Pizza delivery guy gets awesome surprise

Delivery Man Gets Tip Next Day
Usually it's the pizza delivery guys doing the delivering, but one Papa John's worker in Oregon got a very special delivery himself.

25-year-old Andrew Shaffer told Good Morning America he was kind of disappointed after he delivered a pizza to a couple one evening. They only gave him $23 for a $22.67 pizza - not much of a tip.

But the next day, that disappointment turned into utter surprise.

He told 'GMA' he walked into work and his boss wanted to talk to him. At first, Andrew feared he had done something wrong, though he couldn't remember being rude in the slightest. Then, he was handed a handmade 'Thank You' note with $20 inside. It was from the couple who had failed to tip him the night before.

It read, "We would like to apologize for our impaired math skills and thank you for the work you do. We appreciate it immensely."

This isn't the first generous tip that has made the news. Last year,a woman paid for a waitress' dream vacation to Italy by leaving a $1,000 tip on a $60 tab, and few bartenders in Utah got a $5,000 tip on a bill that was barely more than $200.

Lori April 02 2014 at 3:19 PM

The server has to pay taxes for all tips!!!! Yes the government gets their share. So tip your server, kindness never hurt anyone.

Cathy Lori April 02 2014 at 3:36 PM

I believe in most states there is a percentage added onto the server's till at the end of their shift for tips. So they get taxed for tips regardless if they get them or not. IF you are raised with manners and consideration for people who serve you, you give them gifts. A tip used to be considered a gift/gratuity to show your gratitude for good service. Since most polite people who were raised the right way usually tip the Government decided they needed their cut of the gift. So now, it's not a gift, it's part of a servers wages. Go Figure..........

joan April 02 2014 at 10:06 AM

I read this because it is a "feel good" story. I can't believe all of the nasty comments.

Teresita April 02 2014 at 8:50 AM

What a nice gesture. There should be more people like that in this world. May God bless them.

midlifeman April 02 2014 at 8:50 AM

Ladies and Gentlemen...........meet dumsterdog80. Idiot of the day.

Julia April 02 2014 at 6:39 PM

The folks who have delivery jobs, wait tables, or tend bar work very hard for very little. They have to earn a living off of their tips. It is great fun to "sport tip" as my husband and I call it. We make sure that when we go out to eat we take enough cash that will be at least 100% of what our bill will be. We remember what it was like when we waited or bussed tables to pay the bills. My daughter waited tables through college and she hated working Sundays because "The Church people only tip a dollar on a hudred dollar check and think they are doing you a favor." I know that my tip can be the difference between someone being able to pay their rent or not and if they've served us well, they get tipped well.

vaygollybum1 Julia April 02 2014 at 8:02 PM

I disliked the after church crowd too. They would leave a dollar, MAYBE, and leave a flyer...."a tip for you" "Have you been saved". Sometimes it was made to look like money on the front!

JC April 02 2014 at 6:50 PM

Great story. People sometimes underestimate the good in the world.

brut370168 April 02 2014 at 6:55 PM

There's a heck'uva lot of bad in the world, but stories like this renew our faith in humanity. I love thos "making a difference" stories at the end of NBC's nightly news segment. Sometime they make your day a lot brighter

all5740 April 02 2014 at 8:34 AM

let's face it, giving a generous tip makes both parties feel good. nobody is going to retire wealthy because of tips but only help their families live a little happier. GREAT TO ALL GENEROUS PEOPLE

jtdancernh all5740 April 02 2014 at 8:58 AM

THANK YOU for taking that approach! It was especially nice to see your comment right below that of dumpsterdog80, who took the exact opposite approach. I'll bet on the occasions where you're a repeat customer for a particular server or bartender, you probably get good service the first time and AWESOME service the second time.

Dumpster dog, on the other hand probably gets good service the first time, then complains to management when the server he stiffed last time is completely indifferent to him (or her) the second time.

I know when I worked as a server, I remebered those who tipped well and those who stiffed me, and those tipped well got the VIP treatment next time I waited on them, while those who stiffed me got exactly the level of service they paid for if they had the nerve enough to show up at one of my tables a second time.

The cheapa$$es rarely darkened my door a third time--at least the smart ones didn't, because it only got worse from there if they did.

Baby Cakes April 02 2014 at 8:32 AM

awww,that's cute.

Annette April 02 2014 at 7:00 PM

Why don't we ever think of tipping the hard working people that work in the fast food business. I have done it several times and they are so greatful

World Series