'Catch A Contractor': Mistake leaves family in grave danger

'Catch A Contractor': Contractor's Mistake Leaves Family In Grave Danger

Spike's 'Catch a Contractor' shows viewers the dangers of working with bad contractors -- and what a contractor named Myron did to the Wislocki family could've cost them their lives.

"The hood is way too high. It is not safe. It would never pass inspection."

"Range hoods don't just clear smoke from the kitchen - more importantly, they serve as a fire barrier between the stove and the cabinetry."

Yes, this hood was so high, it could've caused a fire.

The situation in the kitchen was so bad, the couple was forced to keep their food in their spare bedroom -- a room where their grandchildren used to spend the night. The show confronted Myron, but he had no apologies.

The family said they later found out this guy didn't even have a license. The Wislockis are now taking legal action.

Luckily, the show fixed their kitchen. They were blown away by the renovation ... of their renovation.

On Twitter, users thought it was a major improvement.

Unlicensed contractors are a pretty prevalent problem: 13 were just arrested in a sting in California.

The show advised to check online through your state and make sure your contractor is legit.

Raqi121 April 07 2014 at 2:50 PM

Just because a contractor is licensed, it does not mean they are qualified or care whether they do a good job.

ltcordeiro Raqi121 April 07 2014 at 3:13 PM

You got that right, that is why I gave a list of option's to check, Cordeiro Tile. 25Yrs at the trade I care and I sleep nights.

micky74007 April 07 2014 at 4:20 PM

I think a little more due dilligence when hiring someone to work in your home is a necessary requirement of the home owner. DON'T hire a contracter before you check out his license, and check with the BBB if there are any complaints against him.

skitzlpk April 07 2014 at 12:35 PM

According to the picture supplied in this article, yes, it's obvious this vent was installed too high to actually do it's job. As a contractor though, I've never heard of a hood vent being a "fire break" between cabinetry. If you have a downdraft system, you're going to have exposed cabinetry above your stovetop & that vent has to be on to offer any type of ventilation aid. Almost always, cabinetry borders both sides of a 30-36" wide stove top which normally aren't covered with any type of fire retardant material & it is indeed combustible.

If you're cooking & flames are involved due to non observation by letting grease or any other combustible cooking ingredients catch on fire, it doesn't matter where this hood vent is installed, your kitchen is going up in flames!

It never ceases to amaze me how little common sense is involved & people are so willing/eager to take the word of someone supposedly certified or knowledgeable in that area of expertise.

This is one screwed up article saying "this could have caused a fire" & doesn't even point to surrounding circumstances. I'd love to read their cause of action & exactly what they expect to legally get out of all of this.

They had to keep their food in a bedroom because of this,, really??

I'd love to challenge this "Catch a contractor" on air to put them on the spot with their seemingly bogus claims..

stephen284 skitzlpk April 07 2014 at 2:06 PM

I always marvel at the contractor/flipping shows. As a long time licensed electrical and general contractor in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, I find myself defending "real" contractors and the time required to do a project correctly.

These shows do nothing more than a quick coverup that looks nice for awhile. I'd like to see these "makeovers" in a year or two. The problem is that now the public expects a two week turn-around on major structural projects because they saw it on TV. Nothing like pouring a foundation today and building on it tomorrow. Apparently TV shows don't need to cure concrete correctly.

Unfortunately, decent contractors now have to compete with every jackass that goes to Home Depot or Lowe's, buys a hammer, and calls himself a contractor!

mjmbuilder April 07 2014 at 4:22 PM

Being a true carpenter for 40 year (never called myself an expert,always learning) learning under excellent craftsmen I am tried of these self proclaimed TV experts. Come back to me when you have gotten years of experience the right way not the TV way. Yes and there are shuckers out there.

tvframing mjmbuilder April 07 2014 at 6:42 PM

Amen MJM Builders. Been a Lic Framing Contractor General Contractor for 30 years and I am still learning. Im am so tired of seeing these programs on TV that make all contractors look like they have know idea whats up. In all the years I have come to the conclusion that having a lic does not make you a good contractor.

stardust3947 tvframing April 07 2014 at 6:53 PM

If you don't know the difference between No idea and "know idea", I would probably have second thoughts about hiring you.

Flag +3 rate up
rwdrakepi April 07 2014 at 12:29 PM

I don't understand, why do they store their food in another room because of the range hood? What does one have to do with the other? Secondly, I have never seen cabinets that close to a stove, that's the problem, not the height of the hood.

Sharon rwdrakepi April 07 2014 at 12:51 PM

I would assume they were using the bedroom to store boxed goods but looking at the picture...well it just looks like a junk room and the Grans haven't been there in ages!

emailcam42 April 07 2014 at 12:28 PM

What type of a cook would create a flame like that in a frying pan, Come on.

birds2nv April 07 2014 at 12:28 PM

Want to be sure you have a good contractor? Require he post a bond with a bonding company for your job. Then if he doesn't finish the job, or if there are code violations the bonding company will have to pay off to fix it if they can't get him to make good. Then they, not you, will have to chase him.
What if the contractor is not bondable? There is your answer!

vadar57 April 07 2014 at 12:24 PM

Actually that is not true. Most of the time Licensing through a specific municipalities is a money scam. And building codes are more designed as money making scams. The amount of permit fees some municipalities charge almost make the jobs unaffordable. In this case above there is nothing wrong with the height of the hood it is the cabinets are too close to the stove. The hood above would not act like a flame barrier.

wvanwagner vadar57 April 07 2014 at 12:28 PM

You prove the point -- this unlicensed contractor place the hood too high AND the cabinets too close. One or the other is just as bad.

WILLS April 07 2014 at 12:22 PM

I bet there also was NO fire extinguisher anywhere to be had. People don't think until after the fact. Yup, I keep one under the sink where it's handy.

jnjsec April 07 2014 at 3:39 PM

I like this show because it exposes the contractor. I watch Holmes on Homes and they don't. I think all the home improvement shows that re-do a bad contractors work should show them on TV so people are aware.