Applebee's Customer Bits Into Slider, Gets Metal Bolt

Applebee's Customer Bites Into Slider, Gets Metal Bolt
An Applebee's customer in Albuquerque says that when she bit into a slider, her teeth hit a sizable metal bolt.

"She bit into it and got a funny look on her face, and we said, 'What's wrong?' She kind of pulled the slider out of her mouth a little bit and there's this bolt."

KOB-TV reports the Applebee's did comp the family's meal, though the family argues that the location should have stopped selling sliders then and there. Apparently other people were still served the same meat.

Luckily, the customer was OK. The Consumerist was able to make a little joke here - that she got a free metal bolt with her burger.

But when stories like this one make headlines, we're always reminded of the nasty, surprise-filled-food past.

Naples Daily News remembers this guy, who chipped his tooth on a bolt he found in his soup at Outback Steakhouse in 2008.

"In the third spoon that I put in my mouth was a large industrial bolt."

Definitely a reason to bolt. We would get into some other "weird item found in food" stories, but it's a lot of mice, and it's gross.

As for this story, Applebee's did tell KOB it's investigating, and doesn't think the bolt came from within the restaurant.

sambengal April 08 2014 at 6:09 PM

When was the last visit of Health Inspector?

tinysantafe April 08 2014 at 8:14 PM

THAT STORY SURE SOUNDS FISHY TO ME!!! either someone in the kitchen targeted just THAT customer or that customer targeted HERSELF!!! i could see if it were something very small, but a freaking bolt the size of an industrial one?? come on, doesn't that seem rather suspicious??

freekmeout tinysantafe April 08 2014 at 8:27 PM

or possibly a loose bolt fell into a vat of meat after it was ground up back at the food processing plant.

G tinysantafe April 08 2014 at 9:42 PM

If you look closely, IT'S NOT A BOLT. Looks like maybe a #6 or #10 phillips head SCREW. That said, those screws aren't big and could've gone through a meat grinder as the raw meat was fed through. I hate to say it but that woman was "screwed!"

dwtomczyk April 08 2014 at 5:38 PM

i ate at applebee's once & that was more than enough

Fran Chandler April 08 2014 at 8:16 PM

Well, accidents do happen. My daughter got a salad at "On The Border" Mexican Restuarant and bit into a piece of a blade that evidently had broken off of their salad chopper. We showed it to our server who grabbed it and ran to the kitchen with it. The manager came out and apologized and gave us, (me, my husband and our daughter) our meal free. But they kept the piece of blade and we never did anything about it because we understand tht accidents do happen. I'm just glad my daughter found it before biting down on it and cutting her mouth. THEN I would have done something, like at least making them pay for her ER visit because I would have taken her there.

David April 08 2014 at 8:37 PM

Applebees doesnt make the sliders in the restaurant; they are shipped in plastic cryovacs and microwaved to order. Trust me...they are worse than fast food.

roastedbeasty David April 08 2014 at 9:20 PM

Actually we do make the sliders. We make two regular sized burgers, cut them in half before grilling, toast the buns and melt the cheese on top all on the grill. Everything at Applebee's is surprisingly hand made to order except for a few of the dips and desserts.

gliverson April 08 2014 at 9:09 PM

It is simply NOT that uncommon. Most food is handled by machinery at some point or the other. I bit into a hamburger some years back and there was a "teardrop" of stainless steel in it...... the teardrop brought tears later since I didn't know it then but later realized that I had cracked/split more than two teeth on it. They called me a liar, and it cost me around $1500 to fix. So it goes.

dexster April 08 2014 at 9:19 PM

This brings back bad memories. About 5 yrs ago as I was having a chicken burrito for lunch, bit down on it and the pain I felt was horrendous and almost broke a tooth I pulled out of my mouth a shard of red plastic from a laddle. I went to Mgr and he denied any red implements in their kitchen. I then reported it to company and they sent me a check for $250.

wizardsking April 08 2014 at 7:00 PM

The F.D.A. allows for 5 percent foriegn objects in all foods. THIS IS FACT.

tshlrtguy wizardsking April 08 2014 at 7:14 PM

Does that include the cooks finger tip? Happened only in California!

zrsz1 April 08 2014 at 12:52 PM

screw applebee's, olive garden, red lobster, etc. the people that work, cook, wait on tables in those places are just waiting for better job. think they give a rat's ass about your "dining experience"? my wife and I go out to eat at least once a week, we have been for years. probably 10 plus years ago we settled on basically 3 places, privately owned. the owners know us, the wait staff knows us, the bartender knows us. in fact 9 out of 10 times we'll sit at the bar if it's just the 2 of us. I tip well, too well my wife tells me but these guys and girls are hardworking, friendly people who have all been at these places for years. occasionally we'll get an after dinner drink or a desert on the house and that's not the reason we go, and the owners know that, they appreiciate our loyalty and they way we treat them and their staff. get out of the chain mentality, save up from a few of these crappy spots and find a nice place to go and enjoy yourself. you may go less often, but you'll enjoy it more.

nikeiausa zrsz1 April 08 2014 at 12:58 PM

Local resturants have the best food, staff, and service almost always. We stay away from chain's especially when traveling. Always want to try something new not the same old stuff.

zrsz1 nikeiausa April 08 2014 at 1:03 PM

the "problem" with going to roughly the same places is I've had everything on the menu 100 times. but if we go someplace else, outside of when we travel, I always feel like I got screwed. nobody knows you, no handshakes,,,i feel like an outsider.

Flag 0 rate up
agtnew7 nikeiausa April 08 2014 at 1:58 PM

Yeah stick with the new hardware

Flag +2 rate up
Connie April 08 2014 at 12:51 PM

My brother was served a bolt in a hamburger at Shoney's, so yes it can happen. They apologized profusely and comped he and his wife's dinner. They said it must have fallen from the oven hood.

bull Connie April 08 2014 at 1:23 PM

wher was the nut or lock washer?