Supporters raise over $71K for mom who left kids in car

Supporters Raise More Than $71K for Mom Who Left Kids in Car for Interview

A homeless woman arrested after her desperate attempt to get a job is now receiving support from people all over the country. HLN has the details.

'People have raised nearly $64,000 online for a homeless mom who's charged for leaving her kids in the car while she was trying to get a job.'

According to KTVK, 35-year-old Shanesha Taylor left her two-year-old and six-month-old children in her unlocked car for about half an hour March 20 while she attended a job interview.

Although the windows were slightly cracked, KTVK says temperatures inside the car reached more than 100 degrees.

A woman called police when she heard a child crying in Taylor's car.

According to KPHO, Taylor was then arrested on two felony counts of child abuse and child protective services took custody of her children.

'She was upset. This is a sad situation all around. She said she was homeless, she needed the job.'

The story quickly went viral, eventually inspiring a fundraiser for the single mom of two.

The original goal for the fundraiser on YouCaring.com was to raise $9,000 to help Taylor with legal fees. However, with more than $70,000 in donations now, the funds will be able to help Taylor with much more than that.

A woman who identified herself as Taylor wrote on the fundraiser page Monday saying, 'I am home and safe. I was released early this morning by the grace of god. I appreciate everyone who felt move [sic] enough to help a complete stranger. I LOVE you all.'

The poster says she's already received the first check, and the fundraiser still has 30 days left.

Gina April 02 2014 at 10:39 AM

I hope she uses the money to better her life and the lives of her children. It's nice to see so many people willing to help someone who obviously needs help but for crying out loud, NEVER LEAVE YOUR KIDS IN A CAR! Not only were they left in the car but it was UNLOCKED. Any crazy could have stolen the kids. If she was able to reply on a fundraiser page that she's "Home and safe", then where is "Home" and was she using a computer, tablet or phone to reply? That doesn't sound homeless to me.

iluvdabucs April 02 2014 at 9:02 PM

The complete lack of moral empathy from so many is truly heartbreaking. What is this world coming to?

patrickliveshere April 02 2014 at 8:58 PM

I was a locksmith for over 20 years and received dozens of cases each year from mothers that have locked kids in the car and didn't want the cops called. I would immediately call the police and notify them I was in route and to send an officer if the situation turns more serious. Sadly, by the time a few minutes had passed and I am squalling rubber into a parking lot to find dead and dying kids! [Atlanta, GA] In those circumstances I would just jump from my van and immediately bust a window and start dragging kids out. Sometimes the cops would get their before I arrived. There is NO excuse for leaving your kids in a locked car for ANY reason!!

Karen April 02 2014 at 9:58 AM

Single mothers make the best choice they know how to provide for their children, sometimes under distressed circumstances. Unfortunately, some men will father children and leave, walking away from care taking and financial support. Women are often left solely responsible with little choices. If her decision is wrong to leave the children alone, she did it with their best interest. It's sad.

joelp77440 Karen April 02 2014 at 10:02 AM

The road to Hell is paved in good intentions. Risking two children's lives out ways any benfit she was trying to accomplish for them.

kupiec8 April 02 2014 at 7:31 PM

The people who donated are the same ones that complain they are one paycheck away from being homeless, too ------------------ don't waste your money on her.... put it away for that rainy day ...... this teaches her nothing at all .......... except people are gullible.

CWW 1971 April 02 2014 at 8:39 AM

What is wrong with people ? All to often you hear of them leaving children in hot cars. She could have gotten someone to go with her. I'm sure she has friends. If she was homeless, where did they sleep ?
And where did she get money to drive around looking for work. My wife and me raised three kids, when we went out shopping they either went in with us, or one of us stayed in the car with them. It's
just like people taken in by scams, when will they ever learn. If it sounds to good to be true, you can bet your lif it is.

DMaster CWW 1971 April 02 2014 at 8:55 AM

Omg she sleeps somewhere she can't be homeless! Wait a minute, come to think of it, everyone sleeps! Homelessness is a lie! There is no such thing! Honestly, that has to be the single dumbest sentence I've seen posted here. But I do agree with your second point. If she can afford $10 to put in the gas tank to do something like drive around looking for work, surely she can afford $750 a month for rent.

And it's great to know you and your wife have. But in case you missed it, thus woman doesn't. And if you never noticed it before, everyone seems to have friends when everything is going well. It's when things get tough that everyone backs out on you.

patmcurran DMaster April 02 2014 at 9:13 AM

So you think $10 and $750 are the same and as easy to get.? Really? My church will give someone a few dollars for gas and so will the food bank my wife volunteers at. Not much or a little. Tell me how you dig up $750 for rent with no job. If this is 50% of someone's income that would be $1500 a month, don't forget gas, heat, water electricity. In order to do that one needs to take home almost $400 a week. In order to do that one would need to work 40 hours at around $12 an hour.

Flag +1 rate up
patmcurran CWW 1971 April 02 2014 at 9:07 AM

So the police were in on the scam by arresting her? Stupid!

wongtpa April 02 2014 at 7:37 PM

Another example of profiting from bad conduct!

jodyaflynn April 02 2014 at 7:41 PM

When she goes to her court date judge is going to tell her what she did was foolish and going to say nice of the our pour of help but doesn't change fact she could have killed the kids, she will be punished. I feel sorry for her, but out right moronic to leave unlocked windows cracked both under two! They could have been kidnapped or brutally raped and murdered.

rem119 April 02 2014 at 8:40 AM

OK. Did a reporter or a child welfare investigator verify this "job Interview"?

patmcurran rem119 April 02 2014 at 9:06 AM

No but I am sure Fox Noise will.

fay38 April 02 2014 at 8:40 AM

I love stories like this because they point out the failures of government agencies and the power of private people active in the lives of their fellow humans. That is how it should be - person to person, not government to goodness knows how many extra pockets before getting a nickel in the needy pocket.

World Series