BMW owner pays cost for parking in front of fire hydrant

BMW Owner Pays Cost for Parking in Front of Fire Hydrant

The next time you think about parking in front of a fire hydrant, remember that A) it is illegal, and B) you might end up like this person.

The driver probably figured," Hey, what are the chances that anyone will need the hydrant?" Unfortunately, a fire broke out right across the street.

Boston firefighters didn't hesitate to force the windows out of that shiny BMW and weave their hose right on through.

It was probably not the BMW owner's smartest decision. One local man captured that point in a tweet saying, 'This is what happens when you park at a hydrant!'

Crews were fighting an 8-alarm fire that displaced more than 30 people. It all started from a car that was parked in an alley. It then quickly spread to the other apartment buildings.

A Boston firefighter says, 'That water supply is the lifeblood of the engine company. The engine carries 750 gallons -– and that could be gone in just two minutes. With that number of alarms, every hydrant is important.'

'Firefighters, they really can't waste any time. So they just have to smash the windows of that car because when you have a fire in East Boston the concern is these homes are so close together.'

According to WHDH, the fire caused about $750,000 worth of damage. As for the BMW owner ... he or she got a ticket and was fined $100. We're thinking that driver won't ever park in front of a fire hydrant again.

sauerkraut427 April 10 2014 at 6:46 PM

It is obviously apparent that vehicle's owner never saw the movie Backdraft.

RRLAFNEAR April 11 2014 at 5:14 AM

GREAT PHOTO ! .... The one of the drivers face would be worth a Million !!!

BOB April 10 2014 at 4:27 PM

I spent 12 years on a volunteer fire department. I can remember 2 fires where some idiot parked beside the hydrant. Sure, we could have run the hose around or over the car. But, it is irritating to have anything blocking the hydrant when time counts. In the first place, it's illegal. In the second place, I don't know of any fire dept. that doesn't do this just to teach the person a lesson. Also, it is legal for a fire dept. to run a hose through the windows of a vehicle blocking a hydrant. You people who think this is wrong, maybe you should join a fire dept.. I would bet that your tune changes when you see what they have to go through.

firemanbruz April 10 2014 at 4:26 PM

I was not there so I can't really can't say it was a right or wrong decision. I'm not really familiar with the mannifold that is on the hydrant, but it does appear that there were LDH outlets on each side of the mannifold. It could have been a matter of being short of LDH and that was the only route. Only the Brothers on scene know the truth.
But a lesson to all......DON"T PARK IN FRONT OF MY WATER!

CHIEF 30 April 11 2014 at 5:18 AM

for those that aren't in the know... That isn't a 4-way fitting... It is a hydrant valve and is used to boost the pressure from the hydrant with a second engine hooking up to those free openings. 5-inch supply line does not like to bend and you can actually see in some pics that the line actually forced the car away from the curb as it was pressurized. I've never had the pleasure...YET, but if you don't want your car to end up like this one... don't park in front of a hydrant. Also to my brethren... when you do get the chance to try this out... make sure you loosen the steamer a little... makes for a nice sprinkler effect, you know to help their new windows grow...

lem314 CHIEF 30 April 11 2014 at 8:22 AM

Chief 30 from (Past) Chief 19, well explained.
Agreed, 5 and 6 inch supply lines bend like logs, they don't.
I remember back in my day, Hahn Fire Apparatus built trucks for Boston, FD. Hahn reinforced the front 12 inch stainless steel bumpers of BFD's engines with a piece of 12" x 4" x 1/2" steel angle iron behind the front bumper. It was called the 'Boston Bumper'. It was for pushing cars away from hydrants with the rigs. My volunteer FD I was Chief of had two Hahn's from that era and both had Boston Bumpers. Hahn is gone now and I guess the 'Boston Bumpers' are too. Too bad.

defiant128 April 10 2014 at 4:24 PM

re: previous comment

You are right, they are not judge, jury or executioner. Neither are you. Where is the greater wrong? I know I would not convict them. By the way, did you ever work in a burn unit? My wife did. I don't think you would want to.

fort9erdon April 10 2014 at 4:24 PM

Should have used the fire engine, and pushed the car out of the way by force. Would have done far more damage to the car, and far more expensive to repair. If you'r going to make a point to a perp, might as well make it an expensive one.

STAN April 10 2014 at 4:23 PM

I wonder how much time was wasted working around the car instead of actually fighting the fire and how much extra damage was caused because of it.

Skipper STAN April 10 2014 at 4:40 PM

Good point all we know is the time was wasted. That car owner should be gettting a bill for the fire.

fullyscottish40 April 10 2014 at 4:22 PM

having retired from working as a firefighter/emt I can personally vouch for the fact that this happens alot. I have done it on two seperate occassions. If a vehicle is illegally parked /blocking a firehydrant we go through the vehicle with a hose . not over ,or around ,or under. through!
the owner/drivers self important thought that he/she can park whereever with no consquences is quickly subdued when this happens. If someone died becuase we had to take the time to route a hose around your vehicle how would you feel. 'nuff said.

droot53 April 11 2014 at 5:18 AM

glad to see it--don't park where you don't belong

World Series