New Dove experiment unlocks beauty within

New Dove Experiment Unlocks Beauty Within

A new Dove experiment reveals the true power behind feeling beautiful, and it's captured in a new short film called Dove: Patches. The "Today" show has more.

'They invited 10 women to wear a patch for two weeks that they told them would make them feel more beautiful.'

Dove's campaigns often center on women's struggles with self-esteem, especially with exposure to the high-tech editing features often used in the media.

Dove showed that editing in its short film "Evolution," made to "expose the unrealistic expectations of beauty."

For this latest experiment, Dove and psychologist Ann Kearney-Cooke joined together to 'unlock a powerful feeling of beauty that lives inside all women.'

Kearney-Cooke asked 10 women to wear a beauty patch called RB-X for two weeks. The patch was supposed to enhance the way they perceived their own beauty.

The women were told to keep a video diary of how they felt day-to-day, and when the two weeks were up they met with Kearney-Cooke again. When asked about their experiences wearing the beauty patch on their arms, many said it was a "life-altering experience."

The women were then asked if they wanted to know what was inside the patch. Of course they said yes, and they were very surprised to learn that there was NOTHING in the beauty patch. They said it was "crazy" and "empowering."

When the "Today" show anchors asked Kearney-Cooke what she took away from the study, she said, "It's very clear that beauty is a state of mind."

Jennifer Bremner, Brand Building Director of Skin Cleansing for Dove, says of the "Patches" video in Mashable:

'We hope to inspire all women and help change the way they see themselves.'

So don't you forget: You are beautiful!

Check out the full video here

marianicole62 April 10 2014 at 12:37 PM

I think that there was a study also in the medical field about healing yourself with your mind and power of suggestion, even ridding yourself of cancer and the like, but the conclusion was that the brain is so complex that most people are not able to sustain that amount of concentration. So who knows.

francycmt marianicole62 April 10 2014 at 1:00 PM

They sure can sustain lots of concentration when: worrying, watching the news & violent movies, etc! I have been practicing the opposite since the 90's & raised my girls with this mind-practice of: anytime a negative thought comes to mind, immediately "opposize-it" (my made-up word for this method) to anything Positive...it takes practice to make our minds think of all the good that there still is in the world.
If we humans all practiced this w/all that Positive Energy everywhere...oh...we would definitely change this planet spreading the Positive Energy along instead of the way people think & are doing all the time. (And, while not seeing through rose-colored glasses), there's beauty everywhere & I believe most SOULS are really beautiful from within!

m4christ2 April 10 2014 at 1:31 PM

when will we learn that beauty comes from within?

havanasilkdogs April 10 2014 at 1:32 PM

Reminds me of a childhood story about a little boy who gets lost at a huge shopping bazaar and picked up by the police. They ask him to describe his Mother so they can find her and the little boy says: "My Mother is the most beautiful woman in the world"....So the cops bring one gorgeous woman after another and the little boy is becoming frantic because none of them are his Mom.
Then a hideous old crone comes into the police station looking for the boy. The cops try to throw her out because she claims she's the Mother, but she is insistent. They finally bring the boy in and he rushes to the hideous old crone and they hug each other and the little boy says, "See, my Mother is the most beautiful woman in the world.....to me!" Or the short version: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

sadiemae1214 havanasilkdogs April 10 2014 at 1:47 PM

I love it!

DEBBIE April 10 2014 at 1:53 PM

I am 59 and learned that beauty is in the eye of the beholder long ago. However it took me till my late thirties to learn that I could be the beholder. I went thru a divorce at that time and while researching how to deal with all my crazy emotions, I came across an article that said you are who you believe you are. They meant that you can choose to take the blame for a failed marriage or accept that it was for the best. However, I came away with more than that. I started losing weight, standing up straighter, keeping my shoulders back instead of hunched, and you know what, suddenly I found myself attractive to others who would never have looked at me. I had more confidence and a can do attitude. Ok, I did lose some weight, but I had done that before without this effect. My change in attitude and carriage presented me to others as a beautiful strong person. You don't need a patch or pill or cream, you just need to believe in YOU.

amlunar April 10 2014 at 2:23 PM

Awesome trial. Always knew it was the power of the mind.

senfam@cox.net amlunar April 10 2014 at 3:15 PM

Gene Roddenberry of StarTrek knew this years ago. Mudd's Women eventually found out that you just need to think that you are beautiful to make it so.

namaste319 April 10 2014 at 10:16 AM

This was awesome! How empowering!

Karen April 10 2014 at 2:50 PM

I really fear for our country! This 'study' typifies how easily people, men as well as women, are so eager to believe in something beneficial that they will hypnotize themselves into believing anything. This is the biggest danger of all the billions of dollars pouring into our political system- -- enough exposure to a particular message and the message is believed, without anyone even bothering to check the veracity of the message.

cvanac8550 Karen April 10 2014 at 3:12 PM

Like shopping for "bargains" in Wal-Mart

prism531eydie April 10 2014 at 2:53 PM

I watched this over and over and I cried. I cried mostly because of empathy with these wonderful women and partly sad because of what our society does to sell products and undermine our confidence. Are men so susceptible?

scarletstomorrow April 10 2014 at 3:04 PM

When will we leave the condition (expectation) of beauty behind when seeking unconditional self Love and acceptance. I don't have to be beautiful, nor do men. Any definitive descriptor simply limits my awareness that I am boundless and acceptable just as I am, in the truest sense of it. If others love me conditionally, they do not love at all. If I love myself conditionally (especially based on a FEELING) I do not love at all. I merely fantasize I meet a condition so that I can love myself. Love knows no condition or bounds. It is the only REAL thing to be counted on and you cannot put it in any box which limits the reality of its eternal essence.

Debbie scarletstomorrow April 10 2014 at 4:30 PM

scarlet....you got it...keep it...don't allow anyone to change your thinking.

jt2 April 10 2014 at 3:24 PM

Years ago a minister named Norman Vincent Peale wrote a book called "The Power of Positive Thinking". The idea hasn't changed in sixty or so years.

Back to School Deal

1408567219081

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal