Woman drives into lake, survives after nearly an hour underwater

Woman Drives Into Lake, Survives After Nearly an Hour Underwater

A 60-year-old woman drove her car into Lake Houston -- and remarkably, she survived for nearly an hour.

Two people nearby witnessed the car being driven into the lake and called police. A sergeant from the Harris County Sheriff's Office tells KHOU how the woman managed to survive.

'Apparently there was an air pocket that she was taking advantage of inside of the vehicle, and it saved her life.'

The sergeant explained the car had broken windows on the driver's side, and the woman was eventually able to float out that window.

'A situation like that usually doesn't have the kind of outcome that we had today.'

The sheriff's office calls this survival story "unbelievable." The woman didn't need CPR and was responsive, but she was reportedly incoherent.

'That's usually a recovery situation.'

The woman is now considered stable. Exactly how she ended up in the lake hasn't been confirmed.

shindogdiggity88 April 07 2014 at 6:56 PM

There's a myth going around that power windows will NOT work underwater when in fact, they more than likely WILL (assuming the battery doesn't get disconnected during the crash).

However, it's always a good idea to buy one of those devices that has a seatbelt cutter and a glass breaker in one, they sell them at Walmart.
Personally I carry a knife with a glass breaker in the handle for just this reason.

Brian Hope shindogdiggity88 April 07 2014 at 7:01 PM

Water will short out electrical circuits, and no car is totally water-tight. A manually-powered backup system would be very much appreciated by people in this dilemma.

imperator58 Brian Hope April 07 2014 at 8:31 PM

Yeah, we USED to have those, LOL

Flag 0 rate up
mrknobs Brian Hope April 07 2014 at 8:41 PM

12 volt car battery still works when submerged, provided it wasn't destroyed in the accident.

Flag 0 rate up
wittlief April 07 2014 at 10:25 PM

You have to Sign In first to leave a comment.is happened in Texas.
The police and the two bystanders fired their 45 caliber pistols at the water for an hour,
That's what saved her!

DoveLuvs April 08 2014 at 4:31 AM

These things are called Miracles and God does protect us with his Angels I hope this woman knows this and is praising GOD right now for her life.

Brian Hope April 07 2014 at 6:08 PM

Car/truck windows should have emergency manual crank handles so that they could be rolled down without requiring electrical power.

shindogdiggity88 Brian Hope April 07 2014 at 6:49 PM

Most vehicles equipped with power windows will still have the ability to roll the windows down when completely submerged.

What you state is a common myth.

peatoonia shindogdiggity88 April 08 2014 at 1:57 AM

What do you roll them down with? There are no cranks!

Flag 0 rate up
meryleeweisman April 07 2014 at 8:11 PM

From a retired nurse, who is now a specialty contractor, a hammer and a cutter can save your life! As a home health nurse, here in south Florida, I've driven thousands of miles, past canals and lakes. I have taped to my console one of those plastic enclosed razor blades designed to open mail. I have a second one taped within reach behind my seat, if I drop the first one! I used to have a metal hammer next to me, that's gone. Replaced with a "dead blow", get to Harbor Freight tools and BUY ONE. It's orange, can't miss it. It's called a "dead blow", because of it's design, one blow and your dead!. The head design enhances the force of the blow the hand delivers, quadruples it. I'm a small woman, I can easily shatter a windshield, one stroke with this. Anyone can. BTW, it is "stupid cheap" under five bucks.

propertyrental66 April 07 2014 at 7:12 PM

Ugh. Once again I read the story and part doesn't even make sense. The windows were broken so she was able to float out, yet she was in there for an hour. I guess they write these so I HAVE to waste time watching the video to see the story. Except the video didn't add anything. Useless story if you want to know the most important parts.

riverwishin propertyrental66 April 07 2014 at 7:47 PM

You are absolutely right propertyrental66! I find most every story provided by Huffington Post or AOL lacking on so many levels! It seems every story I read just leaves me with more questions. Sometimes the story isn't even about the Headline that caused me to read the darn story in the first place
!!

mykecusa@netscap propertyrental66 April 07 2014 at 7:56 PM

hmmmm you must be a youngster. Important to you may not be important to another.

dngrx April 07 2014 at 1:40 PM

unbelieveable!!

shaynametcalfe April 07 2014 at 6:13 PM

Amazing story of survival.

Iris April 07 2014 at 6:15 PM

It just was not her time to depart this world.
She might have some job to do to make all better for us.
I wish her luck