Bad Shot Almost Costs Golfer His Life

Bad Shot Almost Costs Golfer His Life

A golfer was playing at the Catta Verdera Country Club in Lincoln when a rattle snake bit him, FOX40 reports.

Steven Wiese said the snake didn't even make that infamous "rattling" sound when it happened.

"No sounds, no warnings, it was just 'bam' and the minute he hit me, I knew I had been hit," Wiese told FOX40.

A bad shot off the 11th tee almost cost Wiese his life, as the ball bounced off a tree and into some tall grass behind it.

Wiese got into trouble when he decided to go looking for it.

"Kind of walked around for a couple of minutes and went, 'O.K., let's forget it.' Started to walk back to the cart and bam," Wiese said.

Wiese, a Marine Corps Vietnam Veteran, knew not to panic.

"I had the ability to stop and go, 'O.K., what do I need to do here?' So I just started calmly walking back to the cart path and told the gentleman I was with that I had just been bit by a rattlesnake," Wiese said.

Once Wiese was off to the hospital, course manager Jeff Wilson and his staff quickly tracked the culprit to a nearby drainage pipe.

"We used the hose and flushed him out of the drain. We put him in a container and will relocate it to a non-populated area," Wilson said.

David Rosen with Splash Sacramento, a non-profit nature education organization, told FOX40 that as it gets warmer outside, more rattlesnakes will come out, and humans need to be aware.

"Look on the other side of the log before you set your feet down, or before you reach over it. If you're climbing on rocks watch where you place your hands," Rosen said.

Meanwhile Weise says he's taken the experience as a lesson to work on his golf game.

"I suppose it would give me a little more incentive to learn to hit the ball on the fairway ... You can't blame the snake, basically he was telling me to get away from him," Weise said.

hoggwldreptile April 09 2014 at 8:25 PM

Most people do not die from a Rattle Snake bite, however, if you have an allergic reaction, the bite could easily be fatal. There are several different types of Rattlers too, all with venom that is slightly to drastically different. So, if you make it to a hospital, you need to know what KIND of Rattler bit you, not just that you got bitten by a Rattle Snake.

Hi! Tom hoggwldreptile April 09 2014 at 9:05 PM

"Most people do not die from a venomous snake bit". Actually most will die or loose an appendage if not treated with anti-venom within a short period (24 hrs.). Many years ago, I use to milk several species of rattle snakes, i.e. western diamondbacks, prairie rattlers, eastern rattlers, timber rattlers and pigmy rattlers. I also have milked cotton mouths (water moccasins), copperheads, and coral snakes. I haven't done that for 35 years now. But I have seen the effects of envenomation many times, and can tell you many stories about it.

sdwelli April 09 2014 at 2:28 PM

My family homesteaded in the Oklahoma Panhandle in 1906. Their policy was "When you meet a rattlesnake kill it, because the next time you meet he might see you first. And you wouldn't want that."

heldjav sdwelli April 09 2014 at 3:15 PM

My family also homesteaded about 1906 but to a place now known as Agua Dulce Canyon about seventy miles north of Los Angeles, California. My father turned 20 or30 young pigs loose to be harvested one at a time when meat was needed. Within a couple of years there was not a rattler to be found in the canyon. Wild pigs prefer nice fresh rattlers to about any other food I believe. The last of the hogs was probably harvested about the time I was born in 1926. I saw my first rattlesnake at the age of six in 1932. They are now a very large population in and around the old homesteads of the four brothers. When my wife and I moved to a new home in the rocky brush covered hills south of Ramona, California, about 1960 we found a good many rattlers in close proximity but none of them would rattle. I tried many times to antagonize one enough for it to rattle. I believe all the nervous ones and their offspring had been bred out and only the much more dangerous but calmer ones remained. Incidentally, Gopher and King Coral snakes will clean out your rattlesnakes also.

fsaufleyudt April 09 2014 at 12:26 PM

Over several years, I came across a poisonous snake at least a dozen times on a golf course.

chickenoutthedoor April 09 2014 at 12:23 PM

I would relocate that one snake in many different locations

michaeljclark82 April 09 2014 at 12:15 PM

Snakes...Snakes...I don't know no Snakes. Lets get out of here Marv.

mikerorike April 09 2014 at 11:05 AM

In Texas the wild hogs eat the snakes...so the snakes have stopped rattling in order to keep from calling the hogs on them. This is problematic since the rattle is a warning that we no longer can count on.

tesla5000 mikerorike April 09 2014 at 12:36 PM

The problem down there in Texas, is that it's so damn hot that
all of your brain cells have been baked to depletion. You appear
to be human, but your not. Those aren't chupacabras witnesses
are reporting, they're your neighbors. Yep, the Texans have
evolved into a completely new species, similar to the non
rattling rattle snakes, but don't try to blame it on the pigs.

ROBINHOOD April 09 2014 at 10:44 AM

The spring and fall are the most dangerous times with snakes. They are cold blooded and in early spring and fall will often lay in sunny spots. most times a snake will feel your vibrations and move away but when high from sunning, You are on them suddenly and they strike.

jrc22552 April 09 2014 at 10:39 AM

This was a poorly-written article. It didn't tell where the incident occurred (I jknow it said "Lincoln". Was it Lincoln Alaska? Lincoln NB? Lincoln NY?)

It never told what medical treatment was required or what would have happened without treatment.

zrsz1 April 09 2014 at 10:22 AM

back in 2006 I went on golf trip to myrtle beach with a bunch of guys and on one course, caldonia, the 10th hole has brush up to the left of the green,. I was in there rooting around for my ball and a snake about 3' slithered over both my feet. kind of like that scene in platoon where one lithers over Charlie sheen's feet. scared the crap out of me. don't know what kind it was, but that shakes you up. in 2008 I bought a second home there on a course which is loaded with copperheads.i have not seen any around the house, but in warm weather like march thru October i'll bet I see 2-3 per round. I only get there like once a month for a week. "my" course has no gators but there's tons on other courses. neither one bother me anymore, you kind of get used to them. my neighbor down there was bitten by a copperhead while walking his dog, a baby one, 10" long, it was in the street. his dog was sniffing at something, he want to check it out and it nailed him on the foot, he was wearing flip flops. he walked about 2 houses and collapsed. fortunately there's a hospital right outside our community, he was there in minutes, but spent 4 days in intensive care and another 6 weeks with headaches and nausea. he was told the babies are worse because chances are they haven't bitten anything so there venom has not been recycled and it's much purer than the adults. another snake to watch out for are pygmy rattlers, about the size of an earthworm. they live in mulched areas and pine straw. their rattle sound resembles a mosquito buzz, almost impossible to hear. before I bought down there I googled poisonous snakes and spiders in south, learned too much,,,scary stuff.

Bob zrsz1 April 09 2014 at 12:16 PM

Did you know there is a key on your keyboard marked "SHIFT" that will allow you to capitalize the beginning of each of your sentences?

kvave April 09 2014 at 10:11 AM

I deal with the possibility of Snakes all the time . Going Hunting again on Sunday 1200 acres of South GA land with some Pond and Riverland areas as well as Feed Fields and Woods

All it takes is a bit of common sense and paying attention . Or a Good Pair of "Bite Boots" However Snakes ARE an Important part of Nature Without them wed be overrun with Mice and Rats which carry everything from Junta to the Plague NO THANKS