Dartmouth receives anonymous $100M donation

Dartmouth College Receives Anonymous $100M Donation

HANOVER, N.H. (AP) - Dartmouth College has received an anonymous gift of $100 million, the largest single donation in its 244-year history.

College officials say half of the amount will support the "Cluster Initiative" proposed by President Philip Hanlon, which includes adding 30 to 40 new faculty positions over the next decade.

Professors have been hired by specific departments. Under the new program, professors would be hired under multidisciplinary clusters, such as sustainable energy and financial markets.

Part of the donation is being called a challenge grant, with a goal of raising an additional $100 million in donations.

Larry April 10 2014 at 4:26 PM

A great school. Even better now!

limited300c April 10 2014 at 8:46 AM

Money. It frees our souls from the main focus point of our lives, yet we don't have any and when we do we don't have enough. Who is to blame for our future? The sitting President the past presidents?'Check again. Its our mothers and fathers grandparents aunts and uncles they all had the power before you. We are living what they set forth in motion decades before. Its up to you the new generation to see fit how to run our nation. Please stop fighting over money and fix what's broke.

ML limited300c April 10 2014 at 9:30 AM

it's Obama's fault

womenscountry ML April 10 2014 at 9:47 AM

Nah....Reagan

Flag +2 rate up
pdbocc April 10 2014 at 8:47 AM

It will be interesting to see it the school raises their tuition rates in the next couple of years.

mlaurel58 April 10 2014 at 9:50 AM

Maybe the anarchists who recently took over the President's office will help in raising the additional 100 million.

lacabrera April 10 2014 at 10:03 AM

That is very nice of whom ever did it .

Dave! April 10 2014 at 10:06 AM

I don't understand how people can criticize such acts of selflessness and caring for the advancement of people. I just don't get it. I never attended Dartmouth, but I bet one day I will be the indirect beneficiary of this person's gift via an invention, business initiative, technological breakthrough, etc. I wish I had the funds to be this generous. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!

rskaleski April 10 2014 at 3:28 PM

What is the fun of making more money than one can spend in a lifetime.? For those fortunate enough to amass such sums .... I say thanks for sharing and making a difference in the lives of others and for research.

phylb36 April 10 2014 at 11:52 AM

and it isn't even for the athletic teams.....I love all sports, but as aa teacher, I am so happy to see this....

kuharmd April 10 2014 at 4:48 PM

I'm always a bit surprised and disappointed when a truly generous good thing (gift) has to be so cynically viewed. I am very familiar with Dartmouth College - 1 daughter just graduated and another child a sophomore . The school has and will use these monies to provide among other things free education to hundreds of economically disadvantaged and deserving young adults. Though far from perfect - the goals the College strives for are praiseworthy. The negative comments have a right to be vented - only wish they were spoken from a position of knowledge.

RockNHula April 10 2014 at 2:35 PM

Hello anonymous donor. I like you. I would use your money for good. Write to me.

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal