Hillary Clinton on possible 2016 White House run: 'I am thinking about it'

By Peter Cooney

(Reuters) - Asked again the question on the mind of everyone who follows U.S. politics, Hillary Clinton said on Tuesday she was "thinking" about running for president in 2016.

Appearing at a marketing conference in San Francisco, Clinton, widely considered the Democratic front-runner if she enters the race, was asked by an interviewer: "What's your plan? Are you going to do it? You can announce it here if you'd like."

"I'm actually here trying to get some marketing advice," Clinton quipped, before adding: "I am obviously flattered and deeply honored to have people ask me and people encourage me.

"And I am thinking about it, but I am going to continue to think about it for a while," she said to cheers from the audience.

"Part of it is because the hard questions are not: 'Do you want to be president? Can you win?' The hard questions are why. 'Why would you want to do this and what can you offer that could make a difference?'" Clinton said in a video of the exchange posted on the Internet

The former first lady and U.S. senator, who was defeated by President Barack Obama in the race for the 2008 Democratic presidential nomination, said the United States was experiencing a period of political dysfunction.

"I saw it from afar when I was secretary and it was disheartening and even embarrassing to see people arguing about letting us default on our debt, really, and things that were just so beyond the pale," said Clinton, who served as secretary of state in Obama's first term.

"You had to ask yourself what kind of country do they really want. .. What is their plan? What is their vision? So if you're going to compete in this arena, you have to be able to put forth your purpose and vision."

Clinton, who has been giving speeches across the country since leaving the State Department last year, frequently deflects questions about her presidential ambitions. The former first lady has said she is considering a White House bid, but that she will not make a decision before the end of 2014.

"I'm not going to make a decision for a while because I'm actually enjoying my life," Clinton said on Tuesday. "I'm actually having fun."

(Reporting by Peter Cooney; Editing by Michael Perry)

loldsparkey April 10 2014 at 8:15 AM

Thinking bout it ...HELL , She is campaigning and has been campaign all along.
We need Clinton in the white house like we need a severe case of Hemorrhoids with a 7 day diarrhea and sand paper as toilet paper.

Linda loldsparkey April 10 2014 at 8:41 AM

I couldn't have said it better, loldsparkey! THANK YOU!

kent_hern loldsparkey April 10 2014 at 8:44 AM

You better stock up on Charmin then, cause she's a shoe-in!

gschonholtz April 10 2014 at 12:34 AM

If there is a Republican blow- out in 2014 Hillary will not run.

poolcue1950 gschonholtz April 10 2014 at 12:57 AM

after the war on women pipe dreams they are idiots

pbpied April 10 2014 at 8:47 AM

When will the citizens of this nation cease being satisfied with the choices we are given for leadership? This "ruling elite" which has developed don't really care much for the rest of us as citizens and individuals, they only care about their own egos and place in history.

Find someone to run for President who is smart, but not self-superior. Someone who will put the citizens of this country first, and not just as parts of some "Social Experiment". Someone who will not involve us in the civil wars of other countries. Who will not waste the lives of our service men and women by sending them into situations where they are not only unsafe, but not wanted. Someone who will stand up to the criminals who are financially fleecing us for their own personal gain.

That person is who I want to vote for. HRC? I'd prefer to write in a vote for my neighbor's golden Lab.

This is stupid. Get rid of the people holding public office who have no moral compass. That means most of them. I'm sorry that Americans could not find the wisdom and courage to have elected Ron Paul at some point. No, we keep getting media darlings/corporate shills, and those being manipulated by the real power which runs behind the scenes.

Mike's Wife April 10 2014 at 8:49 AM

Please just don't bother , we are better off without your involvement

Gordon April 09 2014 at 5:04 PM

In a country of 350,000.000 people - Why do we have to have the same defective people being considered to run for the highest office in the land? Please - enough with the Clintons - and frankly the Bush's can stay retired too.

rldarch Gordon April 09 2014 at 5:11 PM

Oh yes, a non-flawed Repug like Romenoid from 1950.

Softball April 09 2014 at 5:03 PM

Hillary, you can flap your wings and screech "What difference does it make?" all you want, but you will never be able to evade that picture of you as uncaring and cold.

rtgarton April 10 2014 at 8:55 AM

She can think about it all she wants. Give it up girl. However I would like to see slick Willie as the first man. Then I can say I have seen everything.

Robert April 10 2014 at 8:56 AM

To use your own words old lady; WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE...!

lavel April 09 2014 at 7:53 PM

" At this point, what difference does it make?" LOL

Randy April 09 2014 at 4:58 PM

Ooooooooooh.... mystery solved... the creator of Benghazi, the Russian take over of Crimea and former chief enforcer and "Don" of the Rose Law Firm/Little Rock Mafia is "thinking about running for president to see if can take the country further into decline than the empty suit puppet of the south side Chicago thug squad has..... thanks AOL for that breaking news!