MLB uses expanded replay for first time, call confirmed

First MLB Replay Unsuccessful

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Major League Baseball's use of expanded replay drew a workout in Monday's opener between the Chicago Cubs and the Pittsburgh Pirates, with one call being upheld and another overturned.

Cubs manager Rick Renteria asked umpires to take another look after Jeff Samardzija was called out at first base in the fifth inning Monday at PNC Park. The call was confirmed on replay after a 2-minute delay. That marked the first used of expanded replay in regular season play.

Umpires went to replay again in the 10th inning of a scoreless game, with the original safe call on an attempted pickoff play at first by Pittsburgh reliever Bryan Morris overturned after a 2 1-2-minute stoppage.

Most calls can be challenged this season under MLB's new replay format. The system was tested in spring training and managers didn't waste much time putting it to use on opening day.

Samardzija was batting with runners on first and second with no outs in the fifth when the Cubs pitcher attempted to move the runners up on a sacrifice bunt. The bunt rolled quickly back to Pittsburgh starter Francisco Liriano, who threw to third for one out, with third baseman Pedro Alvarez's throw to first appearing to beat Samardzija by a hair.

The call on the field was confirmed, with the packed house roaring its approval when home plate umpire John Hirschbeck signaled the call.

Chicago's Emilio Bonifacio singled with one out in the 10th when he dived back to first during a pickoff attempt by Morris. First base umpire Bob Davidson initially called Bonifacio safe. Pirates manager Clint Hurdle emerged from the dugout moments later to challenge the call, with Hirschbeck signaling the runner was out.

Randy March 31 2014 at 9:17 PM

tie goes to runner

Jorge March 31 2014 at 9:04 PM

About time!!

chefjohnp April 01 2014 at 7:58 AM

That was a excellent call!!!!!!! Give the umpires credit when credit is due. I personally think that this kind of thing is getting way out of hand. Yes, there have been calls in baseball that have cost some serious games, but the percentages still side with the ump's. That's life. Sure I wish that I had a camcorder on my shoulder when I had something bad happen to me so that I could have it reversed. It just doesn't work that way. Ever since 1911 ump's are required o take an annual eye exam. I think that they do a fantastic job!....and that call out at first is proof of that.

shepfbm March 31 2014 at 9:22 PM

I want to see a manager kick dirt on the robot

weynspirit April 01 2014 at 7:42 AM

this was to prove replay can be use to improve the games quality, and make it as fair as possible, i like the new rule, and think its a good thing, exspecially when the teams make it to the playoffs, where a bad call could loose the game for a team, and end the playoff hopes, get it right, LETS GO BUCKS, THIS IS OUR YEAR

gamay9 weynspirit April 01 2014 at 6:09 PM

Sorry to correct you, but, since you are a Pirates fan, how about BUCS, not BUCKS? The Bucks are a bad basketball team that loses intentionally to get a high draft pick. To be a true Pirates fan you have to study the game more intensely, especially concerning the BUCS.

tet5618 March 31 2014 at 9:29 PM

cubs on wrong side of calls again.

philsun73 April 01 2014 at 5:09 AM

It's a good way to test umpires just to see how accurate they are. In that manner we could weed out the blind umpires, and even have umpire of the year with correct call average's compared. And finally. A strike zone can be established, and I realize that zone may be different for each player depending on height. However I have seen some pitche's called a strike that were obviously out of the strike zone. I was playing in a game and the pitcher was throwing fast balls that were so low they could cut the grass. As the batter, those pitches were easy to read as to how low they were, still I was called out on strikes.. That was years ago, and if by the way, you can remember one time up at bat where such as that had happened, it had to be true. The next time up, I caused some hysterics because instead of a bat I had a golf club. That's how low the pitches were. Of course they made me use a bat, but I had made my point, and the pitches were at least higher, though still below the knees..

Jim March 31 2014 at 9:57 PM

It's just BS, isn'tit. As a former sports official, I know, and the fans know, I'm not going to get every play right, especially eye-blink calls on the bases. No referee or umpire ever calls a perfect game, never have never will. Once in a while a blown call will alter the outcome of a game, but that's life. Officiating at the professional level is so consistently good, I say ban the reply and live with the mistakes. They did for over a hundred years and the world didn't stop, so why start now.....And the games are planty long enough now as it is, with TV time-outs, why subject the fans to all those extra wasted minutes deciding something that, in the past, was just part of the game.

ewalter899 Jim March 31 2014 at 10:25 PM

It's all about the gambling.......

rb April 01 2014 at 3:49 AM

Known fact....the thrown baseball is faster than the runner. YOU'RE OUT!

mrsxm April 01 2014 at 3:17 AM