Hillary Clinton on possible 2016 White House run: 'I am thinking about it'

By Peter Cooney

(Reuters) - Asked again the question on the mind of everyone who follows U.S. politics, Hillary Clinton said on Tuesday she was "thinking" about running for president in 2016.

Appearing at a marketing conference in San Francisco, Clinton, widely considered the Democratic front-runner if she enters the race, was asked by an interviewer: "What's your plan? Are you going to do it? You can announce it here if you'd like."

"I'm actually here trying to get some marketing advice," Clinton quipped, before adding: "I am obviously flattered and deeply honored to have people ask me and people encourage me.

"And I am thinking about it, but I am going to continue to think about it for a while," she said to cheers from the audience.

"Part of it is because the hard questions are not: 'Do you want to be president? Can you win?' The hard questions are why. 'Why would you want to do this and what can you offer that could make a difference?'" Clinton said in a video of the exchange posted on the Internet

The former first lady and U.S. senator, who was defeated by President Barack Obama in the race for the 2008 Democratic presidential nomination, said the United States was experiencing a period of political dysfunction.

"I saw it from afar when I was secretary and it was disheartening and even embarrassing to see people arguing about letting us default on our debt, really, and things that were just so beyond the pale," said Clinton, who served as secretary of state in Obama's first term.

"You had to ask yourself what kind of country do they really want. .. What is their plan? What is their vision? So if you're going to compete in this arena, you have to be able to put forth your purpose and vision."

Clinton, who has been giving speeches across the country since leaving the State Department last year, frequently deflects questions about her presidential ambitions. The former first lady has said she is considering a White House bid, but that she will not make a decision before the end of 2014.

"I'm not going to make a decision for a while because I'm actually enjoying my life," Clinton said on Tuesday. "I'm actually having fun."

(Reporting by Peter Cooney; Editing by Michael Perry)

dark0455 April 09 2014 at 4:44 PM

OH NO !! PLEASE NO !! AN ADDITIONAL 4 YEARS OF HER WOULD DROWN US MORE THEN WE ALREADY ARE !!!

lostsailor28 April 09 2014 at 7:33 PM

I've to the conclusion that the republicans and democrats are following the same agenda. If Hilliary gets into office , we'll have the same rubbish we're experiancing today. Look at some of the independents that are running. Of course there's Ron paul, whom has a phd in finance

bilhee April 10 2014 at 8:12 AM

So HiIlary..Tell them you just don't know…and why would you want the job anyway..The affordable Healthcare Act is going to implode shortly after your election ( if elected), because it just isn't funded. It's funded only by subsidies, and has allowed me to buy a great health insurance program for my wife to replace the lousy one she had for 25% of the price because of "subsidies"..which come from where or whom????..got to be the american taxpayer

forever39buicks bilhee April 10 2014 at 8:24 AM

In twenty years you'll love the Health Care act just as you love Medicare now, if you're over 65 years old. It's always bad for you guys if it helps somebody who is downtrodden, until it starts to put money in your pocket.

BOB forever39buicks April 10 2014 at 8:52 AM

Yeah just like Pelosi said "You dont have to read it. Just sign the bill and read it later." LOL Maybe in twenty yrs all you dumb ass libs will be a thing of the past.

Flag +2 rate up
Don Hess April 10 2014 at 5:53 AM

please dont !!

choppa April 10 2014 at 8:12 AM

bet bill cant wait to live in white house here we go again

BOB choppa April 10 2014 at 8:15 AM

We can give him Pelosi to play with.

Linda BOB April 10 2014 at 8:46 AM

Didn't the Clinton's steal all the ashtrays when they left the White House?

Flag +2 rate up
josephyannuzzi April 10 2014 at 8:13 AM

Please go away lady, you are an embarrassment and you have done enough damage. You showed your real colors when you dismissed the Benghazi incident with little remorse and absolute indifference to the horrific way those Americans died.
You are just another radical, liberal, low life, with the same Socialist agenda as the impostor we have in the White House right now. I would rather vote for Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck before I would even consider casting a vote in you're direction!

priusexpert April 09 2014 at 4:41 PM

If Hilary Clinton has the same motives as the President currently has I would please ask her to stay out of this mess that he has created and enjoy her life with her daughter and Bill.

bloveday36 April 10 2014 at 5:32 AM

Thinking about it - give the country a break and serve by going away - murderer of Bengazi -
sad that people still think you care about America -

elnpet bloveday36 April 10 2014 at 6:14 AM

All Hillary cares about is her ego. She will be unbelieveable if sshe ever wins that Oval Office. Bill will run the country while Hillary stands around primping. Ego is a terrible thing in the wrong hands.

jim_scorch April 10 2014 at 8:14 AM

All the Independents I know no longer trust her,, Let her run and lose ,She can

dijost April 09 2014 at 4:41 PM

I pray she decides not to run - she needs time for herself and her family. Besides, anything and everything that goes wrong will, of course, be attributed to her. Life is short - too much stress will really harm her at her age.

resumeperfect1 dijost April 09 2014 at 4:46 PM

She is only 50, 60 or 70...

look at our country...the U.S. is too old to take this.

vote: NOahTHEMOVIE.com

NO against Hillary The Movie...

World Series