Engaged Johnny Depp shows off 'chick's ring'

Johnny Depp And Amber Heard Put Their Rings On Display!
BY LOUISE WATT
ASSOCIATED PRESS

BEIJING (AP) -- Johnny Depp showed off a diamond engagement ring that he called a "chick's ring" on Monday - indirectly confirming rumors of his engagement to actress Amber Heard.

Asked whether he was engaged, the "Pirates of the Caribbean" star replied: "The fact that I'm wearing a chick's ring on my finger is probably a dead giveaway. Not very subtle." He laughed as he lifted up his left hand and displayed a single diamond on a band around his ring finger.

His comments follow months of unconfirmed reports of his engagement to actress Heard, 27, who starred alongside Kevin Costner in "3 Days to Kill" released in the U.S. earlier this year.

In 2012, Depp split with his partner of 14 years, French model-singer Vanessa Paradis. They have two children.

In a trademark off-the-wall comment, Depp said: "I think that I would be better at making women's shoes than I would be at wedding planning, I can't plan anything. I'm really bad at that stuff."

The 50-year-old actor was in Beijing to promote his new movie "Transcendence." Depp plays a terminally ill scientist who downloads his mind into a computer in the sci-fi drama that asks: What if we could upload a human mind into a computer? It also stars Rebecca Hall as Depp's wife and Morgan Freeman.

"The technology that exists within the film, what I find most fascinating is that a lot of it exists already and by all accounts from scholars and professors and scientists that species of technology is not far away, that kind of artificial intelligence," said Depp in an interview.

"It's one of those films that one person is forced to make a choice in an instant, when your loved one is dying and you have a split-second decision if you have the ability to upload their consciousness into a computer, would you do that? It's quite a strange decision to make but for love I think we would all do it."

"Transcendence" comes out in China on April 18 - the same day as the U.S. release. China is the only country currently where "Transcendence" will be showing in 3-D - a format popular with Chinese audiences.

China is also the only international stop Depp is making as part of the movie's promotion tour, illustrating the growing attention Hollywood is paying to the country that now has the world's second-biggest box office after the United States.

Last Monday, Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson and Samuel L. Jackson promoted "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" in Beijing, followed the next day by "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" stars Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone and Jamie Foxx.

"With regard to Hollywood, China is quite a large market, certainly," said Depp, who was on his first visit to China. "I think there will be a lot more films coming here, a lot more people coming here and continuing the trend."

© 2014 THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED. Learn more about ourPRIVACY POLICY and TERMS OF USE.

Perry March 31 2014 at 11:02 AM

I viewed the video several times but still haven't seen the ice.

goodgrief61945 March 31 2014 at 2:40 PM

So where's the rings??

rohrscheibcroh goodgrief61945 March 31 2014 at 8:18 PM

on there fingers

ibk101 March 31 2014 at 2:26 PM

I know this probably looks bad to most people. But who knows the true story. I'm assuming they're happy together and enjoy each other's company and therefore I wish them well.

wollardjenny March 31 2014 at 12:10 PM

I will admit that I am not up on Hollywood news too much, thus reading Johnny Depp got or is or maybe engaged did catch my eye. I thought he was with someone else for many years and had two children. Congratulations, best wishes. I do wonder why he never married his former partner and mother of his children, then again that is their business. Off to some other news now.

bsaleh2362 wollardjenny March 31 2014 at 4:59 PM

He never married her because she didn't want to get married. He said if it became important to her, he would marry her. Then they split.

Pat March 31 2014 at 11:55 AM

Wonder why he never married Vanessa who he was with for years and had kids with?

Norma March 31 2014 at 11:55 AM

hate to see that, Johnny wasting himself on hollywood idiots when he could have me...tee hee

tuftybud March 31 2014 at 11:48 AM

Well Johnny Depp is absolutely gorgeous, so what can I say.. Shame for all us older women.. They all pick much younger ones... yet we older women still have ( IT)...!!

foxyconserv March 31 2014 at 10:59 AM

Yet they don't show the ring.

mouse March 31 2014 at 10:58 AM

The ad played but not the bit with Depp. I guess the jewelry people want to sell more diamonds so they get someone to go along with them. Used to be that the engagement ring was handed to a woman so if the man broke the engagement she would have something to live on when she sold the ring.

DEBRA March 31 2014 at 10:20 AM

Maybe Paradis didn't want to get married...ever think of that? French like that unmarried situation.

Maureen DEBRA March 31 2014 at 11:42 AM

Actually I saw her interviewed in France a few years ago and she would like to get married and even have more children