Skydiver Killed During World Record Attempt In Arizona

Skydiver Killed During World Record Attempt In Arizona

A German skydiver attempting to set a world record with 221 other jumpers in Arizona is dead after officials say her parachute went off too late. Forty-six-year-old Diana Paris died after her main parachute malfunctioned and her reserve chute opened too late. Diane was part of a group of more than 200 experienced skydivers.

According to a blog post from Paris' group, The World Team, the divers were trying to set a world skydiving record for most skydivers changing from one formation to another in a jump.

CNN reports Paris' main parachute went off to low to the ground for her reserve chute to open fully. She was declared dead at the scene.

The World Team members have decided to attempt to break that world record once again, but they say they won't be adding another member in Paris' place.

The The World Team released a statement saying the following: "It will no longer be a two point 222-way. It will be a 2 point 221-way. Our dear friend can not and will not be replaced. The group will continue to hold the slot open in the skydiver's honor."

This is the second time in the last year someone died in Arizona while attempting to break a skydiving world record. In December of 2013, two men, who were part of a different group of 200, were killed when they collided midair.

Investigators are currently working with the FAA to determine if Paris' parachute malfunctioned. Police say the cause of the accident had nothing to do with the size of the group in the air or any other skydivers.

alstenzel April 04 2014 at 3:50 PM

How many people were killed today by texting drivers?

spx94 April 04 2014 at 2:22 PM

1 out of 221 pretty good odds.

Velocity105 April 04 2014 at 6:41 PM

Sorry bout cher luck young lady, I hope there are planes and parachutes in Heaven.

junglecruiser April 04 2014 at 11:21 PM

I did all this crazy **** when I was single. After getting married and now a husband and dad that stuff is all a "been there, done that". When you bring children into this world you SHARE your life.

Johnny ! junglecruiser April 05 2014 at 12:13 AM

You sacrifice your life.

dirtraxx23 junglecruiser April 05 2014 at 5:13 AM

If that works for you ,all well & good. Being a husband and father of 4 wasn't going to deter me from climbing in my race car. I shared all the good and not so good with my family when I was racing. Being a professional truck driver over 30 years ,it is more likely for something bad to happen on the road than when I was racing. It is sad someone lost their life doing something they love, but she accepted the risk and enjoyed her life and the rush from jumping out of planes. Prayers to those she left behind.

Brian Workman April 04 2014 at 10:41 PM

I always open my main chute three mistakes high & my reserve chute two mistakes high, off the ground. Because of doing this I survived, what is called a MayWest chute openning, while jumping in competition, in Germany.

Religious Education Brian Workman April 04 2014 at 11:11 PM

Survived a cigarette roll by popping my reserve off a T10-B. Hard landing, but I was fine. The rigger ran for his life. Only malfunction in 647 static-line, MFF, and skydiving jumps in 35 years.

wittlief April 04 2014 at 11:12 PM

Ski divers carry two chutes,the 2nd one is in case the 1st one fails.
Let that sink in, and the problem will become obvious.

Howard Hudnell April 04 2014 at 11:12 PM

I WOULD STAY WITH THE PLANE UNLESS IT WASON FIRE

ajenergy April 04 2014 at 4:21 PM

Dumbest line of the day is "Investigators are currently working with the FAA to determine if Paris' parachute malfunctioned". DAAAAAAA !

Jeff ajenergy April 04 2014 at 4:36 PM

Are you serious!!!

ycplum April 04 2014 at 2:24 PM

The artcle sid her main chute "malfunctioned", which is a catchall for a lot of failures to include failure to deploy. Anyone know what was the malfunction? Failure to to extract the chute from the bag, failure of the pilot chute to fully deploy main chute, lines got tangle, etc. ?

geri April 04 2014 at 12:54 PM

While I would never jump out of a plane (unless my life depended on it) More power to those who do, and to those who jump over canyons and leap off bridges with bungy cords. It is thier choice. If you do not agree with them then don't do it. It is that simple. While I feel sad for the family that has to bury this women, they know she died doing what she wanted to do. Live and let live. :)