Weather Channel cuts reality shows in DirecTV deal

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The Weather Channel is returning to DirecTV with a significant compromise that affects all of its viewers: it promises to focus more on the weather.

After a three-month dispute with DirecTV that saw the channel dropped to some 20 million U.S. viewers, the two sides came to a new deal that will restore service on Wednesday.

The biggest change to its programming will affect all Weather Channel viewers, not just DirecTV subscribers. It said it will reduce its reality programming by half on weekdays. That means fewer airings of TV shows like "Coast Guard Alaska" and "Hurricane Hunters."

David Kenny, the CEO of channel parent Weather Company, apologized for the disruption and vowed to reward viewers with more weather-focused news.

The deal will also allow DirecTV customers to have instant access to local weather information and to watch Weather Channel programming on mobile devices if they provide their subscriber information.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

DirecTV chief content officer Dan York acknowledged the dropping of the channel was "frustrating" for consumers, but added "their patience was ultimately rewarded with a better deal and a better product."

DirecTV will also keep running WeatherNation, the channel it first picked up to replace The Weather Channel when the dispute started. It announced a multiyear deal with WeatherNation TV Inc. last week.

slmognet66 April 09 2014 at 6:35 PM

I bet the same dude that came up with the idea of reality shows on the Weather Channel is also the same dude that thought up giving winter storms a name. Both ideas are terrible. Keep doing what you do best Weather Channel....that is how you succeed.

gerbersmail April 09 2014 at 6:46 PM

I have yet to see a "reality" show that is "reality". Every one of them are either partially scripted or entirely scripted. I have seen a few that start out to be an unscripted reality show and as soon as they attract an audience they start scripting it. That's when I change the channel and never look back.

wlbbm79 April 10 2014 at 7:48 AM

I live in NEW MEXICO ( yes, its in the United States), and subscribe to Dish Network, but are almost never included in weather forecasts. My suggestion is to have a Weather Channel out of Denver or Phoenix for the western US. When they DO show the weather map, they always manage to stand in front of the Texas-New Mexico border when broadcasting. We don't have the other choice on Dish, so we limit our time to Local on the 8's, (which are hardly EVER on the 8's). I don't know if anyone else notices this, but I have been watching TWC since before they even ran any commercials. (Just an idea for the western/southwestern customers).

emtmommie wlbbm79 April 10 2014 at 7:57 AM

So true...they always show east coast...like nothing exists west of the Mississippi...makes me nuts when planning a trip.

scott April 10 2014 at 7:33 AM

al roker is very full of himself and is a tool

diddysmif scott April 10 2014 at 7:46 AM

The word is spelled fool not tool! lol

wisnies4 diddysmif April 10 2014 at 7:56 AM

have not watched twc since mid jan. asked comcast if it could be taken off my list.

Flag 0 rate up
gtrwritpb April 09 2014 at 6:57 PM

I like Prospectors ... but not 6 times a day .. good for direct TV I had Dish it sucked. went back to ComCast.

Mani'ska 'su April 09 2014 at 7:01 PM

I understand contracks. It was wrong for leaving out the custormers. I will be leaving Direct TV after my contrack

wendy deane April 09 2014 at 7:01 PM

I'm glad its back!

vt1320 April 10 2014 at 7:30 AM

Now I will go back to watching the weather channel for the weather, left when it turned into reality show channel.

pauleyboo vt1320 April 10 2014 at 7:35 AM

me too

Daddy April 10 2014 at 7:25 AM

I stopped watching the weather channel years ago

geandch April 09 2014 at 6:44 PM

I LOVE the Weather Channel, so I'll be happy to see it return. I hate 90% of cheap, vulgar reality programming so I won't miss that aspect. Actual weather reporting is soothing.