Man fired after note to boss goes viral

Man Fired After Note to Boss Goes Viral
A man in Michigan says he wasn't surprised when a simple note to his manager cost him his job, but he never expected it to go viral.

Now, he's embracing his 15 minutes of fame in hopes of finding a new job.

It was the note seen around the world. A West Michigan gas station worker leaves a note, locks the door, and walks off the job saying his manager never came to replace him.

employee

The author was Joe Blumm. He said it was meant to be a simple note to his manager just letting her know that he was done waiting for her to show up. He never expected that note to create such a buzz but he's not surprised that it cost him his job.

Blumm said he spoke with the owner on Friday and was informed that he no longer works at the gas station.

Blumm said his note went viral so quick his head started spinning, "I noticed it was in the top five of their (reddit.com) hot list and I started freaking out a little."

note

"I know I struck a chord with a lot of disgruntled low paid employees who get the short end of the stick," he said.

And now that he's looking for a new job he said, "Hopefully with all the publicity that could be a reality. I would love to have a different job, something a little bit higher paying I would hope."

He said what happened Thursday morning had been building for a while. He asked his boss to be taken off third shift and after working overnight and then waiting for his manager to relieve him he reached his breaking point when she never showed up.

"I had it," Blumm said. "I had enough of that unprofessional atmosphere, having to deal with that tardiness and have it come down on me."

He posted the note, locked up and went home. We spoke with his manager on Thursday who admits she was late that day but argues that he never called her or anyone else at the gas station. He just walked off the job. A move he thought might end up with him losing his job.

"I don't wish them I'll hope that they can make things work out," he said. "I just want them to improve themselves."

Read more: http://fox17online.com/2014/03/28/bp-employee-explains-why-he-left-note-that-got-him-fired/#ixzz2xXtgNNrw

sgenone April 01 2014 at 8:52 AM

If you have ever work the graveyard shift even at a higher paying job by the end of the shift you can make mistakes. I hope the manager has to pick up his shift and realize just what it does to your mind and body. Plus the fact that you are always concerned for your safety as not everyone who comes out in the early morning hours is an upstanding citizen.

donleygroup March 31 2014 at 10:12 PM

Sorry but it was on the manager to call him that she was going to be late not the other way around. Hopefully, the manager will get some sort of talking to from the owner because due to her negligence, they lost a good employee. I hope he finds a better paying job soon.

chode_mcblob donleygroup March 31 2014 at 11:04 PM

I totally agree.... You CANNOT expect your employees/subordinates to be responsible about attendance if you aren't.

e08a13 March 31 2014 at 9:36 PM

Some people are always late without any guilt. If she continually did this to the employee, why does she still have a job ? What is wrong with her boss ? She will do the same thing to the next employee.
Just because a person takes a low paying job, or any job available, why do they need to be ridiculed ? It's not like the job requires a suit and tie. Nobody won here.

hmenglish1 March 31 2014 at 9:15 PM

the wrong one was fired jmo.

shannonmoon March 31 2014 at 9:05 PM

i had a boss like that. i was supposed to be off at 6 and to my 2nd job at 7. he was NEVER on time, i ended up getting fired from job #2. what an ass.

chip March 31 2014 at 8:53 PM

typical boss!She does not have a phone?Employees have commitments and lives.I bet if she had at least called he would have stayed.

OSAN711 March 31 2014 at 12:25 PM

If she is a manager she should lead by example..............and its very apparent that she does not have leadership skills ...........its just going to happen again to the next employee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cgait60698 March 31 2014 at 12:28 PM

probably not the first time this happened and if this place is like all others the "Manager" probably isn't much older than the employee. He was probably making minimum wage and didn't get paid for the time he had to work when manager was late. Also these "managers" aren't paid that much either. Place I worked several years ago, Manager only made fifty cents an hour more than the other employees.

rstrickland March 31 2014 at 8:38 PM

The manager in this situation is WRONG and you blame the employee? That is what is wrong with the US today. The politicians are wrong and citizens have to pay. What's up with that?

fretwerk March 31 2014 at 8:33 PM

Is huff Po to afraid to put the Duck dick story up????