Playground toxins cause school evacuation

Playground Toxins Cause School Evacuation

Update: 7News Denver reports that shreds of "approximately six' habanero peppers were found in the wood chips on the playground, and contact with the pepper oil would explain many of the kids' symptoms. The school district is not sure how they got there, or whether it was intentional.

A school in in Lakewood, Colorado, is closed due to harmful toxins discovered at its playground. HLN has more.

'A hazmat crew had to spray down some students after they came into contact with something toxic on the playground.'

Jefferson County Open School evacuated its students and staff to a nearby church Monday after people began to be affected by an irritant. KUSA reports: 'Crews had to decontaminate 30 of the students as well as the teacher's aid after they reported symptoms similar to an allergic reaction.'

According to HLN, at least 6 students and 1 teacher have been sent to the hospital to be checked out.

Those affected were reportedly complaining of eye injuries, skin irritation and general pain.

Madison Delude, 8, told KCNC about her experience.

'They were crying and like ... their eyes were all swelled up. I was kinda glad to get out of the school because I didn't want it to happen to me.'

Hazmat crews say the irritant came from outside the building and is difficult to follow. HLN reports firefighters have ruled out pepper spray and fertilizer but the source of the toxin is still under investigation.

redwolf34 April 09 2014 at 11:32 AM

Several years ago I watched a show called "Fear Factor, Behind the Scenes". They said the most dangerous stunt they hadever performed on the show was having contestants eat a whole Habanero pepper. I guess the reactions can be quite severe and the spice/heat can actually take your breath away,

slloyd414 April 09 2014 at 6:40 AM

According to other sites, it was habanero peppers.

gort1111 April 09 2014 at 12:56 PM

um for those complaining about the HAZMZAT crew called in just for the peppers.... how do you know they were called in AFTER the peppers were found ??... perhaps & most likely they were called in BEFORE the peppers were found. As a one time HAZMAT responder I can tell you if the School did not / wasn't sure what was causing the reactions on the kids. they did the right thing, I mean, depending on the area , ( and before they knew what was actually causing it ), it could have very well been chemicals released in the air by a factory , Farmer ( spraying their fields) or any other source that could have presented a serious public health risk. . Besides... perhaps it was one of the HAZMAT responders that discovered the peppers in the wood chips, as part of their investigation into a possible ground contamination factor / possibility , ( in checking to see if chemicals were sprayed or dumped / poured on or in the ground throughout the area)

dme100 April 09 2014 at 12:53 PM

We need to ban peppers except for police and military use. Then we need to post signs designating
"Haberno Free Zones" We need to do this to protect our kids! When will these senseless tragedies stop!

renner1234 April 09 2014 at 11:25 AM

Wow a story that is seriuos and nobady knows nothing.

Have samples been taken for testing.

Are the local authorities that inept.

dwtomczyk April 09 2014 at 6:26 AM

tommy flynn irritated me in grade school. wish they woulda hosed him down.

Jeff Newman dwtomczyk April 09 2014 at 8:54 AM

Now - that's funny. Keep it up - the world needs to laugh more and forget the "Breaking News Stories" because - most of them are wrong, to start with. The Internet is full of this stuff - as if you didn't know. I call it - "Informational Entropy." The more you know about it, the less you really know. I am goofball organic chemist - and we are noted as being one of the nuttiest breeds on Earth. Somebody's has make some crap that nobody wants to admit they use at the Garden Club, or the Chamber of Commerce. In my spare time - I do sexual favors for politicians. Oh My Golly - forget I told you this, please.

clasand3 Jeff Newman April 09 2014 at 9:19 AM

Lol, I'm a goofball health nut. Jokingly I'm called a mad scientist. My last lesson learned
was parasites. My grandson enjoyed listening to me. He said, "It would be great if you were one of my teachers (in school), they are so boring".

Flag +2 rate up
williambeasy April 09 2014 at 7:50 AM

Tragic someone would target students. What bravery.

th2543klr williambeasy April 09 2014 at 8:03 AM

There's been a lot of this lately (razor blades glued to swings, etc.). Makes me wonder if we have more sickies now or do we just hear more about it. Also makes me wonder where the idea to do something like this comes from.

stapletonsassy April 09 2014 at 12:27 PM

I believe the problem is that the wood chips were imported from Mexico. If they had come from China, the chips would have been lead, far deadlier with consistant exposure. From Japan, they would have been radioactive, from the Gulf of mexico, would have contained tarballs with oil corexit and deadly vibrio vulnificus which killed 31 Floridians last summer. If they had been made right here in the USA, they would have been less toxic, and much cheaper, since tjey would have been made out of thin air from the useless federal reserve notes continuously manufactured by the Federal reserve and US treasury.

portulaca4 stapletonsassy April 09 2014 at 12:59 PM

Outstanding...LMAO...Well done!!!

Tutu stapletonsassy April 09 2014 at 12:59 PM

More then likely it was a student or group of students that came up with the idea and they simply bought some of the peppers at their local...oh I guess Safeway store..and chopped them up and spread them around for yucks. There is not deep dark hidden agenda to harm the kids in that school in Colorado. Spring time has hit and they simply want a break and a few laughs along with it.

JIM April 09 2014 at 2:59 PM

So I guess this is what happens when you have a bunch of wussies in your state. There are many states and other countries where these are common staples and are eaten with most meals, but I guess a state with many cry babies wouldn't be able to handle the heat.

Debbie JIM April 09 2014 at 3:47 PM

JIM...you wouldn't of done it would you?

llamammama2 April 09 2014 at 1:00 PM

i don't think they use wood chips. recycled rubber is more the norm.