'The Price is Right' celebrates 8,000 episodes

'The Price Is Right' Celebrates 8,000 Episodes
"The Price is Right" is now 8,000 episodes old. To celebrate the milestone, "CBS This Morning" took a behind-the-scenes look at one of daytime TV's most popular shows - including how producers find contestants.

'Guys, guys, guys, I'm desperately searching for somebody that wants a new car. What I'm looking for is three things basically: energy, sincerity and potential comedy.'

The daytime edition of the show we've come to know and love premiered on CBS in 1972 with Bob Barker as the host.

What you might not know, though, is the show initially ran in daytime and primetime on NBC and ABC in the '50s and '60s. Legendary game show host Bill Cullen was at the helm back then.

Now, Drew Carey hosts the longest-running game show in television history. Broadway World points out the show has had more than 2 million audience members and nearly 70,000 contestants have 'come on down.'

The Hollywood Reporter also notes the show is the most watched on daytime TV, even after being on the air for several decades. The show remains at the top of the ratings in its 42nd season.

CBS reports the show has given away a quarter of a billion dollars in prizes. Congratulations on 8,000 episodes. Here's to 8,000 more.

JammingGrn April 08 2014 at 11:32 AM

I watched "The Price Is Right " when it first came on the air and I have watched ever since. I enjoyed it with Bob Barker and I am throughly enjoying watching it with Drew Carey as host. I am eigthy four years young living in Baton Rouge, La. and I am planning a trip to Los Angeles to be on "The Price Is Right" as it is at the top of my bucket list because it is my favorite game show.

you hippie April 08 2014 at 12:25 PM

I'd like to see Drew Carey replace David Letterman.

Patty Du you hippie April 08 2014 at 1:40 PM

Hey you hippie ... that's a wonderful idea and many of might begin staying up late to watch the show with Drew Carey on it ............ however, would hate to see him leave The Price is Right

Pat and Rabbit April 08 2014 at 11:30 AM

I have been watching the show since Bill Cullen was the MC .watch it almost every day.

Kathie & Bill April 08 2014 at 2:46 PM

November 11, 2009: My wife dragged me out at 5:00am from our hotel to stand in line on the sidewalk to get a seat for that day's taping. After breakfast nearby, we got back in line on these skinny benches and went through a series of ID checks, interviews (about 10 seconds each) and more hurry up and wait. About noon, we finally werre ushered into the studio.

We couldn't see too much of what was happening on the stage 'cause of all the cameras and couldn't hear much 'cause of all the audience noise. Soooo, I didn't even hear when they said "(My Name) - Come On down" Holy crud, my wife nuged me and said "THAT'S YOU".

I ran up on stage and made a fool of myself by bidding way over price on a desk. Then I bid correctly on a (very nice) set of luggage. The out-of-work teacher ahead of me spun $1.00 on the wheel so my chances were slim. I went over on my second spin.

What an experience - I'll never forget it.
Bill

marielsapp April 08 2014 at 11:19 AM

I am happy to say I am a member of the Price Is Right Family , COME ON DOWN!... in the Bob Barker days....Great time and so exciting. I took the money instead of going for the "NEW CAR!" and I would have won the car! Still, so much fun and a memory I will never forget with my sisters. Everyone should try to attend the show if they are visiting Los Angeles; amazing energy and the real deal to be in Hollywood...P.S. Young and Restless was taping right next door and was able to see many charactors of the show going to work... another bonus!

you hippie April 08 2014 at 12:28 PM

Don't forget, Johnny Carson had a backround in game-shows.

lrl62741 April 08 2014 at 10:21 AM

its a good clean tv show,no swearing just lot fun, if you dont like it switch ch dont complain,drew is doing a great job.of cause this is just my opnion, i sure people will not all agree with me.

aaflyboy1 April 08 2014 at 12:31 PM

LOVE THE PRICE IS RIGHT!
I remember when I lived in Western New York and school was closed due to snow.
Loved watching The price Is Right!
CBS, Please do a reunion show with Bob Barker and all the girls (Leave the drama and gossip behind)
How about reuniting the models and have them mixed in with the new cast??
Also, how about a HOLIDAY GIVEAWAY! This was done in the past.
CBS # 1
HAWAII FIVE 0 EXCELLANT!

Patty Du April 08 2014 at 1:38 PM

Without a doubt, this is the show for our family and always has been ... this is one show the whole family can watch without worrying about what might happen if children are around ... keep up the good work and shows Price is Right ... and thanks for the entertainment you've provided!!!

page114 April 08 2014 at 3:26 PM

Great choice for Drew Carey as a host.