you don't let me have my way, I'm going back to her." etc., etc., etc.

PS As am matter of fact, my 'name' is the result of an awarded honor gained in 1990 - NJ Lesbian And Gay Hall Of Fame. Ah, the stuff dreams are made from . . :-D