'Revealed' airline secrets are horrifying

'Revealed' Airline Secrets Are Horrifying
So ... we've got a not-so-awesome airline "secret" to reveal. The "TODAY" show reports pillows and blankets apparently aren't washed between flights. Ew.

They apparently just put another bag around an old blanket and seal it up.

Another "secret" that's a lot less gnarly? Turns out, you can also be upgraded to first class DURING the flight.

'One flight attendant says it helps if you're very nice, pregnant, tall or good looking, or all of the above.'

We should point out - all these claims initially started on Reddit. A user asked airline insiders to spill any secrets they knew. Of course, the airlines haven't confirmed any of these less-than-flattering statements.

The Huffington Post draws attention to another potential dirty secret on the list: there's a chance your tray table has ... poop on it.

'You have more than likely ingested baby poo. I saw more dirty diapers laid out on those trays than food. And those trays, yeah, never saw them cleaned or sanitized once.'

Well, we're definitely going to pack 1,000 sanitizing wipes next time we fly.

Viral Quake gathered some other disturbing tidbits from Reddit users. One warned people NOT to drink the water in the airplane's bathroom.

'It is bad enough to 'wash' your hands in it. We sanitize the water tank at selected maintenance intervals, however parasites build tolerances to these cleaners.'

And The Star points out another revelation from Reddit users - apparently the pilot and co-pilot are actually served different sets of meals, just to be safe.

We wouldn't want them both coming down with food poisoning.

Some of the other secrets? You can actually request the entire can of soda instead of just a cupful. And ... people have a tendency to steal the life jackets. Now that's just rude.

Tiho April 03 2014 at 2:59 PM

Just as long as the landing gear locks!!!

STUD April 03 2014 at 11:22 AM

you're all wrong......I was a f/a for 30 years.......the pilots are offered two different food offerings... they get to choose which one they want - the beef or the chicken; or the beef and the fish, etc. The food comes from the same caterer and prepared by that kitchen the same way the first class or business class meals are prepared.

joseph0958 STUD April 03 2014 at 11:45 AM

Male flight attendant = GAY!!!

groanup49 joseph0958 April 03 2014 at 12:01 PM

OH PLEASE, and your are a homophobe that is making loud noises to keep yourself safe in the closet.

Flag +2 rate up
ericjens joseph0958 April 03 2014 at 12:28 PM

So ...................

Flag 0 rate up
suebsh April 03 2014 at 11:20 AM

As for American Airlines, blankets are cleaned and wrapped in plastic to prove it. Yes, the tray tables are cleaned with a very strong disinfectant every night. Yes I work for them.

mizzb8864 suebsh April 03 2014 at 11:54 AM

Glad to hear that. Have a friend who flies AA frequently.

groanup49 suebsh April 03 2014 at 12:02 PM

yeah but how many times is that plane used between cleanings??????

karenireneevans April 03 2014 at 11:12 AM

The flight deck crew have not been permitted to eat the same meal on a flight since the 1960s or so. THAT is not a secret; and it is not a big news flash.

vafilec_39 April 03 2014 at 11:12 AM

Seems like most businesses have messed with us, like lowering the ounces in cans, bags, boxes, etc., and the airline just hires women that don't clean anything. They have been screwing with us for quite some time. Will never use one of the airlines pillows again either. Think I will just stay in the USA & travel by car.....Whoops....then comes the motels/hotels. They hire the handicapped (which is nice...but) and a broken glass was not cleaned up in the bathroom.....so I cut my foot, but that was back in the 80's. I use Bed & Breakfast places now.

crisvoness vafilec_39 April 03 2014 at 12:01 PM

BUT WHAT? I Used to work with a guy who said he did not like mentally retarded employees working where he ate..the irony was, this guy was butt ugly...yellow teeth that would cause me to lose my appetite if I had to sit across from him. Shame on you for such an unkind remark. It may come back to bite you someday. Life has a way of teaching us lessons that way.

jagreene76 April 03 2014 at 11:07 AM

What? Airline-provided pillows? Blankets? What airline? I haven't seen these on a flight in at least five years.

Kevin April 03 2014 at 11:07 AM

What airline still offers pillows or blankets?
I thought the carriers had done away with these years ago, just for that reason, germ carriers.

shorty April 03 2014 at 11:07 AM

Well, can't speak for today, haven't flown for awhile, but I have seen people come aboard and clean between flights. As for the pilots having different meals..that is only good sense..stuff happens, as for the blankets and pillows, why would they waste time rebagging used stuff, same for the head phones, everyone tosses headphones into a large container brought around by an attendant...get a grip people...

skip April 03 2014 at 2:32 PM

Airlines have always been a source of germs and sometimes diseases. What with the recycled air I wouldn't be real worried with the seat back or the seat, just worry about the person sneezing or those coughing and then you breathe it in. As for the pillows and blankets don't use them ever anytime I fly. And the tray tables, I always wipe them down with a sanitizing napkin before putting anything on them. People in general are pigs when it comes to being in public places and they don't care about the next user. Next time you push a shopping cart think about who may have last handled that and if they were sick or not. As for airline food don't trust it either. I usually get a sandwich or something after I have gone past security. Once my wife and I had brought on board a Quizzno's sandwich that was cut in half and about a third of the way through the flight after we got a drink we had our "first class" meal while the rest of the people ate pretzels. So if you're a veteran flier you can come up with solutions that keep you reasonably safe and well fed.

Gina April 03 2014 at 11:03 AM

Billions of people fly around the world all the time and they are still here to tell about it. Sure it's not as clean as we'd like it but neither is your local grocery store, your local malls or even your own doctors office! Do you really think they wipe down the chairs and door handles EVERY DAY after hundreds of very sick people have come and gone? Get real! You touch what you have to and sanitize your own hands before touching your face or eating. Besides, I'd more worried about the recirulated air in the plane and who's boarding rather then what I'm touching.

iltedesco Gina April 03 2014 at 11:23 AM

We live in the country and have pets. Our house isn't as clean as we'd like, either... Lol