'Revealed' airline secrets are horrifying

'Revealed' Airline Secrets Are Horrifying
So ... we've got a not-so-awesome airline "secret" to reveal. The "TODAY" show reports pillows and blankets apparently aren't washed between flights. Ew.

They apparently just put another bag around an old blanket and seal it up.

Another "secret" that's a lot less gnarly? Turns out, you can also be upgraded to first class DURING the flight.

'One flight attendant says it helps if you're very nice, pregnant, tall or good looking, or all of the above.'

We should point out - all these claims initially started on Reddit. A user asked airline insiders to spill any secrets they knew. Of course, the airlines haven't confirmed any of these less-than-flattering statements.

The Huffington Post draws attention to another potential dirty secret on the list: there's a chance your tray table has ... poop on it.

'You have more than likely ingested baby poo. I saw more dirty diapers laid out on those trays than food. And those trays, yeah, never saw them cleaned or sanitized once.'

Well, we're definitely going to pack 1,000 sanitizing wipes next time we fly.

Viral Quake gathered some other disturbing tidbits from Reddit users. One warned people NOT to drink the water in the airplane's bathroom.

'It is bad enough to 'wash' your hands in it. We sanitize the water tank at selected maintenance intervals, however parasites build tolerances to these cleaners.'

And The Star points out another revelation from Reddit users - apparently the pilot and co-pilot are actually served different sets of meals, just to be safe.

We wouldn't want them both coming down with food poisoning.

Some of the other secrets? You can actually request the entire can of soda instead of just a cupful. And ... people have a tendency to steal the life jackets. Now that's just rude.

music April 03 2014 at 11:30 AM

I work for a company that is subcontracted to clean planes. The tray tables are cleaned everyday, every blanket that has been removed from the packaging is removed from the plane for cleaning, every bathroom is cleaned and sanitized. People should do their part in making sure their trash is given to the flight attendants so that cleaners actually have time to clean properly. I take pride in cleaning an aircraft to the best of my teams ability. The worst is when people leave their trash all over the seats, seatbacks and the floor. It would be interesting to see the homes of some of the slobs that fly these days.

Marie April 03 2014 at 2:14 PM

The big airline corps could care less about the hygiene of its planes as long as they can employee less workers to pad their own pockets. With that being said I will now be proactive new time I fly.

ibe1grump Marie April 03 2014 at 2:28 PM

Better idea. Don't fly. That'll teach 'em.

Hi Geri Marie April 03 2014 at 3:00 PM

There's no doubt who gets the benefits--CEOs and COOs (Owners) It's would be interesting to know the "real" names of the owners-Whose hands are in everyones pocket, including the employees' in addition to the flying public. -A peculiar business, but more so on Wall Street; it's the same bunch of greedy business owners.

NAOMI April 03 2014 at 2:23 PM

Two days ago my departing flight was late due to the incoming flight just landing. I swear that less than 2 minutes after the pilots deplaned, first clas and premium fliers were already boarding. A quick peak in my compartment with the airline's magazine revealed an empty candy bar wrapper, an old boarding pass (5 days old), and who knows what else. I didn't have the nerve to stick my hand all the way down. Disgusting. I hate putting my head back since they have done away with paper headreasts. I use a piece of my own clothing brought on board especially for this reason. I know they are in business to "serve", but cleaning up the plane should be mandatory, even if it makes you a few minutes later.

skip April 03 2014 at 2:32 PM

Airlines have always been a source of germs and sometimes diseases. What with the recycled air I wouldn't be real worried with the seat back or the seat, just worry about the person sneezing or those coughing and then you breathe it in. As for the pillows and blankets don't use them ever anytime I fly. And the tray tables, I always wipe them down with a sanitizing napkin before putting anything on them. People in general are pigs when it comes to being in public places and they don't care about the next user. Next time you push a shopping cart think about who may have last handled that and if they were sick or not. As for airline food don't trust it either. I usually get a sandwich or something after I have gone past security. Once my wife and I had brought on board a Quizzno's sandwich that was cut in half and about a third of the way through the flight after we got a drink we had our "first class" meal while the rest of the people ate pretzels. So if you're a veteran flier you can come up with solutions that keep you reasonably safe and well fed.

BOB April 03 2014 at 2:34 PM

Id rather flap my arms than fly with idiots

neatair BOB April 03 2014 at 3:27 PM

why you would feel rightg at home

neeg neatair April 03 2014 at 5:09 PM

haha Bob kinda sounds like the village idiot

Flag 0 rate up
rubylightening62 April 03 2014 at 10:27 AM

Gee, thanks for the info, ya'll! I am 70 and this is my first time flying. Maybe I would have been better off enjoying the bliss of ignorance?

cgssnavickas April 03 2014 at 2:43 PM

Ever since the airlines started charging for food, I just bring my own, or I eat before getting on the plane. I don't use their blankets or pillows, either, I just use my coat or jacket as one. At least I know where it's been.

Walter Seltzer cgssnavickas April 03 2014 at 3:39 PM

I remember driving to Manhattan's lower east side to buy corned beef and a pastrami sandwiches for myself and a business associate on a Virgin Atlantic flight from Newark to London. Within an hour after boarding, all anybody could smell throughout the 747 was the odor of the fresh sour pickles that came with the sandwiches. These days, my granddaughter flew from Ft Lauderdale to Islip (NY) on a flight where food was sold. They would not accept cash, and at 14 she had no credit card. Fortunately, the flight attendant put it on her own credit card... and refused to take the cash when my granddaughter tried to pay her back.

donahuepapad123 cgssnavickas April 03 2014 at 3:41 PM

my wife and i have been bringing our own water,snacks,sandwhiches,clean wipes ,for our children and ourselves , for a long time ? and use our bags or coats and swetters for pillows , but if you realy wanted to dig deep about all the disgusting and gross things we come in contact with every day , a lot of people wouldnt leave home ever again , so some things better left unchecked ? just try your best and carry on .

neeg donahuepapad123 April 03 2014 at 5:06 PM

I hate it when a 600 pound tubby waddled down the isle and u can feel the plane go off balance, yup ole fat ass always tries to squeezes into the seat next to me,,,,not sure whats worse,, the ham or shank in my lap.

Flag +1 rate up
Tiho April 03 2014 at 2:59 PM

Just as long as the landing gear locks!!!

hpycmpr155 April 03 2014 at 10:17 AM

Jeeeeezzzz. Airplanes are today's Greyhound buses.
Get over it.
There are germs everywhere.

cammar01 April 03 2014 at 10:16 AM

I have been a flight attendant for 30 years, and these days if we tried to upgrade ANYONE to business or first class, we can be fired. So I dont know what airline was saying that they can randomly upgrade someone because of their looks etc.

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal