Supporters raise over $71K for mom who left kids in car

Supporters Raise More Than $71K for Mom Who Left Kids in Car for Interview

A homeless woman arrested after her desperate attempt to get a job is now receiving support from people all over the country. HLN has the details.

'People have raised nearly $64,000 online for a homeless mom who's charged for leaving her kids in the car while she was trying to get a job.'

According to KTVK, 35-year-old Shanesha Taylor left her two-year-old and six-month-old children in her unlocked car for about half an hour March 20 while she attended a job interview.

Although the windows were slightly cracked, KTVK says temperatures inside the car reached more than 100 degrees.

A woman called police when she heard a child crying in Taylor's car.

According to KPHO, Taylor was then arrested on two felony counts of child abuse and child protective services took custody of her children.

'She was upset. This is a sad situation all around. She said she was homeless, she needed the job.'

The story quickly went viral, eventually inspiring a fundraiser for the single mom of two.

The original goal for the fundraiser on YouCaring.com was to raise $9,000 to help Taylor with legal fees. However, with more than $70,000 in donations now, the funds will be able to help Taylor with much more than that.

A woman who identified herself as Taylor wrote on the fundraiser page Monday saying, 'I am home and safe. I was released early this morning by the grace of god. I appreciate everyone who felt move [sic] enough to help a complete stranger. I LOVE you all.'

The poster says she's already received the first check, and the fundraiser still has 30 days left.

harry April 02 2014 at 6:34 AM

Fid out who the damn father is and put the bastard in jail.

mvnup harry April 02 2014 at 6:42 AM

Jail will just cost tax payers more. Find the Fathers get them a job and garnish their wages to pay child support.

Paul harry April 02 2014 at 6:48 AM

Fathers

msharvie April 02 2014 at 6:25 AM

"there but for the grace of God go I"

Richard April 02 2014 at 6:55 AM

Okay, I get it. Homeless with kids, needs a job, has an interview, but leaving kids alone in a car at that age ? What? We couldn't work out something with say, a church, or a shelter, to help for a few hours? Really?

fazev764 April 02 2014 at 7:01 AM

This is a terrible situation all around. Unfortunately she left very small children in a car alone. Yes the windows were cracked thank goodness this wasn't the middle of summer where the inside temperatures can reach upwards 150 degrees in a relatively short period of time. I'm glad the children are safe. Yes she was in a desperate situation if she was truly homeless and needing a job. I wonder though if there wasn't one person she could of trusted to watch the children for a short period of time while going to the interview. I hope that with the money raised that it will help her to get set up with a home if she needs one because of the conflicting statement of ""being homeless"" and ""I'm home and safe" that they are careful of handing the money over till that situation is determined to the validity of her statement. Because if she has a home maybe the money can be used to pay the lawyer and the rest into a fund for college for those children or perhaps start some kind of fund to help other women in horrible circumstances. Secondly I hope that once her crime of child neglect and endangerment is adjudicated that the judge doesn't throw the proverbial book at her. Instead orders some kind of community service. Why? So she can ultimately work and take care of her children. But if the findings are contrary to what we've all been lead to believe on the situation. Why? Because I have a tendency to not be as nice about situations dealing with child abuse. Example the case of the so called parents in Texas who have abused and locked up they're 5 year old son in a closet. I'd throw the proverbial book at them, lock them up and throw waxy the key!

usapaydirt fazev764 April 02 2014 at 7:30 AM

All that's out the window now, by getting involved in a situation that was none of her business, mom likely won't be able to fend for her children through normal means, now that she's a felon.

annmcsorley usapaydirt April 02 2014 at 8:09 AM

IF SHE DIDN'T REPORT HER, THE CHILDREN MIGHT BE DEAD, WOULD YOU OF LIKED THAT?

Flag 0 rate up
Cabin Hill Gifts April 02 2014 at 6:01 AM

I took my 4 year old and his friend right into the interview with me one time. But, we are talking a very small town and a family owned business were everyone knows everyone and it was not a surprise to anyone for me to have kids tagging along. I got the job. I don't know what I would have done in a more professional job interview, maybe asked a neighbor, friend or family member to sit with them at my home for a little while till I got back. I don't think I would have left them sitting in the car, just too many bad things going on anymore. I feel sad for the lady and the poor choice she made at the time. I commend her for looking outside of state funding to make the choice to improve life for her and her children. Hopefully, she will consult a financial advisor on how best to invest the funding for her children's education. (-:

Steve's Stuff April 02 2014 at 6:58 AM

WHAT?????? Not my DIME!!!!!

Paul April 02 2014 at 6:49 AM

She left babies in a car.

royjones2 April 02 2014 at 7:47 AM

''I am home and safe.' Strange comment from a homeless woman.

usapaydirt royjones2 April 02 2014 at 8:06 AM

Home is where you hang your hat. She just got her first check , so do the math .....

Monica@GFP April 02 2014 at 6:35 AM

I wish all the best for this woman and her children.

BOB April 02 2014 at 7:22 AM

Its sure nice how some people commenting ( without all the facts ) have ohhh so much compasion . I look and see nothing but 2 extremes in comments , and it answers the question whats wrong with society and zero tolerance policies . I guess we washed the gray areas right out of life ...