Josh Charles on the week's sports highlights and what's next

Josh Charles Jokes About Being Killed Off Of

'Good Wife' leaves viewers shocked, bereaved

NEW YORK (AP) -- The shocking death of dashing attorney Will Gardner on "The Good Wife" on Sunday's episode was driven by actor Josh Charles' desire to leave the CBS drama in its fifth season.

Charles had told the show's producers that "I was ready for the next chapter of my life, both creatively and personally," in an interview excerpt provided by CBS on Monday.

In a true surprise for viewers of the show, Gardner was gunned down in a Chicago courtroom by his unhinged client. Gardner was one of the show's central characters as the former colleague and lover of Alicia Florrick, the "wife" played by series star Julianna Margulies.

The twist will force Margulies' character to examine all aspects of her life, producers said.

"She's going to miss the existence of Will," Margulies said of her character. "He was a powerful aphrodisiac in her life."

Once the episode had aired, Twitter lit up with astonished, sorrowful and even irate posts.

One viewer called for a group hug, while another issued a plea for a counselor to treat jolted fans. Yet another viewer expressed hope that, as with "Dallas" long ago in revealing Bobby Ewing's death to be only a dream, "The Good Wife" would find Gardner stepping out of his shower next week, alive and well.

Other viewers vowed never to watch the show again, as payback.

Charles said he appreciated the support of fans, but urged those who are upset to take a step back.

"I understand that there will be audience members who will be upset," Charles said. "I would just tell them that I guarantee it will continue to be an excellent show. I know I'm going to keep watching it."

His death and Charles' decision to exit the show had been well-guarded secrets. Charles, who entered the series with a four-year contract, opted not to re-up when it expired after last season, according to his publicist.

Charles' past TV work includes the ABC dramedy series "SportsNight" and a season playing a client of therapist Gabriel Byrne on the HBO drama "In Treatment."

---

Associated Press Television Writer David Bauder contributed to this report.

© 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

vancurren March 29 2014 at 5:02 PM

It's just a TV show. It's not real. Neither are reality shows.

hollandarc vancurren March 29 2014 at 5:37 PM

It sounds like you're explaining this to yourself. The rest of us, hopefully already know this.

kimstrezz March 30 2014 at 12:26 AM

Oh Sports Night! How I have missed you! For four brief shining minutes Danny was back. :)

hollandarc March 29 2014 at 5:36 PM

So where's the "what's next" part of this story?

mickioltarsh March 29 2014 at 5:44 PM

fans may not have noticed but a new character has been introduced last week. the british actor
MATTHEW GOODE. I have been watching his films for many years and enjoy him. I hope he is the replacement for will. hold on fans!!!

Chip's Haven March 29 2014 at 6:04 PM

Love it!

oldcat March 29 2014 at 6:10 PM

Just when it looked like Kalinda was leaving it turned out Will left. Hope they neve rget rid of Kalinda, Archie is fabulous.

ohgal oldcat March 29 2014 at 7:28 PM

i agree

makohachiska March 29 2014 at 6:22 PM

The show has facinating people/incidents. Intriguing. I'm devastated that Will will no longer be on. However, the scripts are good, other actors are strong, its a pretty sophisticated 1 hour show. I try to see it whenever I can. Its a heavy compitation with Sunday's PBS programs for me.
I'm looking forward to tomorrow's show.
I have only basic/extended programs. When will you do re-runs for me to catch up?

EDMAN March 30 2014 at 12:00 AM

I remember Josh from ABC's Sports Night and I still wonder to this day why that show was cancelled after such a short run. It was funny,sensitive and heartwarming. Remember the Station Manager
Felicity Hoffman who then went on a long run in "Desperate Housewives"? To this day I still miss that show and wonder what happened to that show and shows like them (Men of a Certain Age).
That's why I choose Showtime or Starz for all of my series viewing instead of the garbage the networks show and continue to cancel week after week.

Bill March 30 2014 at 4:15 AM

The headline said Charlea was divulging his future plans. No future plans were divulged. Instead all we got was a reprinting of the article that ran last Monday.

collectorlen March 29 2014 at 11:14 PM

I would have rather seen the ending with him being shot and killed in bed with Alicia, and you didn't see who the shooter was.