Pizza delivery guy gets awesome surprise

Delivery Man Gets Tip Next Day
Usually it's the pizza delivery guys doing the delivering, but one Papa John's worker in Oregon got a very special delivery himself.

25-year-old Andrew Shaffer told Good Morning America he was kind of disappointed after he delivered a pizza to a couple one evening. They only gave him $23 for a $22.67 pizza - not much of a tip.

But the next day, that disappointment turned into utter surprise.

He told 'GMA' he walked into work and his boss wanted to talk to him. At first, Andrew feared he had done something wrong, though he couldn't remember being rude in the slightest. Then, he was handed a handmade 'Thank You' note with $20 inside. It was from the couple who had failed to tip him the night before.

It read, "We would like to apologize for our impaired math skills and thank you for the work you do. We appreciate it immensely."

This isn't the first generous tip that has made the news. Last year,a woman paid for a waitress' dream vacation to Italy by leaving a $1,000 tip on a $60 tab, and few bartenders in Utah got a $5,000 tip on a bill that was barely more than $200.

Annette April 02 2014 at 7:00 PM

Why don't we ever think of tipping the hard working people that work in the fast food business. I have done it several times and they are so greatful

auntiem30sure April 02 2014 at 9:40 AM

Myself and a friend were working an Oktoberfest one of our many tables walked out on a check that was $200.00. We were dreading the next day. not sure how it was going to be handled. We walked in and the boss came over and handed us each $40.00. The couples all assumed the others had paid the check. When they realized no one had they came back at 1 am just after we had gone home to pay it and leave us a tip...

steve cutie auntiem30sure April 02 2014 at 9:56 AM

so sweet tears in my eyes..

Kat April 02 2014 at 9:41 AM

Oh my goodness.. You people are morons. He got his tip and doesn't feel jilted.. and you dumb asses have to berate and turn it into something it is not.. I bet you don't tip either.. and for those that claim you do something to someones food "the next time".. you're a vial and disgusting excuse for a human being. Just remember, what goes around comes around you nasty pigs!

steve cutie Kat April 02 2014 at 9:55 AM

I dont tip on delivery..let the company he works for give him 15% of the bill.

discc April 02 2014 at 9:42 AM

- Fair Labor Standards Act Advisor

What is the minimum wage for workers who receive tips?

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires payment of at least the federal minimum wage to covered, nonexempt employees. An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 an hour in direct wages if that amount plus the tips received equals at least the federal minimum wage, the employee retains all tips and the employee customarily and regularly receives more than $30 a month in tips. If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference. I always tip but some folks are getting ripped off by their employers if they are not making at least min wage.

starfield1 discc April 02 2014 at 10:04 AM

Yes this is the law as stated now here is how it really is...you work the lunch shift and it is slow and you don't get good tips...you work the dinner shift and several couples park themselves at your table after dinner when you could have had a table turnover and talk for awhile. You don't make minimum wage...Yeah go complain to management and you will get FIRED. Yeah go prove that is WHY you were teminated. Mgmt says "oh business was slow" or "didn't need that many waitresses"

ksandrasff April 02 2014 at 9:44 AM

You never can tell what will happen next, most people are kind.

steve cutie ksandrasff April 02 2014 at 9:53 AM

Does tipping make you more kind?

lbvlpk1753 steve cutie April 02 2014 at 10:14 AM

It makes you considerate and Kind if you give more tips than what it would have cost you to go there and get food yourself..including how you value your time.

If you think that spending your time driving to the shop/store/restaurant to buy/get food or anything else isn't worth it than you have to pay somebody to do it: that is If you would make much more $$ during that time then you would have to pay somebody to do it.

Everybody has their bills to pay and I do not think that anybody will tell you that their time is worthless: maybe they'd rather be with their families or just relax, make some money during that time instead of delivering food to somebody and spending money on gas, pay for car insurance, car maintenance, ets...
Whoever orders any kind of delivery has to consider all the facts and ask yourselves why not just get off your couches, get out and get food without ordering in if you are not planning on paying for somebody else's time/expense.

Flag 0 rate up
StylzByLois steve cutie April 02 2014 at 10:15 AM

It makes you human.

Flag +1 rate up
edinowns April 02 2014 at 9:51 AM

This was a kind gesture for the people to have an afterthought and provide a tip. I don't usually post things on the internet; however, I find the replies regarding blacks not tipping to be very offensive and also wrong. I am a human being of color and always tip. This is done at all eating facilities such as Pizza places, Tim Horton's, McDonald's, Taco Bell, White Castle, other restaurants, car washes and other service related places. When I tip at fast food places I ask the person taking it to share with co-workers who directly assisted with my order. I am surprised at the number of employees who are shocked to receive a tip and often they may comment they are not allowed to accept it but express their appreciation. I don't have much, but when I recognize others, I get a reward from their happiness as well as the feeling I get from helping someone out! A great shout out to "every" employee or business owner who provides service without an attitude!!!!!

whisdsngr edinowns April 02 2014 at 10:21 AM

I do not believe it has anything to do with color but rather class. If you actually value someone's efforts in the proper industry you tip. Usually you are taught that by your parents. My sister used to be a carriage driver and most people were good about tipping though some didn't tip at all and it didn't matter on color or financial station. It was true that a greater percentage of the Afr, Am. didn't but we believe that is because they are told by media and politicians that they are supposed to be rude, ignorant, and hostile because white people suck. Now don't misunderstand me I am Native American (Grandfather was full Ojibwa) and he and my mother faced discrimination but they didn't let them change them. Either you are genuinely considerate of other people and grateful or your not. That comes mostly from upbringing and I have noticed that downright rudeness is getting to be the "cool" way to go amongst youngsters. As a Christian mother I teach my kids to mind there p's and q's and my 7 yr old son holds the door open like a gentleman. I have also told him that if a woman has a problem with it that just shows her stupidity and insecurity. I also teach the Golden Rule so they know better than to litter or join in on the trend of "roasting" fellow bus riders. They know they have the knowledge and ok to defend themselves or someone else in trouble if the grownups won't. So congrats to the pizza guy and the tipper for being a good example but am sorry consideration is so now rare that it is in the news. Keep up the great attitude edinowns that alone will carry you far !

djparker April 02 2014 at 9:51 AM

I had a buddy, with emphasis on "had", that was rude to Service Employees, and cheap on top of it all. He would "snap at" waitresses and send his food back to the kitchen for a "redo". No telling how many "boogers" he ate. He was also a lousy tipper, if at all. I had another buddy (he "passed") who was really generous with Service People, and always respectful. I learned a bunch from both of them. You can be nice to people who don't deserve it, but it is unforgiveable to be nasty to people who deserve being treated good.

DAVID djparker April 02 2014 at 10:00 AM

I agree

StylzByLois djparker April 02 2014 at 10:11 AM

I have a very snobbish friend like this too! I DREAD going out to dinner with him! He's fine in all other situations, so I don't 'get' what his issue is with people in the food industry! (He's extremely successful and very wealthy and his attitude of superiority is embarrassing!) Actually, I guess we're friends by association, since he's a friend of my husband's!

tonyguer3 April 02 2014 at 10:34 AM

the apology for the error, the delicate hand made note is the most valuable treasure than the money itself.

Baby Cakes April 02 2014 at 9:57 AM

There are still good people in this world.

Lori April 02 2014 at 3:19 PM

The server has to pay taxes for all tips!!!! Yes the government gets their share. So tip your server, kindness never hurt anyone.

Cathy Lori April 02 2014 at 3:36 PM

I believe in most states there is a percentage added onto the server's till at the end of their shift for tips. So they get taxed for tips regardless if they get them or not. IF you are raised with manners and consideration for people who serve you, you give them gifts. A tip used to be considered a gift/gratuity to show your gratitude for good service. Since most polite people who were raised the right way usually tip the Government decided they needed their cut of the gift. So now, it's not a gift, it's part of a servers wages. Go Figure..........