High school stabbing victim has another surgery

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Police and doctors at a Pittsburgh hospital say a student injured in a mass stabbing at a suburban high school had surgery again overnight and is in "very critical" condition.

Authorities haven't released the student's name. He's been described by doctors at UPMC Presbyterian hospital as a 17-year-old from Franklin Regional High School in Murrysville.

Doctors say he suffered a stab wound from a large knife that pierced his liver and missed his heart and aorta by millimeters. One of his surgeons, Dr. Louis Alarcon, predicted Wednesday that the boy would need additional surgery. That took place at about 1 a.m. Thursday.

The student is one of at least five in critical condition after police say 16-year-old Alex Hribal stabbed 21 students and a school security guard on Wednesday morning.

onyota1 April 10 2014 at 8:31 PM

I pray that they all survive , My thoughts are with the parents that have to deal with this .
Go bless them all

rmansg April 10 2014 at 10:28 AM

I don't think when these things happen that we can always say Rotten parents. I have raised 3 children and I believe parents get too busy with their work and don't get the clues that kids give out that something is wrong. I worked and my husband was in the military but I could always tell if something was going on with them. An example is my son always kept his room neat and clean if he let his room get messy then I would notice and dig deeper into what was going on even if he said nothing was wrong. They had no tv or video in their rooms we ate dinner togeather as a family as much as possible and we watched tv togeather.Parents have to pay closer attention but it does not make them bad parents necessiarily.

demi2000 April 10 2014 at 10:00 AM

Instead of an "eye for an eye", lets take time to look into this childs background and see what is causing all of these fits of rage these boys have. Also, could these videos they are playing have anything to do with it? Some of these parents are letting their kids play these violent games at a way under age then what is suggested. Parents these days are not involved in their childs life. Talking to them, asking how school is going, noticing anything different that is going on with their friends. If they do not have any. Parents have kids and when it comes to actually parent them they dont.

ebg3fla April 10 2014 at 9:50 AM

My thoughts and prayers are with this child, his family, all the victims, students, families and others affected by this awful act.

chefjohnp April 10 2014 at 9:40 AM

My family's prayers are with this young person and the family.

jwojchik April 10 2014 at 9:28 AM

It wouldn't hurt to teach kids (and adults) to be kinder. I think most of us would be horrified if we saw what gets posted on social media. So many have lost their filters and say whatever crosses their minds.

anvmd April 10 2014 at 8:22 AM

Enough !! Give the teachers guns. I was against this at first, but we have become a country of crazies, and the normal people have to be protected.

Q91234567 April 10 2014 at 3:37 PM

Everyone can try to deny it all they want, but it is time to face the obvious truth that the incredible amount of bloody hidiouis violence and death shown on television and in video games is having an effect on the children who see it day in and day out. It is absolutely insane the amount of raw graphic blood and gore and violence on TV and in video games. Anyone who lets themselves beleive that it has no effect on the young people is an idiot.

bdeeisme Q91234567 April 10 2014 at 7:46 PM

TRUE TRUE...................and put prayer BACK in schools!!!!!!!!!!

zygi & paris Q91234567 April 11 2014 at 8:46 AM

It definitely has an affect on children. It has an effect on me if I happen to run up on one of those bloody shows killing everyone in sight. I cannot wait to turn it off. Television today is a cess pool. Sex, violence, reality shows with stupid women fighting for no reason, and so on, women showing their naked bodies.....I hate TV today. They even have ads showing women on the toilet. How gross is that.

Len April 10 2014 at 11:04 AM

My heart goes out to those injured in this, another outburst of violence by a disturbed young man. From what I've seen and read there is a lot of praise to be given to those who trying to protect friends were injured and those friends in reacting swiftly in lending aid to those injured, I've seen these actions in Vietnam but this is a freakin High School, outstanding work HS kids, They've all got my respect.

C'mon people, this Isn't even a Gun issue, get off the Guns, I'm a Gun owning-have a Conceal/Carry permit- Vietnam Vet- Liberal Democrat who believes in the right to own and bear arms. I am however NOT an NRA Fascist Fanatic, the NRA is a freakin buncha Nutjobs just look at LaPierre, there should be rigid Laws stringently enforced for owning a Gun, any kind Gun but like I said this isn't about Guns or Video Games, get a grip....Kid had Knives....This is about Morals, todays High-schoolers and even younger for the most part have no Morals, no one to teach them Morals, it's all me-me-me...Selfies- get famous quick by being loud and stoopid in public-I don't care about anything except getting mine attitudes and no adult telling them they are wrong....no oversight and no discipline. I grew up in the 50-60s, my parents were there they taught me to be a good person, my wife and I raised 2 children in the 70-80s, we were there and taught our children to be good people and succeeded....Where are the Parents today, you can not convince me that things are so different, so much harder for a parent to teach a child Right from Wrong and respect for others or at least recognize there is a problem and get professional help for their child. What I see is complete failure on the Adults part, what has happened over the years to produce the Disconnect between being a responsible adult involved in the lives of their children and a Self Involved Moron. I don't have an answer, I wish I did(I could be the non-doctor Phil of the 21st century and get rich myself)....don't get me wrong, I blame the Kid for the Action but something or someone drove him to take that Action and it wasn't Guns or Video Games, that's a Cop Out, it's a way deeper problem than that.

ridge302 April 10 2014 at 10:00 AM

A NYC cop has died of burns from a fire set by a thug who 'was bored". An Australian runner killed by thugs who "were bored". Newtown, now this. Bring back the draft!

Dianne & Ken ridge302 April 10 2014 at 10:23 AM

I've been saying that for years. These kids think they have the world by the tail. After basic training they would have a different view of life.