Pistorius takes prosthetics off during testimony

Oscar Pistorius Is Tried For The Murder Of His Girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp
PRETORIA, South Africa (AP) - Oscar Pistorius described Tuesday what he said were the terror-filled moments before he shot Reeva Steenkamp to death and removed his prosthetic legs in court during his testimony at his murder trial to show how he stood by the toilet door which he fired into last year.

The actual bullet-riddled toilet door was set up in the courtroom to show how the shooting took place.

Pistorius said that he heard a window open in his bathroom in the early hours of Feb. 14, 2013, causing him to believe intruders had entered his house and to race to get to his gun to defend himself and his girlfriend, who he claims he thought was still in bed.

In a voice quivering with emotion, Pistorius, the world-famous double-amputee athlete, referred to the moment when he said he thought there was a burglar in his home as when "everything changed."

"I wanted to put myself between the person who gained access to my house and Reeva," Pistorius said.

While Pistorius claims his fatal shooting of his girlfriend through the toilet door in his bathroom was a tragic accident caused, in part, by his fear of violent crime, prosecutors maintain he killed the model intentionally and his story of a mistaken shooting is an intricate lie.

Before Pistorius' testimony was interrupted by a lunch adjournment, he had left court to change out of his suit and returned wearing a white long-sleeve t-shirt and shorts, showing his prosthetic legs.

Pistorius claims he was not wearing his prosthetics - and therefore felt more vulnerable - when he shot through the door to kill Steenkamp.

In the courtroom, Pistorius was asked by defense lawyer Barry Roux to stand by the bullet-marked toilet door, which has been in the courtroom as an exhibit for much of the trial, while wearing his prosthetics. Dramatically, Pistorius then sat on a wooden bench and took off his prosthetics and again approached the wood door. It was to show how tall he stood next to it while standing on his stumps next to it.

Pistorius is into his second day of testimony, and was giving an account of what he says are the events in the moments leading up to the shooting that put him on trial for murder. Pistorius was charged with premeditated murder in Steenkamp's death and faces a life sentence with a minimum of 25 years before parole if convicted on that charge.

Vimala Nowlis April 08 2014 at 1:28 PM

He felt vulnerable at the time of shooting? He's the one armed with the gun. How does he think she felt? She was unarmed in the bathroom.
We already know he's a psycho. Now he's proving to the world he's a jerk!!!

kimcrdr April 08 2014 at 12:23 PM

has anyone already asked him why Reeva would have taken all three phones with her and locked the bathroom door at 2 am to go to the restroom? No normal person that I know would do that in the middle of the night just to take a tinkle! This trial should have been over by now!!

Carla Beckman April 08 2014 at 12:22 PM

I am not buying his story. He's another athlete who considers himself entitled. He is a jealous, hateful, controlling man. Yes, he's sorry...he's devastated about what he did in a fit of rage. But a woman is dead because of his temper tantrum, and he should pay.

jano Carla Beckman April 08 2014 at 12:57 PM

unfortunately, their judicial system is not judged by the the person's peer's.
the judge has the sole responsibility to determine the outcome.
pistorius is a big sports hero so go figure.

muffin April 08 2014 at 12:19 PM

What theatrics. But it will not win the ultimate prize--freedom. Who does he and his lawyer think he is fooling? He could hear the window being opened while the door was closed, but he could not hear Reeva breathing next to him in bed b/c she was in the bathroom. If he were so afraid for his life, then I would investigate what he did while he was travelling all over the world. What kind of security di he have to protect him? The fear he describes does not just go away at will. OP should get an award for the BEST PHONEY BALONEY BS, and his lawyer should get an award for the best DUMBER AND DUMER AWARD FOR REPRESENTING A CLIENT.

Carla Beckman muffin April 08 2014 at 12:24 PM

His defense attorney is doing his best with a difficult situation. To call him "dumer" tells us who you are.

muffin Carla Beckman April 08 2014 at 12:31 PM

Ok, I spelled a word wrong. Yes, I meant DUMB & DUMBER. Maybe you are a lawyer. If so, go chase am ambulance.

Flag +4 rate up
palmtreehattie April 08 2014 at 3:29 PM

Why didn't he call out to see if it was her or reach over to see if she was in the bed.. When my husband hears a noise he says in the dark are you awake???to see if I heard it too!!! if not he will gently wake me and say I heard a noise lay still...... in case I woke up from the noise too and he was gone.... you don't fire 4 shots and not realize it.. it's cold blooded murder they weren't getting along he was jealous and shot her... I am very sorry for All involved especially her parents

kc1grace April 08 2014 at 3:30 PM

This guy is too much.

roter105 April 08 2014 at 3:33 PM

Why did he keep shooting after one scream? According to the information provided, he has always had a very bad temper. I just think it caught up to him. Because of his handicap, his temper and jealous personality was just accepted. Decisions have consequences. He belongs in jail.

sandsway April 08 2014 at 4:02 PM

One night I heard a noise in the house. I placed my hand over my husbands mouth, and at the same time was wispering in his ear that I had heard something. Together we each reached for our guns, then we searched through the house together.
If he heard something the first person he should have looked for was HER, and eliminated the possibility it was her.

MICHAEL April 08 2014 at 12:05 PM

i believe it is illegal in s.a. to shoot through a closed door without knowing who or what is on the other side. personally, i dont believe him. but thats just me. any one with sense would have looked to see if their partner was in bed as they were getting up out of bed. or would have tried to waken them etc. he did none of that.

hmcgeet April 08 2014 at 12:02 PM

How can you feel vulnerable with a loaded gun in your hand?

aletheabez hmcgeet April 08 2014 at 12:08 PM

I'm, by no means, condoning what happened, but if you've not lived in South Africa, it would be difficult to imagine how vulnerable one can be, even with a loaded gun in your hand. There is extreme violence in SA, and for an unwanted person to gain access to a gated community, it's not a problem. If they want in, they'll find a way. I was born and raised in SA and therefore I know what the overall situation in SA is like.

J.T. hmcgeet April 08 2014 at 12:17 PM

Ask any soldier that question.