WATCH: Car slams into store, narrowly misses elderly woman

WATCH: Car Slams Into Store, Narrowly Misses Elderly Woman
An 80-year-old woman in Florida was just inches from being run over while she was shopping inside a drug store. "Fox & Friends" has the surveillance video.

'Everything seems pretty calm inside as a woman pushes her shopping cart in front of the counter. But just as she backs up, a car comes crashing right through the front of the store, narrowly missing her.'

WPTV says the driver, 84-year-old Margaret Underwood, had just backed up into another car in the parking lot before mistakenly hitting the gas and plowing into the store, nearly slamming into 80-year-old Adrienne Watkins.

According to Bay News 9, both women were just fine aside from a few cuts and bruises, and Adrienne Watkins says she's thanking a higher power for this.

'I looked up and I thought, 'Oh God, you've taken care of me. Thank you.' He was really working.'

WFLA explains the CVS drugstore was not so lucky.

'It caused more than $65,000 in damages to the store and at least a day closed for repairs.'

Despite the scare, Watkins joked the incident prevented her from indulging in the sweets at the counter.

'Looking at some candy, which I should not have been, so I guess God was telling me, you know, 'Don't do it.'

Police gave Underwood a ticket for improper backing and careless driving.

rlightb240 April 06 2014 at 8:38 AM

For all the young ones out there . At least she made it to her 80s , keep texting, smoking weed, boozing it up, painting your face with makeup, and numerous other things while driving and see how long you live.

moeelmore rlightb240 April 06 2014 at 9:28 AM

too right. Recently a woman driver had to do a panic stop behind me at a red light. I thought for sure she was going to take me out! She was putting on make up and had a cell phone tucked under her chin (I could see it in the rear view mirror). After stopping she put the phone down and picked up a giant cup and took a drink. Of course around here its illegal to talk on a hand held phone or text, but no one is ticketed as the cops are on the phone, texting, on the radio and computer - all at the same time!!

nikki castonguay rlightb240 April 06 2014 at 9:30 AM

right on!!

sylvabugg2 April 06 2014 at 10:52 AM

Time to hang up the keys Grandma. I never understood why people insist on driving way past the point they point they know they shouldn't be. There are too many other ways to get where you need to go. When I get too old to drive safely, I'm hanging up the keys. I do not want to responsible for the deaths of innocent people just because I was too stubborn to give up driving. I couldn't live with myself.

debnaert April 06 2014 at 11:22 AM

So........... is she 80 OR 84? Do you guys ever proof read??????????? Not this younger generation.

runswthscisors40 April 06 2014 at 12:02 PM

When I die, I wanna go peacefully, in my sleep.....not screaming, like the other people in my Grandpa's van.................

xraybrain April 06 2014 at 12:50 PM

The montra of the elderly........."ohhh I hit the gas instead of the brake"

sindfetish xraybrain April 06 2014 at 1:36 PM

My wife Mertel.... OMG did SHE hit the "gas" peeeeeeuuu

donahuepapad123 April 06 2014 at 12:54 PM

dont worry people help is on the way , very soon , and i do mean very soon , all cars manufactured are going to have a computer program self driving mode , and stop all this stuff , to drunk to drive ? car wont let you and takes you home , fall asleep in car and not enough oxygin ? not to worry sensors pick up on it and open window slightly , they are already testing and driving them , and most new cars are equiped with upgrade ports ? i cant wait , car take me to beech , wake me up two mile before , run program ....................................................................................

Oh Great One! donahuepapad123 April 06 2014 at 2:21 PM

I'm very intrigued by the self-driving cars. I'm also looking forward to them!

yayabeanes April 06 2014 at 6:54 PM

And Mrs. Watkins didn't buy any lottery tickets...Not even a scratch off?

Tris April 06 2014 at 1:33 PM

I think their 'god' should consider annual testing to see whom amongst these elderly time-bombs are fit to be behind the wheel. I can't decide what's worse, driving in proximity to an 80 year old woman who can't see over the steering wheel, or a crappy pontiac or leased cadilac bumping as loud as the stock speakers allow it while swerving back and forth with fake-gangsta teens hanging out the windows brandishing air-soft pistols.

Then I ask myself whom I'd rather encounter on the sidewalk. Oh what a miserable world.

cbcmkting April 06 2014 at 1:42 PM

I think at a certain age one needs to have manditory driving testa every 2 years! Old people become a danger lose eyesight, reflexes, are too tentative forget where pedals are etc..

Lisa April 06 2014 at 5:56 PM

She should have gotten the candy FREE after that! LOL!! Lucky lady!!