Virginia police uncover major teenage sexting ring

Virginia Police Uncover Major Teenage Sexting Ring

By Collin Ruane
Newsy

Police in Virginia say they have discovered a sexting ring involving more than 100 teens across at least six counties.

WWBT reports is started when the mom of a high school student said she noticed strange activity on her daughter's Instagram account.

Early on, authorities were investigating explicit pictures of just three teenagers, but WTVR points out the the number of teens allegedly involved skyrocketed when authorities found more than 1,000 sexually explicit pictures on two Instagram accounts.

At least one of those accounts has since been taken down. So far, WRIC notes police have seized about two dozen cellphones for a forensics investigation into what police say appeared to be consensual photos.

‚Äč"There was like 13 naked girls on there. ... They came to me, and they took my phone, too. They're trying to figure out who started the page."

This major bust comes just about a month after North Carolina police investigated up to 40 different Instagram accounts across the state which allegedly shared nude photos of teenagers. (Via WSOC)

A 17-year-old was arrested and charged with cyberbullying for sharing a picture of a 15-year-old girl on one of those accounts. As for the ring in Virginia, WRIC reports police aren't expected to charge anyone underage. (Via ABC)

Hey! April 06 2014 at 10:26 PM

Sad, just sad and their not that much younger than me. D:

mielkele Hey! April 07 2014 at 8:31 AM

Sad, just sad, and they're not that much younger than I am.

kevin April 06 2014 at 7:06 PM

Way to go parents....keep doing what you're doing and let your kids raise themselves. Obviously its been working out! Oh wait...

DENNY April 07 2014 at 7:53 AM

CLANCY 3909---YOU HAVE IT RIGHT--WHAT A MESS THINGS ARE IN NOW--

TonyE April 06 2014 at 7:13 PM

This is not the only case of this going on in VA. I believe this is just the beginning of problems ACROSS the USA!!

kbmcgrant TonyE April 06 2014 at 7:31 PM

agreed

jcrttt April 07 2014 at 7:46 AM

Children do foolish things, they make mistakes and should be punished. If on the other hand there are any adults involved, what happens to them should involve the DA.

Marrieah April 06 2014 at 9:48 PM

The days of trying to protect our kids from the realities of life are long gone. Why because we also want our kids to be like everybody else and not feel left out. We start them off very young with the latest gadgets that come up because its the newest thing. We schedule play dates with other kids and feel our kids being bullied if they are left out. Once upon a time kid were taught be be self reliant.
We want our kids to be innocent, but the old way of raising kids are outdated, and sadly the courts side with the kids otherwise they grow up warped. We have folks (professionals they are called) to tell us everything about how to act, when to act, what to do even while the child is born, things I find amazing considering that birthing and raising a child has been done for eons, with relatively no problems.
So now in our quest to protect our kids we supply them with phones that take pictures and keep them connected and how do they stay connected, they find ways to amuse themselves by taking nude pictures of themselves. Stuff that was once taboo is full blown out and out in your face, up close and personal, from sex, cursing, killing, being disrespectful, mouthing off, bullying, and most of this stuff comes from TV, the movies, videos yes, txing,
As parents, we are supposed to raising our kids, not trying to get another chance at childhood vicariously thur our kids. I used to protest viciously if I could get away with it when my mother said no, but your know what, I'm happy that she did.
The mother in question did the right thing in notifying the police, but in actuality, what now? A lecture? Those kids will probably laugh.

Joan Zawacki April 06 2014 at 10:36 PM

Charge these kids and arrest them for two weeks. Have their parents visit every day and discuss what breach of morals their kid has done. They need to understand that this is not funny...it is Wrong and immoral. It begins at home and continues in school. Kids should be forced to lock up their phones in a locker before school and these stupid kids who do this sexting should not be allowed to have their iphones or ipads, etc. Good for the rout of the baseball team. Do more.

lynn136503 Joan Zawacki April 06 2014 at 10:56 PM

You know, first off, taking a kids phone away when thier parent needs to reach them is stupid. With all the shootings, bomb threats, and other dumb things we have to deal with, if i knew my kid had a phone i bought him and he wasn't loud to have it durring school hours and something happened i would be beside my side not knowing if he was ok. Second of all, jail for two weeks is seriously extreme. You might hate kids and have a mean streak in you, but there is a better way to handle this. Perhaps a better technology that better suits underage people by limiting pictures or social media. two weeks in jail would make thier lives equally as bad as having the permant record on thier shoulders. Just becasue the news out lets create a new moral, doesn't mean you need to jump on the band wagon and sing its praises. These rules are made to protect the people that are too young to engage in these activities, they are not made because it has simply been decdied that taking these pictures is now a sin against society and God. There is another way to deal with this. We just need to find it.

Go RU ! Joan Zawacki April 07 2014 at 3:00 AM

Give them the phones that only allow emergency calls and calls to home, parents' work, etc. There are cheap programmable ones that can only be used to call the numbers programmed in them. Then they would have phones for emergencies, but would maybe be paying attention in class and not using phones to text each other for the answers on exams, or taking dirty pictures. It would definitely take care of the sexting and texting while driving problem.

TooDles, Goddess April 07 2014 at 7:24 AM

All that came for the article was the headline "Virginia police uncover major teenage sexting ring" "null". No articule, nothing.

twotechs TooDles, Goddess April 07 2014 at 7:32 AM

refresh your page or google it. And, article .

rosetaboy64 April 06 2014 at 9:40 PM

Remember when you used to buy a phone and it would last 20 years. You didn't need insurance in case you dropped it because it sat on a desk next to your front door. It had a cord and you NEVER lost it. Nowadays you have to upgrade it every two years. I had a cell phone company call me on my cell phone (now they solicit on my private number too) and tell me my phone was eligible for an upgrade. When I told him my phone was ok and I didn't need it, he was baffled that I didn't want to upgrade it. I was baffled that he couldn't figure that out. Must have been a young kid.
Girls always have and always will want to pose like a model and be photographed in that manner. Some harmless and some provocative for a boyfriend, but they all want it. I remember girls in my school doing the same thing but with regular cameras. They just didn't have face book and my space and other outlets to put it on the internet. I recall seeing polaroid's pictures of naked girls at my school when I was in high school. There boyfriends had them and were showing them around the locker room. Sure the girls were teased but it blew over pretty fast. Not like today where the girls get hate mail from complete strangers and others at school. It's easy for them to forward the photo or reprint then endlessly.
Bottom line.. too much too soon for the younger generation. They need to learn respect for the technology before abusing it. Just like driving a car.
What started out as a fun thing on Youtube showing family videos or movies has turned into an out let for girls dancing around in bras and panties or laying on the bed kissing each other. There are thousands of those videos on there. ( I know cause I personally watched everyone of them in discussed. HA HA ! just kidding!)
All this technology has it's rightful place as long as it's treated with respect.

Sandra rosetaboy64 April 06 2014 at 10:02 PM

Well, said, rosetaboy64.

bribabylk April 06 2014 at 7:21 PM

Cell phones are NOT essential to ANY minor's education, personal development, or safety. Neither is the unsupervised use of a computer. Hold on to the laptops until the kids need them to complete schoolwork, and only let them use them in your presence, or put the desktop in a central location in the home and only let the kids use it IN THE PRESENCE OF AN ADULT. Don't be afraid to take away your kids' phones! It's crazy how the resolve of parents seems to crumble when it comes to cellphones; but it shouldn't be surprising when so many adults seem to regard cellphones as extensions of their own bodies. Children don't HAVE to have them. I'm tempted to make allowances for this idea that they can be "locked" or password enabled or made safer under other such measures, but you can't let yourself be in denial over the reality that for most parents, your kids are SMARTER THAN YOU ARE when it comes to tech. They will find ways around whatever safeguard you implement. Once again: Take away the phones! They can have all the phones they want when they turn 18 **AND** can afford the phones and cost of service themselves. It's really not rocket science when it comes to protecting your children, you just have to have the WILL.

silver_zelenia bribabylk April 06 2014 at 7:34 PM

There are plenty of teenagers out there that are mature enough to own a cell phone, laptop, etc... You shouldn't judge the whole by the few.

Roger bribabylk April 06 2014 at 7:41 PM