'Revealed' airline secrets are horrifying

'Revealed' Airline Secrets Are Horrifying
So ... we've got a not-so-awesome airline "secret" to reveal. The "TODAY" show reports pillows and blankets apparently aren't washed between flights. Ew.

They apparently just put another bag around an old blanket and seal it up.

Another "secret" that's a lot less gnarly? Turns out, you can also be upgraded to first class DURING the flight.

'One flight attendant says it helps if you're very nice, pregnant, tall or good looking, or all of the above.'

We should point out - all these claims initially started on Reddit. A user asked airline insiders to spill any secrets they knew. Of course, the airlines haven't confirmed any of these less-than-flattering statements.

The Huffington Post draws attention to another potential dirty secret on the list: there's a chance your tray table has ... poop on it.

'You have more than likely ingested baby poo. I saw more dirty diapers laid out on those trays than food. And those trays, yeah, never saw them cleaned or sanitized once.'

Well, we're definitely going to pack 1,000 sanitizing wipes next time we fly.

Viral Quake gathered some other disturbing tidbits from Reddit users. One warned people NOT to drink the water in the airplane's bathroom.

'It is bad enough to 'wash' your hands in it. We sanitize the water tank at selected maintenance intervals, however parasites build tolerances to these cleaners.'

And The Star points out another revelation from Reddit users - apparently the pilot and co-pilot are actually served different sets of meals, just to be safe.

We wouldn't want them both coming down with food poisoning.

Some of the other secrets? You can actually request the entire can of soda instead of just a cupful. And ... people have a tendency to steal the life jackets. Now that's just rude.

Bill April 03 2014 at 5:41 AM

SouthWest Airlines has the best drinking water as they use Ozone to flush and sanitize their water holding tanks.

patriot1too Bill April 03 2014 at 6:20 AM

Yes AirTran Airlines also uses the Ozone method of water sanitation. There is no problem. We prefer AirTran Airlines.

Allien April 03 2014 at 7:29 AM

Next time you press the elevator button, think about how many others have pushed it. There's nothing we can do to keep "clean" unless we all turn into Howard Hughes and move to the "clean" desert.

patrick58k Allien April 03 2014 at 7:37 AM

ewwww...cooties,,,yikes...lol

kunder56 April 03 2014 at 8:21 AM

The same is true with Hotel room pillows. Sure they change the covers - but, the oil from many heads is still in the pillow. How often do hotels wash pillows or replace them? How often do they wash blankets and bedspreads?
And doctors say - recuperating from a surgery - dont fly for quite awhile. You dont want all those germs trapped inside a small space.

Valerie kunder56 April 03 2014 at 8:26 AM

You're so right!! I won't even go barefoot anymore in an hotel. As I've gotten older, and once gotten seriously ill, I'm a germ freak now and think about things I never gave a thought to. It's frustrating because now germs, germs, germs, is a constant thought on whatever I touch; anything in hotels, stores, other people, etc. All from dirty a** people making the world a haven for crime and disease ewww

mykecusa@netscap Valerie April 03 2014 at 10:32 AM

Life is tough, and then you die ... so don't worry so much about it.

Flag +1 rate up
hhijena April 03 2014 at 7:43 AM

When I used to fly, I'd take a paper towel and place it over the back of my head rest to prevent my head from touching the seat itself. No one knows what the people before you had in their hair, nor do they ever wipe the head rest to prevent whatever it is may be on it. I also do this in movie theaters that have high back seats. Paper towels so I can throw them out when I land or leave. I have my wife douing it as well. Her choice, by the way.

HELEN April 03 2014 at 8:41 AM

Don't offer me any pillows, blankets, snacks, extra leg room (all for a charge, of course), just get me from point A to point B and LOWER YOUR FARES!

KCarpio HELEN April 03 2014 at 9:07 AM

Lmao I agree!!

mykecusa@netscap HELEN April 03 2014 at 10:28 AM

I think you are in the minority, as I think most people want the lower prices PLUS pillows, blankets, snacks, extra leg room, ....

Emilio Paletta April 03 2014 at 6:27 AM

Emilio Paletta Author copy right 2006

As we sat waiting for our plane to land, I looked over the passengers; trying to determine which if any were terrorists. I'm almost certain they were doing likewise. Since 9/11 we're all a bit edgy! After awhile everyone looked suspicious; including my wife. When convinced they were normal folks like us, I relaxed and began reading an article in the newspaper regarding the 'Anatomy of a recent plot', whereby a Nigerian terrorist placed an explosive in his underwear attempting to become the first of his kind, to perform an in-flight-do-it-yourself-castration. In the event he succeeded to blow-up the plane, while mutilating himself, what good would the promised 72 virgins have done him?

New Airlines Security Screenings
TSA's Latest safety requirements:

As I pondered the consequences of this idiot's actions, an announcement was made that our plane had landed and boarding was about to commence. During the process we were greeted by several flight attendants and the captain__ who seemed a bit under the weather.

Arriving at our assigned seats, I was surprised to find an elderly woman seated in mine. Attempting to be a Good Samaritan I told her to stay put and that I would sit in hers__ which turned out to be a monumental mistake. As luck would have it, two guys the size of Sumo wrestlers sat down on each side, squishing me between; causing me to realize what being a hemorrhoid must feel like.

Trapped and unable to move, I focused on a petite woman struggling to hoist her carry-on, into a crowded compartment.

A macho-type, standing by, offered to assist the damsel in distress. As he did, left standing in the aisle, was a long line of disgruntled passengers waiting to get to their seats. Spotting the action, an attendant fought past the angry mob, relieved the gentleman of the bag and then easily slid it into an empty compartment. Embarrassed macho-man slithered into his seat.

Once everyone was comfortably seated, the cabin door was secured. Almost simultaneously the captain announced, 'due to a landing gear malfunction, there would be a twenty minute delay. The cabin began heating-up, making a perfect scenario for infants onboard to serenade passengers. As the allotted time passed, the captain announced, 'we were cleared for takeoff.' With that, the senior flight attendant began her spiel.

"At Temperamental Airlines she said, 'customer safety is our primary concern. Holding a mock-up of a seat restraint she explained, 'Whenever the seat-belt sign is lit, passengers are required to buckle-up.' During the final hour bathroom privileges will be withheld, all though upon landing, the TSA will provide a change of underwear. Continuing she said, 'once airborne, our in-flight service will begin. Because this is a no-frills flight, peanuts will be served; unshelled of course! Should cabin pressure drop oxygen masks will deploy from overhead. If traveling with a child, place yours on first, then the youngsters. If traveling with more than one, put it on the child you like best. Located beneath your seat, is a flotation device; use it in the event this flight turns into a cruise.

Pointing to a small light, located on top of the unit she said,

'the manufacture designed it that way, making it easier for sharks to find you. The in-flight movie featured today is, 'AIRPLANE,' if you've seen it before, think twice about walking out.’

“Ladies and gentlemen, ‘On behalf of your Captain and crew, thank you for flying "Temperamental. By the way she said, ''Did I mention "Captain Boozer's a recovering alcoholic?’ Pray this will be a dry run!"

www.neversayuncle.com paletta4788@aol.com

jkstray Emilio Paletta April 03 2014 at 6:57 AM

Very funny and closer to the truth than most people realize. Been flying for 60 years and experienced all of the above,but it took a little longer than one flight. Flew almost daily for 7 yrs. and it wasn't the least bit glamorous after the mid 70's .

lbreamer April 03 2014 at 8:41 AM

Been a long while since I've flown... now I wonder if I ever want to fly again! LOL
My philosophy is: just use common sense. Something that's used by thousands is bound to be grimy, dirty and germy. Carry wipes, clean it up somewhat, use hand sanitizer. And why on Earth would you drink the water in the bathroom?! Ewwww. Just use your brain, common sense...

Suzanne April 03 2014 at 7:39 AM

That is old news......Thats why I bring my own little pillow.

rothhammer1 April 03 2014 at 5:51 AM

I could just try to imagine how TSA would react to "1,000 sanitizing wipes" in a carry on bag.

patrick58k rothhammer1 April 03 2014 at 7:57 AM

i hate TSA and idiot Obama!! both huge losers!!! begone demons!!!!!!!!!!1

timinchain April 03 2014 at 7:33 AM

I have picked stuck on matter from air line blankets. I always wear a light sweater and would never pull the balnket around my face. In the bag they make a good pillow.