Hillary Clinton on possible 2016 White House run: 'I am thinking about it'

By Peter Cooney

(Reuters) - Asked again the question on the mind of everyone who follows U.S. politics, Hillary Clinton said on Tuesday she was "thinking" about running for president in 2016.

Appearing at a marketing conference in San Francisco, Clinton, widely considered the Democratic front-runner if she enters the race, was asked by an interviewer: "What's your plan? Are you going to do it? You can announce it here if you'd like."

"I'm actually here trying to get some marketing advice," Clinton quipped, before adding: "I am obviously flattered and deeply honored to have people ask me and people encourage me.

"And I am thinking about it, but I am going to continue to think about it for a while," she said to cheers from the audience.

"Part of it is because the hard questions are not: 'Do you want to be president? Can you win?' The hard questions are why. 'Why would you want to do this and what can you offer that could make a difference?'" Clinton said in a video of the exchange posted on the Internet

The former first lady and U.S. senator, who was defeated by President Barack Obama in the race for the 2008 Democratic presidential nomination, said the United States was experiencing a period of political dysfunction.

"I saw it from afar when I was secretary and it was disheartening and even embarrassing to see people arguing about letting us default on our debt, really, and things that were just so beyond the pale," said Clinton, who served as secretary of state in Obama's first term.

"You had to ask yourself what kind of country do they really want. .. What is their plan? What is their vision? So if you're going to compete in this arena, you have to be able to put forth your purpose and vision."

Clinton, who has been giving speeches across the country since leaving the State Department last year, frequently deflects questions about her presidential ambitions. The former first lady has said she is considering a White House bid, but that she will not make a decision before the end of 2014.

"I'm not going to make a decision for a while because I'm actually enjoying my life," Clinton said on Tuesday. "I'm actually having fun."

(Reporting by Peter Cooney; Editing by Michael Perry)

wasabimon April 10 2014 at 12:12 AM

oh god noooooooooooo please nooooooooo----people are soooooooo stupid they WILL vote for this MONSTER

bradbarb69 April 09 2014 at 11:54 PM

Think we should throw them ALL out and start again.How about Min wage for a Congress that does ZIP? If I worked like that I would have been fired from every job I ever had lol

bcrnbs2 April 09 2014 at 11:53 PM

god havent we had enough of the frigin clintons..., can you even look into the future and see what a diseater this would be..

dijost April 09 2014 at 4:41 PM

I pray she decides not to run - she needs time for herself and her family. Besides, anything and everything that goes wrong will, of course, be attributed to her. Life is short - too much stress will really harm her at her age.

resumeperfect1 dijost April 09 2014 at 4:46 PM

She is only 50, 60 or 70...

look at our country...the U.S. is too old to take this.

vote: NOahTHEMOVIE.com

NO against Hillary The Movie...

bradbarb69 April 09 2014 at 11:51 PM

Ted walked away scot free on that one!!

martineo21 April 09 2014 at 8:41 PM

Hillary! You are nothing but a smaller version of Dianna Feinstein....a gun grabbing old woman...I was going to vote for you when you ran last time...but if you do again you will not have my vote.

Debbie April 09 2014 at 8:36 PM

Just say "no".

arealtaxpayer April 09 2014 at 5:11 PM

Call 1-800-T-O-T-A-L-F-A-I-L: One Woman's Clintonwreck Nightmare. Hillary did not even pick up the 3 a.m. phone call when our US Consulate was attacked by TERRORIST in Benghazi and FOUR US CITIZENS DIED. Hillary traveled over One Million Miles as US Sec. of State and did absolutely N-O-T-H-I-N-G. Hillary and Obama did make sure there was a cover up in place when Terrorist attacked our US Citizens as they blamed a Fake Video. Hillary and Obama had LIVE STREAMING VIDEO of the Benghazi attack, but Obama and Hillary went to bed while the US was being attacked.

toolmanoo7 April 09 2014 at 4:40 PM

God help us All..........................................................

b1s1k1 April 09 2014 at 4:40 PM

After 8 years of a Democrat President, a Republican president is inevitable. History proves this to be so. Besides, Clinton has the Benghazi scandal to deal with. She looks tired and old as well. We don't need another Clinton or Bush in the White House. Their time has come and gone.