Man fired after note to boss goes viral

Man Fired After Note to Boss Goes Viral
A man in Michigan says he wasn't surprised when a simple note to his manager cost him his job, but he never expected it to go viral.

Now, he's embracing his 15 minutes of fame in hopes of finding a new job.

It was the note seen around the world. A West Michigan gas station worker leaves a note, locks the door, and walks off the job saying his manager never came to replace him.

employee

The author was Joe Blumm. He said it was meant to be a simple note to his manager just letting her know that he was done waiting for her to show up. He never expected that note to create such a buzz but he's not surprised that it cost him his job.

Blumm said he spoke with the owner on Friday and was informed that he no longer works at the gas station.

Blumm said his note went viral so quick his head started spinning, "I noticed it was in the top five of their (reddit.com) hot list and I started freaking out a little."

note

"I know I struck a chord with a lot of disgruntled low paid employees who get the short end of the stick," he said.

And now that he's looking for a new job he said, "Hopefully with all the publicity that could be a reality. I would love to have a different job, something a little bit higher paying I would hope."

He said what happened Thursday morning had been building for a while. He asked his boss to be taken off third shift and after working overnight and then waiting for his manager to relieve him he reached his breaking point when she never showed up.

"I had it," Blumm said. "I had enough of that unprofessional atmosphere, having to deal with that tardiness and have it come down on me."

He posted the note, locked up and went home. We spoke with his manager on Thursday who admits she was late that day but argues that he never called her or anyone else at the gas station. He just walked off the job. A move he thought might end up with him losing his job.

"I don't wish them I'll hope that they can make things work out," he said. "I just want them to improve themselves."

Read more: http://fox17online.com/2014/03/28/bp-employee-explains-why-he-left-note-that-got-him-fired/#ixzz2xXtgNNrw

ROBIN March 31 2014 at 12:57 PM

Why in the world did that manager expect the employee to call her and find out where she was? She's the manager and presumably knew that the employee's shift was over or at least knew when she was supposed to start work. Not his responsibility at all. I'm surprised he waited an hour. I don't know many people who would do that. I certainly wouldn't.

Mitzi ROBIN March 31 2014 at 1:40 PM

another thing....When I was a manager my 3rd shift employee got off at 7. So I would be there by 5 to be able to do the paperwork, count cigs, etc. So that means more than likely she was much later than an hour.

pj9157 March 31 2014 at 11:15 AM

The employees do not work for bp. They are independent contractors. They follow their own rules. I worked at a gas station: no breaks, no lunch, stand entire shift, no bathroom. I got fired for locking the store to go to the bathroom and was told I broke "company rules." Thats is what he did. He broke"company rules - the contract manager rules.

Bill Jochimsen March 31 2014 at 12:08 PM

I'm sure it felt good writing this at the time he was writing it but he has to realize that there are consequences for every action one takes.

sdowns1470 March 31 2014 at 10:56 AM

I would like to do that with some of my coworkers, only I would never humiliate them like this guy did his boss. There are people where I work that never show up on time and it really annoys me to no end. I was raised to be on time and if I was going to be late or if I was too sick to work, call to let the supervisor/manager know.

There is no reason for a supervisor/manager to be an hour plus late for work everyday which is what this woman must have did. I am a cashier and some of my coworkers show up more than five minutes late after their scheduled time all the time. They do not hesitate to write you up if you did something you had no idea was wrong.

One time I asked this man for his ID because he was buying tobacco. He was in uniform but I did ask and said nicely "sir, may I see your ID since you are buying tobacco." He went ballistic and told me you have to be 21 to go to officer candidate school and a bunch of hooey from this idiot. He demanded to see a manager/supervisor so I called and in the end I was the bad guy.

My boss told me in a stern tone of voice "what was I thinking!?" I told her I always check ID because even though they are old enough, you must verify. She singled out young dudes such as airmen, up to about E4 or so and officers just joining the service such as O1/O2/ and people out of uniform.

To me if you are going to buy tobacco show your ID or you will be shown the door. This guy would have been in for a rude awakening if he was at a Wal-Mart. Kroger, etc they would never put up with that, they would have called security. I am not going to be fired because of some self righteous idiot.

Peggy Smith sdowns1470 March 31 2014 at 11:14 AM

Your boss i an idiot. Anyone can wear a uniform for devious purposes.. The customer was an idiot too. I see him to be a future fragging candidate if he is truly in OCS and you do not have to be 21.

Janna White Peggy Smith March 31 2014 at 11:47 AM

Exactly! I mean you can be in ROTC in high school and THEY wear uniforms too! And some of them look a lot older than 16 or 17, etc!

Flag 0 rate up
orion15stars sdowns1470 March 31 2014 at 12:17 PM

She did not mind humiliating and disrespecting one of those actually keeping businesses in business. If management had to do the work required, businesses would immediately begin to fold.

bp17200etal March 31 2014 at 1:15 PM

There are many problems at this store. The clerk must have had an emergency phone number to call someone. The manager should have called someone when she realized she was going to be late. The owner putting a most likely minimum wage person in a situation like that expecting him to just forget about the rest of his life to keep the store open.
The owner should learn form this. If he or she wants to prevent this in the future have procedures in place with backup. Respect employees and if you want them to be more responsible pay them accordingly.

Me March 31 2014 at 12:08 PM

I have questions. Was the manager habitually late? Was this the first time she was late? Did she take advantage of him? Was he disrespectful to her? There is more to this story than is reported.

Michele Me March 31 2014 at 12:50 PM

I believe that she had a habit of being late.....if you read the article it certainly sounded like this wasn't the first time.

clearthecount March 31 2014 at 11:38 AM

Mandatory overtime is a way of life in many jobs.

catwilwin1 March 31 2014 at 10:59 AM

I had a boss like this. I was not working a minimum wage job. I left the company too.
I say let this company fire all its staff and just let the mananger run the station. See how that works out for the station.

fmasone March 31 2014 at 11:05 AM

Have respect both off you. the boss and the employee.

kwhodges fmasone March 31 2014 at 11:30 AM

Agreed. But it's not just respect, but responsibility. The manager is the one that should have called to say she would be late. The employee shouldn't have to go tracking her down to find out if she's coming in to work and when.

jam741 March 31 2014 at 12:12 PM

CHANCES ARE THIS WASN'T FIRST TIME!