Hollywood Life: James Franco Confesses Why He Hit On 17-Year-Old Girl — Interview

Fri, April 4, 2014 10:33am EDT

by Andrew Gruttadaro

How about this timing!? On April 4, three days after he hit on a 17-year-old girl on Instagram, James appeared on 'Live With Kelly and Michael,' and surprisingly, James didn't waste any time addressing the 800-pound gorilla in the room.

Though the heat has been turned all the way up on him thanks to an alleged Instagram flirtation with a 17-year-old girl, James Franco bravely hit the set of Live With Kelly and Michael on April 4. And right away, he decided to address his social media controversy.

James Franco Apologizes For Scandal: 'I Used Bad Judgment'

It wasn't clear whether or not Kelly or Michael would address the scandal, but James obviously wasn't going to make his appearance and pretend that nothing was going on. So right away he owned up to everything.

"I'm embarrassed," James somberly admitted. "I guess I'm just a model about how social media's tricky. It's a way people meet each other today, but what I've learned is you don't know who's on the other end. I used bad judgment and I learned my lesson."

James then explained how he feels he's in a tough spot, because as a famous person it's nearly impossible for him to make a connection without it becoming news. "Unfortunately in my position, not only do I have to go through the embarrassing rituals of meeting someone, but if I do that, then it gets published for the world so it's doubly embarrassing."

Kelly Ripa, to her credit, knew just how to lighten the mood after James' brave confession. "I promise I will not reveal our text messages."

James found himself in hot water when screenshots of Instagram and text conversations with 17-year-old fan, Lucy Clode, leaked on the internet. The Instagram back-and-forth showed James asking Lucy for her number and where she was staying in New York (Lucy is from Scotland).

After Lucy supposedly gave James her number, subsequent screenshots showed that they had a quick exchange where James again asked if Lucy was single, where she was staying, and if he should rent his own room there. The actor then sent Lucy two pictures of himself to prove that it was him. Obviously when the conversations went public, the internet exploded and James took a ton of grief for hitting on such a young fan, even though the age of consent in New York is 17.

But you have to give James some credit for going on TV and completely owning up to his mistakes. He got tripped up for sure, but he wasn't afraid to admit it and we think he's extremely brave for doing that. Do you agree, HollywoodLifers? Let us know!

– Andrew Gruttadaro

More James Franco News:
The Muppets, Seth Rogen & More Parody Kim Kardashian 'Vogue' Cover
James Franco Becomes Rob Riggle In Hilarious Super Bowl Ad
Kanye West: Is He Furious At 'SNL' For Mocking Kimye? The Truth

ERIN S SHANNON April 04 2014 at 2:43 PM

this is free publicity for his soon to be released movie that deals with the same subject. The whole think is allegedly staged

jayhreich April 04 2014 at 4:11 PM

Since what he did was not illegal, I say this: Judge not, that ye be not judged. How many have you have done something embarrassing (but legal) where you would have died if someone else found out? And then have half of the USA find out? Please. Let the guy alone.

keithj77441 jayhreich April 04 2014 at 4:24 PM

Can't think of anything that creepy

xrxs1020 jayhreich April 04 2014 at 4:34 PM

in the world of petty media, to whom only sensationalism counts, public disapproval and scorn is a major form of entertainment for a pathetically asleep population. Judging others makes people with limited interests and intelligence feel a little better, which only encourages more petty behavior.

The media are the global oligarchs' first line of defense against being exposed for the masterful con the global elites are perpetrating. While the masses are atwitter about nothing, the massive heist continues with hardly anyone paying attention. It's intentional.

What's the latest with the Malaysian airliner? Doesn't matter. It's all-fluff-all-the-time intended to obfuscate the real issues while entertaining the masses whose conditioned stupidity has been methodically groomed for decades.

All of us are being called to become a person who escapes this fake world of mass media and uber-shallowness. Once enough of us leave this artificial world, it dies because no one will buy the junk being peddled, allowing reality to emerge.

Killing your TV is always a good start!

louisecan2 April 04 2014 at 1:24 PM

I saw him on Live with Kelly and Micheal..I felt he was truly embarassed about his actions, and agree..maybe he didn't know her age, or the whole thing was as innocent as he said. He apologized, what more does the public need? It could happen to any of us, we're just not famous so nobody gives a ****! Give the guy a break...

bennppr April 05 2014 at 12:28 AM

Perfectly ok. I was 17 and dated those who were approaching thirty and were in their thirties. It is all a choice. She shouldn't have leaked it. Shame on her!!

soccerbob1152 bennppr April 05 2014 at 12:39 AM

I hear you, I am 95 and once dated a girl that was 16.....that was 78 years ago, hahahahaha

valgaavmiko April 04 2014 at 1:34 PM

Nothing he did was illegal so I don't understand the controversy.

gp341 valgaavmiko April 04 2014 at 1:41 PM

Exactly

missofmetal valgaavmiko April 04 2014 at 1:46 PM

I agree. And if we keep going on about this, it's only going to appear that there is something more controversial then there really is.

francesrea1 April 04 2014 at 1:42 PM

she could have had a handsome, smart, wealthy boyfriend and she blew it. What a dingbat.

loser1leo April 04 2014 at 5:11 PM

Heavy hangs the head that wears the crown. Cant people say some thing good, cheap shot.

June April 04 2014 at 1:50 PM

Did they for get this was a man? 17 is of legal age in New York, but I don't know why anyone would be interested in a 17 year old, lol! I know it was just about sex, they wouldn't have anything in common really. I really don't believe James Franco, is stupid either and it could be just a gimmick for publicity as well, could have been arranged. You never know these days.

yummybeach April 05 2014 at 1:27 AM

17 is LEGAL in new York state. So (although) Hugh Hefner age difference NOT Errol Flynn wrongdoing. Because they BOTH brought up the "eighteen" word (which she is in 1 month) it makes it sound like they both were thinking 18 was the legal age (which it is in California where James home is). We now know James likes gorgeous young blondes with Scottish accents. This is a non story. What's gross about a young hot chick? James feels bad about it and isn't sugar coating anything. Cut him some slack. He's a great guy who cares about others and causes and won't be picking up online anytime soon.

mvr1464 April 04 2014 at 2:06 PM

I was expecting something more salacious, but honestly, who cares????????????