Snake on a train causes evacuation

Snake on a Train Causes Evacuation
OK, cue the 'snakes on a plane' jokes: a snake on a train caused a major ruckus in Switzerland.

'A 20-inch snake slithered into a Swiss passenger train causing complete chaos; 450 passengers were evacuated because of this guy before police finally captured it,' 'GMA' reported.

Daily Mail reports the snake was spotted on an early-morning train. It was set to travel from Bern to Basel on Switzerland's main railway.The Bern police eventually caught the slippery sucker in a ventilation shaft on the train. Luckily, garter snakes aren't venomous.

It's pretty odd to find one in Switzerland - they're native to North America. SnakeBytesTV explains, 'They're the most distributed reptile in North America, and the only snake that inhabits Alaska.'

That's why authorities think a passenger brought the snake on the train as a pet, and it got loose. If only Samuel L. Jackson had been there ...

Butch Cavendish April 03 2014 at 10:33 AM

First we got snakes on a plane now we got snakes on a train what next snakes on a bus, snakes on a caribbean cruise ship, snakes in space? I had two garter snakes once they were great pets they stayed in their tank they ate gold fish and they were no bother at all.

Ron April 03 2014 at 6:39 PM

You all should learn that red next to yellow, will kill a fellow. Red next to black, no attack.

Oh Great One! Ron April 03 2014 at 6:47 PM

It's sad to think people panicked over a garter snake. Are we that removed from nature?

leonardo Oh Great One! April 03 2014 at 6:51 PM

not everyone is a herpetologist.

Flag 0 rate up
abourge458 Ron April 04 2014 at 1:36 AM

"Why did you pick up that poisonous coral snake you idiot?"

"Darn Clem, I always get that black/red thing backwards. Can you get it off my nose please?"

lgvxl42 April 03 2014 at 12:38 PM

..........Well for cripes sake! I've heard of "snakes on a plane". Is this the sequel?

Chris April 03 2014 at 11:42 AM

We played with garter snakes as kids in Michigan. About the worst thing they're capable of is peeing on you. The Swiss need to butch up a little.

Bob Chris April 03 2014 at 12:00 PM

Like you, I grew up in Michigan & we played with garter snakes as well but as the article stated, garter snakes are native to North America not Switzerland. Those passengers had never seen a garter snake before.

lgvxl42 Bob April 03 2014 at 12:44 PM

Ah yes, good old Allen Park. I used to catch them too. But, alas! My dad put an end to my career as a snake charmer. He couldn't stand them............LOL

Flag +1 rate up
popartst1 April 03 2014 at 5:38 PM

Gimme a break .. a little old garter snake ?! I had a 12 ft Burmese python try to get into my apt in Miami .. in the city .. Now that's a snake. I had kittens in my Fla room & thankfuuly the snake was scared away , It climbed a tree in my yard & had to be rescued .

Oh Great One! popartst1 April 03 2014 at 6:48 PM

I had an iguana that climbed a tree in our yard. We had to cut down the tree to get her back! :)

LL April 03 2014 at 4:05 PM

TOO BAD THAT THIS WASN'T EVE'S REACTION - when encountering that serpent

sharky1993 April 03 2014 at 12:36 PM

it gives me a chuckle because snakes dont bother me at all, had it been a spider, the storyline would read about an old man that jumped from a train.

cruiser94 sharky1993 April 03 2014 at 1:32 PM

Spiders aren't really my forte', but I'm much braver than my husband when it comes to taking care of them. Had I been on THIS train, however, the storyline would read, "Terrified Old Woman Flies Out Of Train!"

YourFtr April 03 2014 at 12:52 PM

The Black Mamba
isn't just a Snake.....
it is a 'Territorial' Snake......
If you are in it's territory.........It will seek you out to do You In.......!

Jim YourFtr April 03 2014 at 1:29 PM

That isn't true. You made that up. Now, tell where they're indigenous to and defuse your terrorist attempt.

Hello Joe YourFtr April 03 2014 at 1:31 PM

The snake on this train was a garter snake, harmless to humans.

mclkarim Hello Joe April 03 2014 at 1:49 PM

When I was a kid living in MA we lived across the street from what we called the "woods." Many homes on the other side of the street had little brooks running through their back yards. There were lots of garter snakes, tadpoles, frogs, as well as tons of wild berries growing everywhere. We would look at those snakes, never bothered them and would let them do their thing. It was awesome. I don't know if you can find anything like that anymore in a residential neighborhood.

Flag 0 rate up
obloodyblada April 03 2014 at 1:17 PM

Nice train station, not like the crap we see here in the US.

Hello Joe obloodyblada April 03 2014 at 1:30 PM

Why does everything end up as a slap to America? I invite you to go to many of these foreign countries to see just how nice you have it. I've been to many countries outside the U.S.A. and one of the main complaints by citizens of other countries is how spoiled Americans are as to what they have and can't see.

speedyneutrino83 April 03 2014 at 3:35 PM

A GARTER snake?? ROFL......what a bunch of limp wrist passengers. Somebody should have picked the thing up and got rid of it.

mennis0852 speedyneutrino83 April 03 2014 at 5:30 PM

Would you pick up a snake you knew nothing about? They are common in North America, but not in Europe.

ty mennis0852 April 03 2014 at 6:33 PM

Yes, I have, random insects, arachnids and whatnot too. The best fun is when you later find out they're very poisonous, deadly, etc. Still not up to trying similar in Australia, Philippines and the like yet.

Flag 0 rate up