Yale student says she faced expulsion due to her weight

Yale Student Says She Faced Expulsion Due to Her Weight
A student at Yale University faced expulsion -- not for her behavior, but for her weight. "Good Morning America" has more.

'We continue with the Yale student who became a junk food junkie because the Ivy League school thought she was too thin and demanded she gain weight or leave the university.'

Frances Chan, 20, is quite small. She's 5'2" and 92 lbs., but she attributes her small figure to genetics, not an eating disorder or an unhealthy diet.

The Huffington Post published an essay Chan wrote about the situation. She says, 'The medical professionals think I have an eating disorder -- but they won't look past the number on the scale, to see the person right in front in them.'

Chan says Yale required her to come in for weekly weigh-ins, and so she began eating copious amounts of junk food in an attempt to gain weight. She would eat three to four scoops of ice cream twice a day with chocolate or cookies, and Cheetos right before bed.

But Chan told the New Haven Register even all that junk food didn't do the trick. She only gained two pounds, and Yale said that wasn't enough. She wrote Peter Salovey, president of Yale, notifying him of her situation. She said, 'At Yale, you're taught to be the change that you want to see in the world. Well, this seems like an easy thing to change.'

"Good Morning America" said Yale responded in a statement saying the university can't comment on individual students' cases but that the quote 'welfare of all our students is our primary concern.'

In her essay, Chan says it's clear Yale cares about its students, but that she's not going to continue with check-ups. She says they can try to kick her out, but for now she'll be studying for midterms.

If you are struggling with an eating disorder, call the National Eating Disorder Association hotline at 1-800-931-2237.

timobrennan April 09 2014 at 10:56 AM

In ninth grade I was 5'4" and weighed 104# as a male. There was no eating disorder. I graduated HS at 5'10" and 129#.

Weight is based on one very simple equation, calories in vs. calories burned.

al12exb April 09 2014 at 2:29 PM

GO FIGUARE.............YALE.THE OPRESSOR..........................HER GENETICE DISPOSE HER TO BE PETITE SO WHY SHOULD A SCHOOL DEMAND THAT SHE GAIN WEIGHT OR FECE EXPULSION...............I THINK YALE NEEDS TO STE BACK AND REEVALUATE ITS THOUGHT PROCESS.IF IT HAS ONE

cqdeed April 09 2014 at 2:24 PM

My ex used to go on diets to gain weight. She was a naturally small woman and was always so active that she burned off the weight faster than she could put it on. And, of course, all I have to do is look at food to gain weight. Made for interesting meals, me trying to lose weight and her trying to gain weight.

paddyschwartz cqdeed April 09 2014 at 2:51 PM

I married at 21, 5 foot 3, and 95 lbs. which was normal at that time for me. At that age a very fast metabolism that allows you to eat when and whatever you want is not unusual. Metabolism caught up with me over the years so this young woman should just relax and enjoy this ability. Since when did Universities manage studen't's medical information. Another sign of the times, too much interference!

mrsbee8 April 09 2014 at 2:09 PM

Give me a break are they going to monitor how many times she goes to the bathroom. Talk about pressure! No wonder students at these big named schools commit suicide. Hard enough to get in let alone have your' weight monitored. If she is having problems doing this type of pressure is not going to help.

eegee April 09 2014 at 2:02 PM

My case is like so many others here. Have been thin all my life. I'm 5'6" and weighed 107 on my wedding day and seldom weighed more than that except when I was pregnant. Now I'm 75 yrs. old, and a new doctor told me I should try to gain up to 118 or 120!! Well, I have a closet full of beautiful chothes that I have collected over the years. Why would I want to gain 10 lbs. and not be able to fit in my clothes? And, oh, did I mention that I'm VERY HEALTHY?

TKB April 09 2014 at 1:48 PM

If she truly had an eating disorder she would not have been able to eat the junk food in an effort to gain weight. The school is out of line.

seekay36 TKB April 09 2014 at 2:37 PM

My sister is the same size as she is and eats ANYTHING she wants and has never gained weight and she is 50 years old now. It is in her genetics as the girl in the article said. I agree the school is out of line.

nexus520 April 09 2014 at 1:45 PM

That is bs... how dare they.... I bet they don't dare say that to someone over weight.... lawsuit...

mikecortinagt April 09 2014 at 1:26 PM

Yale....overpriced yuppie school...let the girl alobe

Randy mikecortinagt April 09 2014 at 3:05 PM

You just insulted "yuppies" - now if you had said "LIBERAL yuppies" you would be right on target.

alexandraarcouettesmith April 09 2014 at 1:26 PM

It's funny-when I was in fourth grade I grew 5" and then my height and weight was 5'2 and 100 pounds. My teacher and classmates said I was fat, and my teacher demanded that I be put on a diet. So, I learned that eating and food are bad, and not eating is good.

PowellTreeCare alexandraarcouettesmith April 09 2014 at 1:51 PM

Woah. 5'2" and 100 lbs is fat? In what world?

Susan April 09 2014 at 2:30 PM

Welcome to the age when anti-bullying forces become the bullies. Hearing it all the time from campuses. Nanny State mentality determines what bullying is and attack those who aren't "sensitive enough" for them...then they move to your weight, your thoughts, your speech but of course, they've already told you you're a bully if you mention you're religious.

Randy Susan April 09 2014 at 3:00 PM

Liberals have always been bullies.... and liberal career academics (and administrators) are among the worst. I think its their way of trying to assert revenge for being nerds since birth and ostracized from the "cool groups" in their youth.