Starbucks apologizes for 'satanic' symbols in coffee cups

Starbucks' Satanic Latte Art

Starbucks is apologizing to a Louisiana woman after she received two cups of coffee with satanic symbols drawn into the foam. On Sunday, Megan Pinion posted a picture onto Starbucks' Facebook page, displaying her coffees with a "666" and a pentagram drawn with caramel.

She wrote, "I am in no way judging his beliefs or dis-meriting his beautiful artwork, I am however judging his lack of professionalism and respect for others." Pinion goes on to explain that she is a teacher and a practicing Catholic, but she would lose her job if she pushed those beliefs onto her students.

Since posting the picture, it has been liked and shared more than 18,000 times, prompting Starbucks to respond.

Coffee art that's a lot less controversial:

In a formal statement to The Advertiser, a Starbucks social media team spokesperson said, "We reached out to her through social media and apologized ... This obviously is not the type of experience we want to provide any of our customers, and is not representative of the customer service our partners provide to millions of customers every day."

It's unknown if the Starbucks barista has been identified or kept his job.

This isn't the first time Starbucks has been accused of being satanic. There have been rumors for years saying that Starbucks' logo has satanic ties. In truth, they are named after a nautical character, and the original logo was based on a 16th century Nordic wood cutout of a siren.

lwoody April 02 2014 at 10:50 AM

I often frequent four-bucks, I mean Starbucks, and have never encountered such a thing. Then again, I stopped buying the crafted drinks and stick to plain old coffee. Did someone below really say it's against God's wishes for someone to drink coffee and smoke? Dear Lord, have mercy on me!

Marilyn April 02 2014 at 1:23 PM

It's interesting that AOL used the "Dumb Starbucks" coffee cup to introduce this article. A Freudian slip of some kind or a simple mistake??

lawrencefishberg April 02 2014 at 10:02 AM

It does not rot your soul.... it rots your system....drink up!!!!!!

itzvern April 02 2014 at 1:35 PM

You mean to tell me she did not see these images through the clear lid before she paid? I hardly ever drink that overpriced hipster crap, but I have never seen clear covers on starbucks coffee before. Matter of fact I have never seen clear lids on any coffee before. I could be wrong but aren't the clear lids for soft drinks? She apparently had the 2 coffees long enough to pull the stupid cardboard off of the cups, and why didn't she go to the manager instead of directly to facebook? It looks to me she put those clear covers on.

Mr. Gonzo itzvern April 02 2014 at 2:24 PM

If I am not mistaken at Starbucks you pay before you get your drink just like at Mcdonalds and Burger King. And the clear lids are for iced or cold beverages (ii: iced or blended coffees).

itzvern Mr. Gonzo April 02 2014 at 3:17 PM

Either way, if it had a clear lid, she would have seen the alleged symbols at the register and did not have to accept her coffee. I still think its staged. Like I said I don't drink that overpriced hipster crap so I wouldn't know or care if you pay first or not.

Flag 0 rate up
Roberta April 02 2014 at 2:43 PM

lol!

IBruzEZ April 02 2014 at 9:32 AM

The star is the same star on our flag... not just a "pentigram". However the 666 is very specific.

thorrsman IBruzEZ April 02 2014 at 9:41 AM

The 'star' in conjunction with the 666 indicates that it is supposed to be the inverted pentagram.

Kristen April 02 2014 at 9:21 AM

Could just be a star and squiggles...

Dan April 02 2014 at 10:56 AM

The 666 could've actually been 999, Scotland Yard's version of USA's 911. ☺

David S. April 02 2014 at 3:11 PM

Yeah, how do we know she didn't do it herself? Some people will do anything for their 15 minutes......that said, even it was Starbucks, she has way too much time on her hands to worry about such baloney. ..

veritasjw April 02 2014 at 3:14 PM

Oh no, someone at Starbucks is a heavy metal fan! Alert the press and hyperventilate!