Former homeless woman attempts to break truck-pulling world record in heels

Former Homeless Woman Attempts to Break Truck-Pulling World Record in Heels
Talk about a woman who's fearless in heels! Lia Grimanis recently attempted to break the world record for pulling a heavy vehicle- in a pair of stilettos.

She's long been known for pulling trucks with her bare hands, but the story of how she got to this point is also interesting.

'When I was homeless, I have to say that I actually didn't think my life would turn into anything.'

According to the Toronto Star, Grimanis, who is from Canada, escaped an abusive home at age 18 with nothing more than the clothes she was wearing. She told herself she would fulfill her big dreams and eventually share her story of success with women in need.

Grimanis got her first taste of heavy-lifting when she began running rickshaws. She even founded her own rickshaw company before landing a six-figure sales job at a software company, according to the Beach Metro.

Today, Grimanis is sharing her story in hopes of inspiring other struggling women.

Grimanis has created "Up With Women," a nonprofit dedicated to empowering homeless women and girls.

Grimanis says pulling rickshaws was how she pulled herself out of poverty, and now she's "pulling" other women out of poverty too -- by hauling trucks. She told the "Today" show her training is somewhat embarrassing.

'It's the most humiliating thing actually, because I go into a parking lot and I tie myself to my car.'

Grimanis attempted to break the world record for pulling the heaviest truck while wearing heels on Monday.

Unfortunately, Grimanis couldn't get those darn heels to stop slipping, but she's already a record-holder in other events.

According to the World Record Academy, Grimanis broke the world record for the heaviest vehicle pulled 100 feet by a woman.

The truck weighed a whopping 17,000 pounds! She earned that title in December 2013.

This latest attempt in heels not only raised awareness, but also $25,000 for a nonprofit called Women In Need, which provides resources for homeless women and children in New York City.

rm10014 April 08 2014 at 4:16 PM

wow that's one way to pull your life around.

mramirez258 April 08 2014 at 3:33 PM

as a former bodey bulder i say good for you rock most want to be tuff guys that run thir mouth coudent pull weight like you girl you do your thing and help those ladeys get help they desirve no man should hit a ladey

teeveequeen mramirez258 April 08 2014 at 4:02 PM

OMG ... are you also a "former" student who obviously FAILED and/or DROPPED out of school???

onyota1 April 08 2014 at 1:39 PM

AS a man I like to say Great job by this women . Sounds to me like she would put some men to
shame and I don't mean by pulling trucks . She not a quitter she gets up out and does what needs
to be done to make her life and other womens lives better . GRAET JOB

Aaron April 08 2014 at 1:33 PM

It's just physics. Once you get it rolling it's fairly simple to keep it rolling. I own and drive a truck (2003 Pete and 50' hopper) with a 32,500 empty weight, and when empty, you CAN push it by simply good traction. Of course, you have to be on the straight and level.

dlpierce1 April 08 2014 at 12:28 PM

I say give her credit for the effort. There is no doubt she is very strong and she raised money for a great cause.

whcduan April 08 2014 at 12:22 PM

LOL

Steve-a-rino April 08 2014 at 8:19 AM

Wow - right up there with setting the hot dog-eating record or having the longest fingernails. This will definitely make a difference and create social change. One woman pulling a truck in high heels doesn't prove anything we don't already know. Any man can tell you that women can do anything they want to do - but the emphasis is on "want." Not every woman needs that much validation.

virginia.sanchez8 April 08 2014 at 3:06 PM

all I have to say is some of you men are idiots for posting absurd comments.

mramirez258 virginia.sanchez8 April 08 2014 at 3:38 PM

not all men agree with that idiot he is less then a man to put a woman down to make him self better lol i am for all a womans rites to treat a ladey rite as i would treat my mother with respect

dwtomczyk April 08 2014 at 7:01 AM

she was not pulling my finger

amldix April 08 2014 at 10:31 AM

Most of the negative comments here are made by men...hurts their ego to see a strong woman. Kudos to her!