Jeffrey Dahmer's Childhood Home For Sale

Jeffrey Dahmer's Childhood Home For Sale

BATH TWP., Ohio– Sitting on nearly two acres of beautifully-wooded property along West Bath Road with a pond, walking trails and scenic gardens sits a 2,100 square foot home that realtor Richard Lubinski believes is a real treasure.

"Nice open floor plan, granite countertops, Italian appliances. The yard is absolutely fabulous," said Lubinski.

Large picture windows light the spacious living room. A wood-burning fireplace is the centerpiece of a comfortable family room. The cozy bedroom has its own fireplace and from nearly every room of the ranch style home there is a breathtaking view across northern Summit County across the National Park.

The house has a lot to offer, including a history.

"It has a colorful past to say the least. It was actually the childhood home of Jeffrey Dahmer. It's actually the home where he committed his first murder," said Lubinski.

Dahmer moved into the home with his parents when he was 8 years old.

Not long after graduating from Revere High School, he took 18-year-old Steven Mark Hicks to the home where Hicks was killed and dismembered.

Dahmer later moved from the house, ultimately settling in Wisconsin where he killed most of his 17 victims over a time span of 13 years.

Lubinski is not afraid to disclose the history to any of his interested buyers.

"When somebody calls me on the property, before I even get into price, room sizes, anything, I just let them know that up front and half the people are done talking about it at that point and moving on and the other half. They don't care," said Lubinski.

The home was last sold in 2005 to a musician.

It was on the market in 2012 for more than $300,000 but it did not sell.

Lubinski, who was not the realtor at the time, believes the state of the housing market might have had something to do with that.

But he says the market has improved and there is a greater demand for homes now.

The home is back on the market with an asking price of $295,000.

Only serious buyers are being shown the property.

"The house is not a museum. We're not giving public tours," said Lubinski, who knows it remains a curiosity.

He has even recently done a segment with a Japanese television crew that came to Bath Township to see the home.

"The house didn't kill anybody so, it's still a nice house. It's in a fabulous location and you know mid-century modern is certainly a desirable house right now," said Lubinski, who believes that even though some people may be scared away by its history, to others it may make the home worth more.

dwtomczyk April 03 2014 at 8:08 AM

operative word nearly

jaspatore April 03 2014 at 8:37 AM

This probably has a lot less to do with Dahmer and more to do with the fact that the last guy who bought it in 05' paid $250,000.00 and wants to get out without having to right a check to the title company. Comps put it at closer to $260,000.00 than $300,000.00.

Like most realtors/sellers they are overpricing the home and chasing the market down instead of being honest about what real estate sells for per sq ft and pricing it according to that.

Tyler April 03 2014 at 8:39 AM

Any time a home has had people killed in it or the killer was killed the home will have ghost in it for shure.I know this because My home in Va.I was born in, In 1965 is a old 1800s home that had people die in it.and there is Ghost in the old home.My family has seen them.i have not but hear stuff.and lights turn on and off by seeing a chain being pulled by something,so There is no way i would give them 5.00 dollars for it.because People can move in but they will move right back out i would feel.who wouls want to sleep in a house he had.NOT ME.go stay the night,sweet dreams

mhdjl Tyler April 03 2014 at 9:26 AM

In the county where I live, there are a number of homes from the 1700's (and some built centuries later) that are considered haunted. A number of years ago, one of the houses built in the Victorian age was sold to some people who, before closing, found out it was reputed to have ghosts. They sued for their deposit back and the judge awarded it to them. The judge then told that realtor that the history of alleged haunting had to be disclosed to all prospective buyers. Of course, it didn't hurt the ex-buyers' case that one of the owners had written a book about the ghosts that were there; it was used as evidence.

As for the realtor involved in trying to sell this house, it is his duty to inform prospective buyers of the history of the house. Many people do not want to live in a house where someone infamous grew up.

n1bestmom April 03 2014 at 8:39 AM

Anybody ever heard of "Amityville"???? Take the house to the ground. Evil demons once occupied the place. They never leave.

navamike n1bestmom April 03 2014 at 8:49 AM

Good Morning:
I know and understand how you feel. But it's a beautiful house. I've been inside, I was friends with Cromity who lived in it after... 3 floors, huge fowyer, built in pool, boat house. No spooks! But crappy school district. I'm at;navamike@aol.com. Have a nice day...:-D
M ichael R Wolf

parsleylamb April 03 2014 at 8:39 AM

Sorry, but I would have to level the house and rebuild on the beautiful land! Too creepy for me!

daisey2727 April 03 2014 at 1:45 PM

x

dltanner7 April 03 2014 at 10:21 AM

Stephen King contends through several of his horror books that evil can be transferred from humans to objects like houses. It is not as irrational as it sounds. Suspend rational thought for a moment and try and grasp how someone can become evil like Dahmer and possesion becomes a viable argument, especialy considering how completely unpredicatable humans can be. I try not be supertitious, but I don't think I would want to spend one night in that house. If nothing else maybe Hollywood can buy it and use as a backdrop for a really good horror flick.

ChingOW Mango April 03 2014 at 5:03 PM

No, it's true the house didn't kill anyone! However, a lot of states require that you tell prospective buyers if anyone was killed in a home or even if someone died there. A lot of people believe in karma and wouldn't want to be around those bad vibes. I didn't think I fell into that catagory but when thinking about this home I began to think - no I couldn't live there. Everyone wants their home to be bright and happy filled with good times, hopes and dreams. Like the home in CT maybe this should just be torn down - unless a buyer comes along after all these years. Lots to think about. On second thought - maybe if it was located on the ocean I would be making an offer - like I said something to think about!!!!!

nedlam6 April 03 2014 at 2:11 PM

nice house.

invmartyc April 03 2014 at 4:35 PM

People are soooooo stupid! It is a great house an can be bought at a great price, there is no such thing as a "haunted house"!

World Series