Con artist millionaire couple allegedly scams $165K in welfare

Con Artist Millionaire Couple Allegedly Scams $165K in Welfare
A couple on the run might call each other "Lord" and "Lady," but the welfare scam police say they pulled was anything but noble.

'A Minnesota couple on the run accused of collecting thousands of dollars in public assistance to fuel a lavish lifestyle that includes a mansion and a $1 million yacht. This morning, the self-proclaimed royals are on the run with their 7-year-old son.'

According to Daily Mail, police accuse 62-year-old Colin Chisholm and 54-year-old Andrea Chisholm of receiving more than $165,000 from Minnesota public assistance programs between January 2005 and March 2012 even though the couple had roughly $3 million in secret bank accounts.

WBBH reports the couple was living it up, spending thousands on luxury goods in just a few weeks, according to authorities.

'That included $23,000 worth of plane tickets, cell phone bills and fine dining in just one month.'

WCCO reports the couple listed Andrea's mother's home in Minneapolis as their residence when they first applied for welfare. Then, once approved, the couple moved to Florida where they lived on their $1.2 million yacht for more than two years before moving into a house.

But police say the couple didn't stop at Minnesota -- and that's when they made a mistake.

According to KARE, the couple was also receiving welfare payments from the state of Florida after they listed a Connecticut address, which actually turned out to be a UPS store.

The Chisholms are each charged with one felony count of wrongfully obtaining more than $35,000 in public assistance. Currently, the con artist duo is on the run, but a Minnesota county attorney predicts the Chisholms are soaking up the sun somewhere warm.

'This office is going to do every darn thing we can do to make sure these people do hard time.'

Daily Mail says the maximum sentence for the couple, if convicted, would be a $100,000 fine and 20 years in the slammer.

Drew April 01 2014 at 11:57 AM

They should get something being 54 and 62 with a 7 year old............

JANE AND JIM April 01 2014 at 12:39 PM

Our tax money goes to people like that every day. We, the tax payers, are being scammed. We should demand that our money go to only deserving people. We should demand a better way to find the scammers.

gdanjoh JANE AND JIM April 01 2014 at 1:31 PM

GOOD LUCK..I'VE TURNED PEOPLE IN AND NOTHING IS DONE..!!! BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT TURNING OVER BIG BUCK LIKE THE ONES THAT GOT CAUGHT. THIS COUPLE WASN'T AS MUCH WORK AS THE IF THEY HAD TO GO AFTER 100'S OF OTHERS COLLECTING SMALLER AMOUNTS EACH MONTH....OUR GOVERMENT SYSTEM DOESN'T WANT HAVE TO WORK THAT HARD..IT JUST EASIER FOR THEM TO SOCK ANOTHER TAX OR PROGRAM ON TO US TO PAY FOR SOMEONE ELES

Drew April 01 2014 at 1:13 PM

why do we always hear social security is going broke but never welfare?

yukyuk1995 April 01 2014 at 1:37 PM

I was forced into a medical retirement by my employer, who is a State agency, and I am struggling to get by on what little I have through my pension. I am fighting with the insurance company to just to equate to the 60% I am entitled to receive through the PERS program, yet with the monthly gross payment, I can't qualify for food stamps nor rent subsitity because I make too much. I checked my bank account this morning and discovered that I don't even have enough to pay for my rent let alone live for the rest of the month. Maybe I should stand out on the street corner like all the other bums and receive money tax free!

Cherie April 01 2014 at 1:38 PM

reallyyyy....lets add to the bucket.....pull ALL THE RECORDS OF THE SO CALLED MINORITIES and watch how they work other jobs and are using our money to pay for their stay here. they ALL need to be looked at. how about the ability to use ur EBT card at any store to buy liquor....really? system is jacked....but use the rich white folk who are scum as an example and drop the ball...KEEP GOING, LOOK AT EVERYONE. I tried to get on public assistance after i fell and broke my foot, cuz i was single old and white i didnt qualify. i had been a corporate worker since i was 17.....really......

Susan Cherie April 01 2014 at 1:57 PM

If you honestly believe that your being white had anything to do with why you were refused benefits, I truly feel sorry for you , because your paranoia is clearly getting the best of you. People are not refused benefits based on being old and white. How can someone be a "so-called minority"? You are either in a minority, or not. You can't make that up. It is bitter, selfish people like yourself that perpetuates the racial divide in this country. By the way, do you have a job? Did you have a job when you broke your foot? I broke my foot a few years ago, and I still got to work on the New York subways. I am 60 years old and single. I got to work. Stop crying about your lot in life and move on. By the way, an adult using the non-word, "cuz" might have something to do with why you are not gainfully employed. Grow up.

vobox3343 Cherie April 01 2014 at 2:01 PM

You sound upset that the information you believe to be typical of "MINORITIES" didn't keep the authorities from figuring out that you were trying to scam the system. You, the corporate worker, would or should have had employment insurance that would have easily covered something like a broken foot What a story!!

gtm1549 April 01 2014 at 1:41 PM

there are the people that know how to work the system that don't need it and then the ones who need it but can't get it. This system sucks. We need to start over and shoot the ones who are ripping us off.

deanlofaro11 April 01 2014 at 1:41 PM

scamming the system becoming popular with the rich and famous. WOW

LoveTheShackDude April 01 2014 at 1:42 PM

People like those scams makes it so very bad for those in Need.
It's a shame.....

teeveequeen LoveTheShackDude April 01 2014 at 2:17 PM

EVERYONE who collects $$$ from any form of government assistance is SCAMMING the American People !!!

victoriacoventry April 01 2014 at 1:43 PM

I hope they both do no less than 5-10 yrs in prison. Even then I'm only being lenient because of the 7 yr. old innocent child.

agilespot victoriacoventry April 01 2014 at 2:02 PM

Why should their having a child merit a more lenient sentence? The child might be innocent, but is no more deserving than a lot of other 7 yr. olds whose parents never gave them a yacht to live on. Nor are the parents any less guilty than a childless person committing the same crime.

jgesselberty April 01 2014 at 1:46 PM

If you think this is isolated, you are likely wrong. There are a lot of people on the dole who take away from the truly needy. And, you don't have to be a millionaire to do it.

maha432 jgesselberty April 01 2014 at 1:55 PM

I agree. I saw a woman at the grocery store, when the economy was really good, buying her food with food stamps. she had on very nice career clothes, lots of jewelry on (looked real) and then got into a $40,000 - $50,000 brand new car.

nikeiausa maha432 April 01 2014 at 2:08 PM