Wynonna Judd and husband on the day everything changed

ET Now: Wynonna Judd and Husband On the Day Everything Changed
On August 18, 2012, Wynonna Judd and her husband Michael, who goes by Cactus, were out on a Harley ride with a few friends in South Dakota. Then, the unthinkable happened: he collided with a car, immediately severing his leg.

Wynonna, who was riding just 10 feet behind her husband at the time of the crash, opened up to ET's Nancy O'Dell about their horrifying ordeal and how they managed to make it through such a difficult time.

"I saw the leg implode," Wynonna, 49, recalled. "I knew it was gone the second I ran up on him. I already knew."

While the doctor's weren't able to save Cactus' leg, they were able to save his life. Fifteen months later, they helped him back on his feet once again by giving him a prosthetic leg, and allowing him and Wynonna to get back to doing what they love most: playing music.

lthrnck68 March 29 2014 at 7:02 AM

Who's fault was the accident?

vicwithag March 29 2014 at 12:02 PM

David

luckylucy502004 March 29 2014 at 9:58 AM

so sorry about losing your leg cactus .just let good lord above take care of your new leg

jfmurr3 luckylucy502004 March 29 2014 at 10:07 AM

Well for Heaven's Sake Lady! Let him take care of his own prosthesis! God is busy letting babies starve to death in their mothers' arms.

davidt33499 March 29 2014 at 11:55 AM

I lost my left leg on a bike almost 50 years ago and it didn't do much to slow me down. I played softball three days a week for many years, tromped the woods and fields hunting, waded in trout streams. You pretty much can do anything you want to.

William J davidt33499 March 29 2014 at 1:22 PM

Now for a word about the downside?

ellen0115 davidt33499 March 29 2014 at 2:45 PM

Your a Trooper David! I don't know you but I am proud of you! Its people like you that Inspire others. Those are the types of reality shows we need to have no this bullshit crap that's on TV. We need to have real hero's that have had REAL loss and made it through. You didn't let the loss of your leg change you or make you any different than any other boy your age. (I don't know how it was when you were a boy) But I am guessing you endured! Almost 50 years ago and you used to play softball! OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!

mcbetty65 March 29 2014 at 5:02 PM

Kudos to Cactus and Wy. My family has followed the Judds since the early days; and this is the first time I heard about this particular accident. It's great that he could come through this and come back strong. Many blessings to them both.

falcon13west March 29 2014 at 11:15 AM

Wynonna's husband experience a terrible loss when his leg was amputated but he is alive. It would be nice if they did a PSA on both caregiver/spouse and the amputee. My husband (the caregiver) and I (the amputee) try to help new amputees and caregivers. We do need a NATIONAL spokesperson on the experiences caregivers and amputees go through with dealing with all aspects of amputation. and the medical field.

redband March 29 2014 at 11:42 AM

In reading the story I happened to notice that Wynonna's husband looked a lot like the red sox picture Curt Schilling. There was a story about look a likes the other day. Everyone keep Boston in there prayers they have had a hard two years.

wgaryruff March 29 2014 at 5:14 PM

of all the people I have ever dreamed of meeting in my life is Ms. Wynonna, she has ben through hell and back and still knows what real values are. She is one American treasure i would love to set down and tal with over a coke are pepsi. i wish her her Mom her Sister all the best threee very classey and talented ladies Gods love to each and everyone of you . Love Ya Gary R. Winters

pooleconsulting March 29 2014 at 11:29 AM

Yep, you know the old saying about motor cycles.....it isn't if you are going to have an accident but when you will have one. If you ride long enough the odds of having anything from a minor to a major accident is in your favor.

Daddy March 29 2014 at 6:44 PM

My prayers go out to them.

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal